Airbag module dead...code F0 240

Discussion in 'BMW Diagnostic, programming and software discussion' started by M3 LOVE M3, Apr 16, 2019.

1. 16 Apr 2019 at 10:42 AM #1
    M3 LOVE M3

M3 LOVE M3 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2004 ///M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver/black
    Hi folks.

Started my car the other day to find the airbag light stuck on. The car had sat for almost two weeks and just about started. I assumed it would be low power kicking out the module so took it for a good run,turned the engine off and back on and still the airbag light glared at me. I went straight for inpa and tried to clear it. I had a fault stored,code 240 which I now believe is a dead module,but didn't know at the time so tried to clear it with INPA and DIS but had no joy and now I cant even access the module,like it doesn't exist.
    I've done some research but its left me a bit confused as it seems to be conflicting.

The car is a 2004 m3 coupe.
    The part no is 65776933238

First question.

Can I fix the module by recoding it with NCS EXPERT or is it to be thrown away.

Second question.

Can I buy a used module of the same part no and code it to my car with NCS EXPERT. Is the process easy?
    Could I get advice on how to do it?
    I've coded various things on the GM5 module and added M Track mode myself by using guides found on this forum but as yet not had to replace a module.

Third question.

Is there any other options open to me?

There is a module for sale on fleebay at the moment that was removed from a 2003 m3 coupe with part no 65776912755. REAL OEM says its 'non exchangeable' but also says it ran till 24/3/05. Does this mean it could be used on my car without coding?

I'd prefer to have the correct part no coded to the car as I'm a bit of a purist.

Thanks in advance

Andy

2. 11 Nov 2019 at 6:18 PM #2
    Bluem3

Bluem3 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Bmw e46 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue
    Did you sort this and what was the solution please? I have same daily. Car garaged and dry. Battery charged. No bad wiring, corrosion or wet sensors. Car suddenly threw code and only info I can find is EPROM has stored fault that can’t be cleared without soldering sites to it and wiping. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

3. 12 Nov 2019 at 7:52 AM #3
    M3 LOVE M3

Your Motor:
    2004 ///M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver/black
    My solution was to buy a used module from ebay and code it to the car. I managed to get one for a fiver :).
    I believe the module just simply died. Probably due to a low battery forcing it to write the 240 code to it. Which then means it needs to be flashed to reset.
    I had the airbag light flicker on and off a few times over the course of a month,then it just stayed on so I replaced it with one of the same part number cleared all codes on the car and was left with the code IFH-0009 which I believe is no power to the module so then checked and found I had not put the airbag fuse back in:rolleyes:
    I fitted the fuse in and was then able to read the airbag module so cleared the faults that were stored and coded it to the car and have had no trouble since.
    It was very easy to replace the module and if your fairly experienced with INPA the coding is not too much bother either.

I'd read that failure of the airbag module is common as they are very sensitive to battery voltage and are trigger happy with regards to the 240 code.

I'd say your module is on it way out mate and will need replacing at some point

Good luck with it and if you need any more info just ask.

Bluem3 likes this.
  4. 12 Nov 2019 at 6:10 PM #4
    Bluem3

Bluem3 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Bmw e46 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue
    Thank you so much for your help. Not much info on the net about this. You have been a great help.

5. 13 Nov 2019 at 10:01 AM #5
    M3 LOVE M3

Your Motor:
    2004 ///M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver/black
    No problem mate,hope you get it sorted.

If you're planning on doing this yourself,please make sure to disconnect your battery and wait for the airbag system to discharge before removing anything. Ten minutes is normally the guided time.

Good luck, and post back if it solves your problem for the benefit of others.

6. 13 Nov 2019 at 10:38 AM #6
    Bluem3

Bluem3 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Bmw e46 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue
    Will update on outcome. Thanks again for help.

7. 21 Nov 2019 at 6:56 PM #7
    Bluem3

Bluem3 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Bmw e46 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue
    Update on this. Got a secondhand module with same part numbers and fitted to car disconnecting battery etc. I had read old module parameters first using ncs expert and printed them off. Fitted new module and read new module parameters and then compared the difference to which old and new were the same. Didn’t actually write any data to new module as data the same and not that confident with ncs expert. Powered everything back up and all works fine. I wanted to make sure data was the same as in the data different airbags are active or not active I presume on how car is configured so wanted to make sure all airbags recognised.
    Thanks for help and hope this helps someone else. Only thought is what caused it to flag fault in first place...... time will tell!

8. 6 Dec 2019 at 4:44 PM #8
    M3 LOVE M3

Your Motor:
    2004 ///M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver/black
    Thanks for updating. :peace:
    That's Awesome mate :).

My data/parameters were the same too but I coded it just incase (as I don't really understand it,and because I like messing). I estimate that a new module and labour at BMW would have set me back around £900,so fixing it for a fiver and a Saturday afternoon cheered me up hugely after the frustration and confusion of it happening.
    I've had no light come on since myself. I think the software in this unit is written in such a way as to prevent unknown possibilities so it is better to get a warning light than to have an accident and the airbag not deploy. Unfortunately that means spending money/time when it plays up.

Happy driving mate,and watch out this time of year,these machines are super tail happy:D:D:D Unless you like that sort of thing:drive1:

9. 6 Dec 2019 at 5:03 PM #9
    Bluem3

Bluem3 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Bmw e46 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue
    Thanks. Love a tail happy car! Tested throughly now and no reoccurrence of fault. Car now stored and tucked away until salt gone off the road. Roll on spring!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)