[E46] 2001 GPS/head unit: any way to test if it works, out of the car?

Discussion in 'General maintenance, upgrades and modifications' started by TheBloke, Oct 16, 2020.

1. 16 Oct 2020 at 12:58 PM #1
    TheBloke

TheBloke On the path

What're you driving?:
    2001 M3 Coupe SMG (E46)
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black / red leather
    Hi all

I used to own a 2001 E46 M3, and talked about it a fair bit on this forum back in 2010 or so. Sadly I had to sell it a year later. While I owned it I had the stereo/CD/GPS system upgraded to a Windows-based computer system with 7" touch screen. When that upgrade happened, they took out my stock BMW system, and I've had it in a drawer ever since.

I'm doing a clean out and would now like to try and sell it. But I don't seem to have the cables, only the head unit, DVD drive for the GPS, and a 6-CD changer (without the 6-CD cartridge).

It should hopefully work fine as it definitely all worked when it was in the car, but I don't want to advertise it for sale unless I can test it first.

Is there any way I could do a quick test to confirm it still powers up, without having an M3 or the original cables? I have a DC power supply, so I'm wondering if I could just supply 12V to a couple of the pins and then it might power on?

Trouble is I have no idea what the pin-out is, or if it might be more complicated than that!

The only cables I do have are I think related to a Parrot device I also have, including some cables connected to a small black speaker. I've included a photo of that below just in case it's relevant to the head unit.

If anyone knows a way I could quickly test to see if the devices power up, I'd be most grateful for any advice.

Below are some pictures I just took of the head unit and its DVD drive, including showing the cable connectors:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 19 Nov 2020 at 6:00 PM #2
    TheBloke

TheBloke On the path

What're you driving?:
    2001 M3 Coupe SMG (E46)
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black / red leather
    Bumping this to see if anyone might be able to help at all?

All I want to do is power on my head unit and DVD drive to check they work, but I don't have any of the original cables.

I have a DC power supply so I can supply 12V power via a makeshift connector, but I need to know which pins to supply it to.

Any help would be much appreciated.

3. 20 Nov 2020 at 5:47 PM #3
    ExCop530dT

ExCop530dT Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E39 Ex Police 530d Touring
    Colour Combo:
    Brilliant White & Black Leather
    Hi,

Speak to Carphonics / Baris.

I think there is ways of powering up modules on the test bench and he'll most likely know and be able to, so you may need to send them into him. I vaguely recall trying to power up at home is a bit convoluted as you need the monitor, GPS computer and amplifier unit all connected for any of them to work.

Cheers, Dennis!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)