Another oem upgrade for my pre-lci M2

Discussion in '1M and M2' started by Bee Pee, Jun 29, 2019.

1. 29 Jun 2019 at 10:04 PM #1
    Bee Pee

Bee Pee On the path

Your Motor:
    M2
    Oem m2comp alloy brace parts retrofitted and the initial impressions are:-

1. Car feels more "rigid" & helm definitely feels more responsive but that might be placebo;

2. Even the m2 EPS has typical bmw dead zone either side of just off centre is less now than before;

3. Had a very slight NVH with old top mounts which has now gone with new M2Comp top mounts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to get pucker strut top rubber covers to finish the job off.

Will drive as-is for a while prior to adding CFRP brace part so as I can gauge the difference between alloy brace only and alloy + CFRP braces, ahead of NC500 next weekend.

I’m happy

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    FuManchu likes this.
  2. 30 Jun 2019 at 10:03 AM #2
    chrisc

chrisc Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M2
    Colour Combo:
    Pink
    Looking good!

Don't we have braces anyway? Can't even remember what's under there lol. Though changing spark plugs looked easy, so maybe not.

3. 30 Jun 2019 at 4:45 PM #3
    M Fifty

M Fifty Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2017 M2, 2002 330ci, 2003 M3 (deceased)
    What did you do about torquing up the rivnuts?

4. 30 Jun 2019 at 9:22 PM #4
    Bee Pee

Bee Pee On the path

Your Motor:
    M2
    Managed to borrow a thin walled deep socket.

5. 3 Jul 2019 at 4:42 PM #5
    Bee Pee

Bee Pee On the path

Your Motor:
    M2
    Update:-

whilst front wheels were off, peeled back front part of archliner and swapped out xenon bulbs to Nightbreaker plus unlimited. Took the car out for a late night cross country thrash.

The chassis tweaks already on my car means EPS feel, response and grip levels are already much better than standard. My observations made above stand and in particular the reduced "dead-band" from EPS just off straight ahead. Car reacts now with less initial steering input but is not busy/darty in a straight line. Took the car down some swift, empty A&B roads and the stiffer body means that MPerf coilovers feel like they are more able at managing the contact patch between tyre & asphalt.

Someone from F87post forum - who's added F8x alloy & CFRP brace to their OG M2 - said to expect the car's helm to have more feel thru long sweeping bends - they were right. Plus, it's much more adept at coping with mid corner imperfections.

So, having retrofitted the F8x alloy brace, I'm all set for pedalling the car around NC500 with a couple of Porsche driving buddies this weekend. Then, on the way back down from Scotland, the guys at Center Gravity will be able to work their magic, my car is in there for full blown chassis tune ie damper dyno/corner weighting and fast road alignment, knowing the front end is more rigid than the std OG M2.

Oh yes, xenon bulbs upgrade works well too !!!!

BP

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Peter Wood and Steveo like this.
  6. 4 Jul 2019 at 5:43 PM #6
    Steveo

Steveo Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    M4
    Looks like it’s more sturdy and rigid on the M2C :thumbsup:

7. 4 Jul 2019 at 7:00 PM #7
    Bee Pee

Bee Pee On the path

Your Motor:
    M2
    Definitely

This is what came off.....

[​IMG]

c/w 4 bolt fixings

And was replaced by this....

[​IMG]

c/w 10 bolt fixings and snug spigot fit onto L&R top mounts.

8. 10 Jul 2019 at 10:13 AM #8
    Peter Wood

Peter Wood A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    F87 M2
    Bee Pee do you need new top hat mounts for the alloy brace to be installed?

If so I can't work out when you buy them is the price each (if so, quite a lot for what it is!) or do they come as a pair?

And if you JUST do alloy brace you don't need to cut any plastic parts the scuttle covers can go right back on top?

I read about clearance issues/people wrapping with tape also, with what parts are these issues?

Cheers

9. 10 Jul 2019 at 11:57 AM #9
    Bee Pee

Bee Pee On the path

Your Motor:
    M2
    Pete

Yes - you need different top mounts and I’ve gone for M2Comp versions as I know they are compatible with MPerf coilovers.

Have read folks having issues with M3/M4 versions as threaded length for top nut can be too short.

If doing alloy brace only then you can reuse plastics with some cutting/trimming.

The alloy brace sits close to positive terminal - for install just disconnect negative terminal and there should be an isolating rubber strip on the brace. If not, just wrap some insulation tape on the brace so as there’s no chance of contact between alloy of brace and positive terminal. Once installed nothing will move.

10. 10 Jul 2019 at 7:15 PM #10
    M Fifty

Your Motor:
    The hinge covers also need trimming if you use the original parts, but M2C hinge covers fit fine.

The key to making the affordable is to get the aluminium and carbon braces (and possibly the removable scuttle panels and rubber strut covers) used, and buy everything else (top hats, bolts, hinge covers, windscreen trim, push rivets) new.

HTH

11. 10 Jul 2019 at 7:17 PM #11
    M Fifty

Your Motor:
    Also, the bracket for the ABS unit can get in the way, as can the brake pipe that runs back towards the bulkhead.

12. 10 Jul 2019 at 10:41 PM #12
    Peter Wood

Your Motor:
    F87 M2
    Thanks guys, I'll look at getting the M2 comp top hats then, hopefully they're compatible with AST coilovers as will be looking to get them fitted as an Xmas present to myself/the car:)

I just got a great deal on the carbon brace, alloy strut, bolts, gaskets for £360 off an M4 via a brakers on eBay, they're coming tomorrow!

I don't mind trying Dremel option, it's free after all, and if I fluff it up can then just buy the plastic parts separately I figure.
    Though just read BeePee's comment about alloy only you can Dremel inferring something different for when installing the CF?

Looks like I need a few plastic push rivets too?
    I don't need a new 'landing plate' do I? I.e. the foremost metal section nearest the bumper where the latch inserts into.

Dumb question are the hinge covers where the bonnet articulates? The thing where one side it has the red positive terminal cover also? Or is it something else.

13. 11 Jul 2019 at 7:52 AM #13
    M Fifty

Your Motor:
    Good price!

In reverse order:

The hinge covers are the bits where the bonnet articulates. You will need to either cut them or replace them if fitting the alloy brace.

The landing plate on the M2 is the same as the one on the M4, so no problem there - although you will need to remove the central pin of the air intake mount to give clearance for the CF brace.

The push rivets are cheap, so best to buy a bag as it can be easy to damage them when undoing them

If you don't install the CF brace you won't need to cut the existing scuttle panel around the jump start terminal. The one in BeePee's picture in the first post is from the M2C (or M4) and need the windscreen trim from the M2C to fit.

14. 11 Jul 2019 at 10:51 PM #14
    Peter Wood

Your Motor:
    F87 M2
    So remove the pin and discard it or does it go back? If not what secures the intake tube?

Thanks for the info guys, good to have a thread reference for the clueless like me!

I got the braces today, the carbon is so amazingly rigid and impossible to deform despite its weight it's unnerving. You can definitely see that it can take structural loads in a car and make a difference. You could stand on this thing easy (on the end, vertically) and it would take it in its stride I reckon.

15. 12 Jul 2019 at 7:57 AM #15
    M Fifty

Your Motor:
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Peter Wood likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)