996 911 Turbo

technics

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Was E46 M3 Vert Now E92 Comp Pack
Hopefully get back into a toy in the new year....

I always like browsing anyway but the 996 911 Turbo has really grown on me! Looks mean! Do love a 997 Turbo too but they have jumped up in price....

I know they say the 996 Mezger engines are meant to be more reliable but anything should be looking for in particular? Coming up a 20 year old Porker does make me poo my pants a little in terms of issues and parts costs etc,

Wont be doing loads of miles (maybe 5k a year) not fussed about fuel and consumables.

But are they solid and reliable etc......?

Whats the main or busy 911 forum and is there a buyers guide anywhere?

Many thanks,

M

alpinaman

Underwear thermally upgraded
Reaction score
What're you driving?
500 bhp+
Turbos rotting off manifolds
Broken and rotted manifolds
Exhausts blowing and rotted
Gearboxes jumping out of gear, crunching..
Worn selector cables
Brake pipes corroded
AC pipes corroded and leaking
Coolant pipes and fixings leaking
Water pump leaking
Steering racks and pipes leak
Spoiler rams leak and faulty
Screens laminating
Corrosion on panel edges
Headlights go opaque
Front stonechips, usually been repainted

Interiors wear well but are now dated .

Good news is, Whatever the condition of the car when it’s time to sell there are always fanboys wanting to get into cheap Turbo ownership.

The trick is trying to not spend a lot whilst you own it

FuManchu

Wearing official underwear
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2016 M4 Comp
These cars are getting to the age where preventative maintenance is key. I've got a 04 GT3 which has lifted over £7k out of my wallet for the last service and a loads of preventative maintenance.

The PCCM+ is a good upgrade which brings modern functionality to the car.

Try 911uk or the Porsche section on Pistonheads for UK stuff.

fstorm

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
did have a 2005 M3 CS manual
Colour Combo
Interlagos Blue/Black
Alpinaman has talked about the negatives, but none of the issues are insurmountable and some of them have relatively affordable fixes.

The positives are:
They still go like stink, especially if lightly fettled
They're not sanitised, you're responsible for keeping all four wheels on the road. The car lets you know what's going on, assuming the suspension and you're driving is up to scratch
The interior is very 1990s, no soft touch bits to wear out - it definitely wears better than the 997.1

Most if not all the negatives apply to the 997.1 TT too, so even if you have the money for a 997.1 TT, you'll get the same problems, plus the turbos are that much more expensive if they need replacing.

It isn't a car that I could jump in and drive quickly, not like my old M3 CS for example. It's a challenge and you need to respect it, as things happen very quickly.

My car benefits from Bilstein PSS10, 997TT brakes all round, GT3 brakes ducts, rebuilt gearbox for 2nd gear pop-out, new steering rack and pipes, GT2 intercoolers, stainless steel Miltek manifolds and exhaust, new waste gates, an uprated 890Nm Sachs clutch and plate and a light tune. Mine has factory aero kit which dispenses with the hydraulic spoiler and improves downforce. And a new headunit as the original one belongs in the Ark!

Mine cost me about £4K in maintenance for the first 2 years, £3.5K upgrades which were not strictly required, but I wanted to. I've had it 3 years.
Normal servicing isn't too bad, brakes aren't expensive, tyres are ok, but there isn't much choice in tyres if you stick with OE 18" wheels.
If you're used to any BMW M car, the maintenance and running costs won't scare you.

I get mid-teens mpg when going for it, 26mpg on a run, about 300-320 miles range.

Manuals are more expensive than the tiptronic automatic.
Coupes are more expensive than the convertibles.
but was the other way round when new, just like a M3 :)

Last edited:

fstorm

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo
Interlagos Blue/Black
Just for clarity - Bilsteins, Miltek and 2nd gear pop-out were done by the previous owner.

Last edited:

ak786

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
skoda
I’ve had mine for approx 4 months
1st ever Porsche for me so far from an expert but glad I’ve ticked the box, as mentioned by others buy a well maintained one & should be a good experience, had to be manual coupe for me in lapis blue black interior.
Mine has a aftermarket decat exhaust
Few subtle interior bits to freshen up so don’t look or feel too dated imo
Must say I don’t like the feel of the thin steering wheel might get it retrimmed slightly thicker, also would love to get more power, But I don’t do track days so don’t see the point as car will never be used to it’s full potential etc stock power is more then enough for rd use.

image to url

Last edited:

MaximumBob

Flexing a golden cincture
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2019 M5
With the used car market on its head...with even Dacias going up in price...is now a good time to be buying into expensive cars?...I don't know..
But who doesn't love 911 turbos...I had 3!

ttdan

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
911 GT3 RS, E92 M3, F21 M135i
Colour Combo
M3 Interlagos Blue/ Black
996 is a classic car now. Dated interiors are what it’s all about. :) It’s a model that’s just a bit whacky on design front, when new and still now I think. I had a 2003 manual about 12 years ago and loved it. Have a 996 GT3 now, love the looks of them and as a track toy it’s like nothing else.

all the above “weak spots” are valid although I don’t think stone chips is a 996 turbo exclusive….

anyway, old cars need stuff doing over time. And this is why there’s a delta on prices, some have been looked after and some less so.

M33SWJ

Reaction score
What're you driving?
2019 X4 and 996 turbo
Colour Combo
Grey on black and Guards red on black
Some good points made..I’ve had mine for 2 years..outrageous power for the money!! I have fitted turbosmart wastegates gt2rs intercoolers with updated clutch to handle the Markski map now running 1.2 bar!! I have spent a few ££ on it but it’s expected on a old car with preventative and performance mods.

fstorm

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo
Interlagos Blue/Black
M33SWJ - your 996TT looks flawless, fresh paint on it?
I've been toying with the idea of having mine done too, but with a colour change. I love lapis blue and forest green (a carbon black or interlagos blue even), but I haven't found a painter that is able to deliver a factory quality (or better) paint job yet.

M33SWJ

Reaction score
What're you driving?
2019 X4 and 996 turbo
Colour Combo
M33SWJ - your 996TT looks flawless, fresh paint on it?
I've been toying with the idea of having mine done too, but with a colour change. I love lapis blue and forest green, but I haven't found a painter that is able to deliver a factory quality (or better) paint job yet.
No it all original paint the car has 56k miles and as you say flawless

fstorm

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo
Interlagos Blue/Black
No it all original paint the car has 56k miles and as you say flawless
I'm even more impressed. Any work done on it, paint correction and ceramic coating?
Mine has 20k miles more than yours. Puts mine to shame.
What's the interior like?

M33SWJ

Reaction score
What're you driving?
2019 X4 and 996 turbo
Colour Combo
I'm even more impressed. Any work done on it, paint correction and ceramic coating?
Mine has 20k miles more than yours. Puts mine to shame.
What's the interior like?
Not to my knowledge, it looks as if it has been detailed at some point..

Users who are viewing this thread