Akrapovic/MPE knockoff tips on ebay - anyone tried these?

Discussion in 'E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)' started by achand10, Mar 4, 2018.

1. 5 Mar 2018 at 10:06 AM #21
    boba fett

boba fett Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    N/A
    Ahhh, I can see how they will not fit properly together now due to the distance, looks like its going to be a faff.

2. 5 Mar 2018 at 12:59 PM #22
    JonnieD

JonnieD Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    M3 E92
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini blue / black leather
    I like the look of the carbon tips, but I'd feel a fraud using those I think!

Another thought, I know there's no carbon, but you can find a few decent backbox systems used which have similar tips to the E92 MPE. Mine is a Milltek shown below in stainless steel, but they do it in black as well.

I think you'd find a used system for between £350 - £500 and most would give a performance improvement too?

[​IMG]

3. 6 Mar 2018 at 6:13 PM #23
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    I get your point Jonnie. For me though, the looks of these tips are what makes them attractive rather than the Akrapovic logo on them and as such, if I can find some without any logos - I'd chose non-logo ones over these any day of the week.

To be honest, I quite like the way the 2.5 pipe mod sounds and looking to keep that as is. If ever it leaves me wanting more - I would prefer to go for an Eisenmann Race full system.
    Did your car come with a Milltek system from when you bought it or that was added on by you? How do you like it? Does the Milltek system drone on the motorway - I have heard the Millteks on the E46s were notorious in that respect

That M3 badge is Mahoosive! :) F8* badge, is it?

Off-tangent - is the car in your profile pic the same as the above? The regs are different, hence the question. Whats the front lip spoiler you have got on? Is it a Vorsteiner VRS lip spoiler? Any pics of the front of your car? I have been torn between these and carbon corners myself. :think:

Cheers,
    A

4. 6 Mar 2018 at 6:54 PM #24
    davie3door

davie3door Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    F10 M5 F10 535d
    Guys these tips are complete junk and look naff!!

5. 7 Mar 2018 at 9:57 AM #25
    JonnieD

Your Motor:
    M3 E92
    Colour Combo:
    I agreed with you about those tips. Don't get me wrong I do like the Akra ones and their whole exhaust, but maybe you can get them without the logo's?

The Milltek sounds really good, it was on my car when I bought it. Though I've heard quite a lot of non standard systems "in the flesh" to know that if I were to buy a new system, it would definitely be a strong contender. There is no drone whatsoever.

I didn't like the modified boxes I've heard, or the MPE which was too soft sounding. Like always though, everyone has their own preferences, and these are mine. The sound is also affected by what cats you're running (or not) too!

Yeah, that's an F80 badge, I had the smaller one and it was too small for my tastes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The splitter is a Vorsteiner copy from SSDD Motorsport. I really like the more carbon look, the corner ones were too subtle for me!

Jonathan

6. 7 Mar 2018 at 11:43 AM #26
    RS Grant

RS Grant Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    M3 Comp Pack
    Colour Combo:
    Space Grey with Extended Red Leather
    Interesting to get some feedback on a Milltek because most of the reviews I’ve seen are on Akra or Eisenmann. Do you have any cats removed on your car? Is the Milltek raspy at all or more of a bassy V8 note?

It sits well with your bigger diffuser, but does it sit quite proud with a standard diffuser or look ok?

Sorry for the questions but I’m ‘needing’ to change my exhaust and at the moment a Milltek is the favourite option given I’ve had good experience with them before.

7. 7 Mar 2018 at 4:09 PM #27
    rusticm3

rusticm3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Imola Red
    If i decided to move to a E92 i will be doing this. As pointed out they sit too wide to line up with the pipes from the box anyway. What i was thinking was a custom made system to how i wanted it sounding with these tips fitted. I think they look great fitted.

8. 7 Mar 2018 at 5:27 PM #28
    Sm4ug

Sm4ug On the path

Your Motor:
    E93 M3 Convertible DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Interlagos Blue/Black
    I was considering them myself until I saw E93 M3 with those on other day and they do look stupid not to mention you can tell right away it's not the proper thing, maybe the way this guy had them mounted sticking too far out (he basically had the whole thing sticking out) made it even worse but I'll pass.

How is the Milltek on E9X ? I used to have one on E46 M3 and it was droning, it had nice loud sound especially above 4k rpm and it did give it more serious sound when starting but during motorway cruise the drone was real.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  9. 8 Mar 2018 at 9:20 AM #29
    JonnieD

Your Motor:
    M3 E92
    Colour Combo:
    I agree, though you will find some YouTube vids of the Milltek too. But its hard to compare like with like, as deleting the cats does make a big difference. With all systems doing that adds a harder edge and more raspy sound. So as far as I can tell from my (not recorded) listening, of those 3 assuming a decat set-up: the Akra has the deepest and fullest sound, with a nice rasp. The Eisenmann was higher pitched and with a harder edge and rasp. The Milltek is quite close to the Akra, slightly less deep and full.

