Advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'Bikes. Trikes?' started by BimmerMThree, Jul 26, 2020.

1. 26 Jul 2020 at 2:38 PM #1
    BimmerMThree

BimmerMThree On the path

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Have wanted to get on a bike for a while.

I know CBT is the first step - but having never rode a motorbike I would appreciate any tips and advice that you think are important for a beginner.

Really want a Yamaha R-125 even though they seem to have the Vauxhall Corsa equivalent reputation in the bike world.

Thanks

2. 27 Jul 2020 at 8:26 AM #2
    mattwade24

mattwade24 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Steel Grey / Cinnamon
    My advise would be to go for it..! The CBT is designed for beginners with little to no experience, so you're taking the right steps and you'll get all the training needed on the day to ensure you're safe. From there, it's just riding experience which will come with time.

Undoubtedly, you will get bored (and possibly even fed up) of the 125cc quite quickly. The bigger bikes are on another level, so don't let the 125 put you off from advancing!

Only other advice is not to skimp on the protective gear.. it's your last line off defence should the worst ever happen.

Best of luck with it.

BimmerMThree likes this.
  3. 28 Jul 2020 at 7:49 AM #3
    Mr K

Mr K Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2006 E63 M6
    Colour Combo:
    Interlagos blue/silverstone
    As above, protective gear is most important even on a 125. gravel rash hurts at 30mph coming off a 125 or an R1, dont ever compromise even if it is 90 degrees

BimmerMThree likes this.
  4. 28 Jul 2020 at 10:24 PM #4
    4 Alpha Zulu

4 Alpha Zulu On the path

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 2003
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black/black
    Have you thought about direct access ,DAS.
    Don't know how old you are but there are differing routes if under or over 24
    https://www.rmtnet.co.uk/courses/learner-information/das/
    You still have to do CBT but allows you to ride larger bikes rather than muck about with 125cc, you will quickly tire of them.

As said don't skimp on protective gear, add it into your budget as it can mount up.
    Check out insurance costs too, depending on your location they can be fairly hefty.
    Have you somewhere safe to garage a bike as they are sadly easy to steal, I know from bitter experience.

They are great fun to ride and own, I've got 6 of them from a crappy Honda scooter for work to an R1.

BimmerMThree likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)