Adding audio alerts to your BMW MK4 nav system.

Discussion in 'General maintenance, upgrades and modifications' started by ccfj1, Apr 16, 2009.

1. 16 Apr 2009 at 1:14 PM #1
    ccfj1

ccfj1 Staff Member Moderator

Your Motor:
    July 2010, 335i Msport
    Colour Combo:
    Black Novaro / Ruby Black Metallic
    Adding audio alerts to your BMW MK4 SatNav system.

Adding POI Sound alerts to your BMW MK4 nav system.

This is a 2 stage mod for both the OS and Map disc, you must do both or it won't work.

To borrow sniperboys caveat.
    You should know that there are risks to doing the upgrade on your own, so do so knowing that risk is present. Although rare, problems can occur if update steps aren't followed properly or there are issues with the media or the vehicle. However, if you would like to risk upgrading the Navigation Computer software yourself, you can follow these instructions at your own risk.

NOTE:
    There are a few limitations with using the alerts, here is how it works

Example; you are travailing at 30mph, and the area around you car is 300m, (imaging a bubble with you in the centre), the nav "asks" the main POI DB if there are any loaded POI in the bubble area around the car (every 3 seconds), if the answer is yes, the nav triggers the alert (but only once).

However, if you stop or slow down (or go close to zero mph), then when speeding up again (and still in target area) then the trigger will sound the alert again.

Also the Alert will sound even if the camera is not on the road ahead, it could be on another road, but will sound as it (the camera) will be in the "bubble" around the car.

The trigger is speed/distance related, so the system will give you at least 15 seconds warning to target, regardless of speed.

This Mod will allow you to have a 2nd POI selected (as well as the preloaded cameras) so you still get cameras and any other POI. (i use mine for cameras and mobile/red-light cameras), but the alert only works on the preloaded POI.

Since this is a hack to the OEM system and is non OEM then there will be some things that don't/won't work as you want them.

Now to work, first you need some software; these are just an example others work just as well; (these are not the only ones you can use, its the ones I use, that’s all).

This file POISon.zip.pdf, remove the .pdf then unzip

GTK+ Libraries: http://www.gtk.org/download.html
    Navspeak: http://rapidshare.com/files/8925664/navspeak.zip.html

Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/
    UltraIso: http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

To mod the splash screen,sky, pointers, and camera icon you need this app.
    Navtweak: http://rapidshare.com/files/8925524/navtweak.zip.html

Then the latest version on the firmware.
    v32: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IP0KD0O0

Pre Modded V31/v32 version (with my mods, sky, pointers and splash), This download has all the mods done and is an update so should update any OEM version of the OS on your mk4 (unless you have modded your OS already with an update done by me before).
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5RO7BIFA

It has a fully patched navboot and custom sound, "hi-beep, lo-beep, speed camera ahead", in a very similar voice to the OEM Nav.

If you use this file, jump straight to the mod the Map disc part.

POI DB, Take a look at http://www.poiplaza.com/index.php?p=download&d=1182&lstpg2=sdb&lstpg=ds&lsts=616

You can use: iGO 8 txt, iGo txt, GARMIN csv, destinator asc, mio asc, navigon asc, route 66 csv and tomtom asc files from there. (I use tomtom.asc)

Stage 1, OS mods:

If you don't already have them download and install, Imgburn and UltraIso (or similar).

Download and install the GTK+ libraries and the go to that dir with windows explorer (C:\\*****\GTK\bin), download, then drag and drop both Navspeak, Navtweak and all the files in the POISoN.zip into the same dir (you must do this).

Then run UtraIso
    File, Open "v32.iso"
    Navigate to "V-2/RR/0101/BMWC01S/app_sw" in the now open image.

Drag and drop navboot into the same dir as Navtweak.(do not close UltraIso).

[​IMG]

Open Navtweak
    File, Open "navboot"
    Select the 1st tab (images)

1: To change icon the select romicons #216 and right click replace, (with camera icon choice)

[​IMG]

2: Save the navboot file (keep a copy of the original safe; remember to make the file read/write).
    3: Run the patch.exe and it will patch the navboot file.

Then drag and drop into the open UltraIso session (back where you found it, "V-2/RR/0101/BMWC01S/app_sw").

Now the sound part;

Drag and drop the lng_rel.tbl from the zip file into this dir /V_2/RR/0101/BMWC01S (overwriting the OEM file).