I think the Milltek looks ok without an add-on diffuser, the pipes do stick a bit further out, but not too far I think. I bought my car with the Milltek and rear diffuser though.

The comments I've had from others who've had or seen older Milltek's (on the E46 for example) is that mine seems better made. It certainly looks very good to me. Obviously its cheaper to make in SS than titanium, so you can see reason for the higher costs in some of the others.

10. 8 Mar 2018 at 9:25 AM #30
    JonnieD

Your Motor:
    M3 E92
    Colour Combo:
    There's no drone. Its great at cruising speeds, only obtrusive when you hit the loud pedal!

The only characteristic I do find, is that it sounds louder at 2000-2200 rpm. I put that down a natural resonance in the engine, one that I've heard the BMW M engineer talk about as being on the S65.

11. 8 Mar 2018 at 12:38 PM #31
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    That front lip looks Ace Jonathan! :thumbsup:

12. 13 Mar 2018 at 9:16 PM #32
    TheCoolCat

TheCoolCat Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    2010 BMW M3 e92
    Colour Combo:
    White/Black
    This is my car, I expanded my pipes to fit the tips, a lot of work but the best route to go down.

13. 13 Mar 2018 at 9:21 PM #33
    TheCoolCat

Your Motor:
    2010 BMW M3 e92
    Colour Combo:
    White/Black
    This is actually my car,lol.

14. 13 Mar 2018 at 10:11 PM #34
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    :muttley: That escalated quickly!
    Would be interested in knowing the mod you carried out in some more detail CoolCat. Have you got more pictures from other angles? Really keen to see how these look like fitted on the car.

Cheers,
    A

15. 13 Mar 2018 at 10:28 PM #35
    Nick L

Nick L Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Fox Red novillo leather,piano black
    I did buy these tips but never got round to fitting them in the end still in the shed, I had reducers made to fit my original pipes after removing original tips and then the new tips slide straight on to the reducers but then we had to cut the reducers and move them apart, so after all this I lost interest and bind the idea.

16. 14 Mar 2018 at 6:50 AM #36
    TheCoolCat

Your Motor:
    2010 BMW M3 e92
    Colour Combo:
    White/Black
    Like many others, the first mod I done was the exhaust, I got the 4 pipe mod and loved and still do the sound. Then, the carbon came and I was going through fleabay and these came up, it was the carbon that attracted me to them, I think Ive since seen, carbon tips without the Akrapovic label on them since. When they arrived, I was pleased with the standard of them but as you all know, their much larger than the 'standard' exhaust, so myself and my mechanic, took the exhaust off and expanded the exhaust so the tips would fit. Ive OCD and to fit reducers to me, was out, I believe to expand the exhaust is the route to go, find a mechanic who can do this, its amazing how strong the exhaust is, took us a few hours. Ive fitted a small diffuser, between the tips, but dont believe any larger would fit, due to the size of the tips, which I love. My cars currently off road sorn, but ill take a few more photos at the weekend.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. 14 Mar 2018 at 3:33 PM #37
    waring192

waring192 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2015 F82 M4
    Colour Combo:
    SS II / Extended Black Merino
    I bought some MPE knockoff tips for my M4 M Performance Exhaust (I got it cheap as the previous owner had the carbon tips nicked!). The kick-off ones slid inside the MPE and if fitted would stick out about 4" or more!!

Just bit the bullet and bought 4 Carbon Genuine MPE tips from Cotswold in the end.

18. 14 Mar 2018 at 5:11 PM #38
    rusticm3

rusticm3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Imola Red

So are you saying that they sit side by side and still centre on the tubes exiting the back box? I was made to believe that they are too big to line up with the back box pipes? in other words a bend of some sort would be needed between the backbox and one of the tail pipes on each side?

Thanks

19. 14 Mar 2018 at 5:22 PM #39
    Nick L

Nick L Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Fox Red novillo leather,piano black
    Correct.:thumbsup:

20. 14 Mar 2018 at 5:49 PM #40
    TheCoolCat

Your Motor:
    2010 BMW M3 e92
    Colour Combo:
    White/Black
    We were able to get enough of a bend when heating and expanding, its very slight.Look at my picture, perfectly straight.Make sure you know a mechanic, or someone who can do the job and for them, its not too difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)