Drag and drop the whole dir from /V_2/Voices/0506 into your GTK/bin dir (C:\\*****\GTK\bin\0506) and rename it to 0507 (eg; C:\\*****\GTK\bin\0507)

Open Navspeak and the edit phrases #8 and #9 with what you like from the words in that file, I have 322,323,88,250,191 (this is; high beep, low beep, a pause, attention, ahead) then save audio, and overwrite the file (mine was gb_f.csf).

If you want your own sound get it in wav format and then in navspeak, In the 'Words' tab click Add button to create new word then Replace button to import sound from WAV file, then save.

Drag and drop the modified voice file into your new 0507 dir and the drag the dir into the same dir as the original 0506 dir, eg /V_2/Voices/0507 (you now have 2 dirs /V_2/Voices/0506 and /V_2/Voices/0507)

Drag and drop the voice.lst from the zip file into this dir /V_2/Voices/0507 (overwriting the OEM file).

Now If you are updating to 4-1/00 then save the modified OS image to something like v32_sound.iso.

If however you have the latest OS installed then you need either downgrade to an older version or have the version number of the OS.

Do the following: also extract the 2 .tbl files from the directory: \V_2\RR\0101\BMWC01S
    Open it in an HEX editor (like Freeware, PSPad http://www.pspad.com/en/)

In the first line you find: 30 39 31 30 This means: 0800 So: Software-Version 08.00

Just edit the last 30 to 31 and you nav unit will think it's a new Software Version and you can update your v32 without prior downgrade to V29

The next time you update, you can edit it back to 0800 then 0801 again...

Save the modified OS image to something like v31_sound.iso.

Open Imgburn, open the v31_sound.iso file and place a blank CD in your CD/DVD writer, then write at x1 speed only (or the slowest rated speed of the blank disc).

Then follow the update procedure for upgrading the Nav computer.

Stage 2, Map disc mods:

Make and image of your map disc (I used the 2009-1 Euro HIGH disc, the 2007-2008 VDO cd also works)

Make 2 dirs in the C:\\*****\GTK\bin\ dir ; 1 called "C:\\*****\GTK\bin\DB" and the other called "C:\\*****\GTK\bin\DB1"

Open the image with UltraIso and drag the files highlighted into the "C:\\*****\GTK\bin\DB" dir

[​IMG]

Run the poison.exe and press the forward button, select the map db in "C:\\*****\GTK\bin\DB" and then open,

[​IMG]

This should then come up, then forward,
    [​IMG]

On the edit page click 'Import' button and select your camera DB file eg; "tomtom.asc" then save modified database in DB1.

[​IMG]

Drag and drop the now modified database (carindb file for CD or DB folder for DVD) back to CD/DVD map image.

[​IMG]

Save the map image to something like 2009-2-Sound.iso.

When its finished writing your new firmware cd and map cd/dvd
    Goto the car open the drivers door,
    Goto the nav computer and press eject on drive,
    Eject the map disc,
    Switch ign to pos 1, leave door open.
    Insert firmware disc into drive, follow instruction on nav screen.
    Wait (approx 6 mins) till sat nav asks to eject cd and reboot.
    Eject cd,
    Confirm reboot.

That's it.

Do not switch off ignition or close the door when doing the upgrade.

If anyone needs help get in touch.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. 16 Apr 2009 at 6:46 PM #2
    JeffM3

JeffM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    03 e46 M3 S/G. R-imola MANual
    First go to college and get a degree in computer science lol!

Only joking good nav mod and great tutorial! but i will say its not for the noob,
    I've got a road angel with radar so wouldn't really need it and this is only for Mk IV nav systems yeah it won't work on Mk III ??

I'm thinking of adding a laser diffuser to the system aswell which basically diffuses the radar when pointed at your car but they are like £300 so a bit pricey at the mo!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. 16 Apr 2009 at 7:56 PM #3
    ccfj1

Your Motor:
    July 2010, 335i Msport
    Colour Combo:
    It does seem that way, but once you've done it a few times it pretty straight forward.

Any person with reasonable computer skills should be able to have a go, setting the video plus on a video recorder now that's a challenge :)

Indeed, and if you get caught, big fine, I think the one that doubles as the garage opener is the one to have, but you must have a garage as I've heard that the police will follow you home and check, gulp.

4. 16 Apr 2009 at 11:53 PM #4
    suraj

suraj A Chosen One! Staff Member

Your Motor:
    Not an M3 :(
    Nice tutorial CCFJ, stuck.

5. 17 Apr 2009 at 1:23 PM #5
    JeffM3

JeffM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    03 e46 M3 S/G. R-imola MANual
    yeah the one that is a garage opener is the one i was looking at but hadn't heard that they will follow you home!! that's a liitle naughty innit hey!

Just had a quick look into the law and by all accounts its classed as "perverting the course of justice".

Think I'll give it a miss lol..!!!

6. 18 Apr 2009 at 8:32 AM #6
    gix

gix Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    LAGUNA SECA BLUE E46 M3
    ccfj....that disc i have is loaded with all that right ?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  7. 18 Apr 2009 at 4:42 PM #7
    ccfj1

Your Motor:
    July 2010, 335i Msport
    Colour Combo:
    Check your pm mate :)

8. 18 Apr 2009 at 7:00 PM #8
    gix

gix Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    LAGUNA SECA BLUE E46 M3
    replied ta

9. 18 Apr 2009 at 11:33 PM #9
    css

css Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    so this will give a audible beep when approaching speed camera located on road map? when u say some things wont work properly as it is not OEM - which things will this be? :thumbsup:

10. 19 Apr 2009 at 8:24 PM #10
    ccfj1

Your Motor:
    July 2010, 335i Msport
    Colour Combo:
    The camera icons are preloaded onto the map (no selection necessary) and the I've modded the alert to actually beep then give an audio message "speed camera ahead".

Here are the 3 main things;

Like I said in the first post, imagine the car in a large bubble, with you at the centre, this bubble around the car is probed every three seconds and if a camera is found in the bubble then you get the alert, this means that you sometimes get false positive, as the cameras could be on a road that runs along side the road that you are on (because it was found in the bubble), see what I mean?

Currently there is no way to turn the alert off (unless you swap languages or the modded map disc).

The alert only works on the user preloaded DB (stage 2 above), it will not work on selected POIS.

HTH

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  11. 28 Nov 2009 at 7:17 AM #11
    RabG

RabG A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    BMW X5
    sat nav trouble

hi
    Folks need some help. i have recently updates my sat nav but cant get audio warning about speed cameras. also when i turn car of and leave it for a feww minutes the icons disappear and i have to load them all again. Any ideas

12. 28 Nov 2009 at 7:19 AM #12
    RabG

RabG A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    BMW X5
    sat nav trouble

hi
    Folks need some help. i have recently updates my sat nav but cant get audio warning about speed cameras. also when i turn car of and leave it for a few minutes the icons disappear and i have to load them all again. Any ideas

13. 28 Nov 2009 at 8:50 AM #13
    ccfj1

Your Motor:
    July 2010, 335i Msport
    Colour Combo:
    You are loading the cameras from the POI menu, not the Carindb, (autoloading).

You need the modded OS and the modded Map disc.

You can't use PMN to add the cameras, you must use poison.exe.

14. 11 Dec 2009 at 10:06 AM #14
    evo97

evo97 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    335D Sport Touring
    Hi John

Really happy with the mk4 and your modded disc, can you tell me if i can remove or lower the sound of the audio alert

Nathan

15. 11 Dec 2009 at 11:11 AM #15
    ccfj1

Your Motor:
    July 2010, 335i Msport
    Colour Combo:
    To reduce the sound.

Press info, then TP - (or TP + for louder), until you are happy with the level (this also changes the nav volume).

To have no alert, use the alert off function in the set menu (this will have effects on other stuff though, see caveats).

16. 16 Dec 2009 at 8:57 AM #16
    evo97

evo97 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    335D Sport Touring
    Forgot about my post

When i press the info button i get the option to tick TP but dont get a + / - option ????

17. 16 Dec 2009 at 10:36 AM #17
    ccfj1

Your Motor:
    July 2010, 335i Msport
    Colour Combo:
    press info

[​IMG]

Then select the highlighted option, then select up or down.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  18. 3 Jan 2010 at 9:04 AM #18
    AReeve

AReeve Sponsor

Your Motor:
    M2 Competition
    Colour Combo:
    Hockenheim Silver
    WHEN BURNING MAP DISC does it have to be to dvd? or cd?

19. 3 Jan 2010 at 7:09 PM #19
    ccfj1

Your Motor:
    July 2010, 335i Msport
    Colour Combo:
    It will depend on what you are using as the source, if you are modding a dvd map disc then use a dvd to burn to, if the source is a cd then use a cd.

If its for a mk4 then use a dvd if for the mk3 then use a cd

20. 19 Jan 2010 at 8:39 PM #20
    Idol

Idol Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 Convertble
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril Blue/White Extended Nappa
    Hmmm, bit confused here, what do I download from this page? could you provide an exact linky? I'm using windows 32bit btw :thumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)