130i

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1squadron, Nov 9, 2018 at 1:03 AM.

1. 9 Nov 2018 at 1:03 AM #1
    1squadron

1squadron On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3 *Purist Spec* ;)
    Looking at one this Saturday for the wife. 06 car. Just wondering if anyone has owned one and would you like to share any experience or advice. :)

(Obviously I am reading up :))

2. 9 Nov 2018 at 2:37 AM #2
    svvg

svvg Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 SMG
    Yep. My mum has a 57 plate - we also have an e92 330i ( same engine).

The 130 goes like a scalded cat - but the run flats make it really nervous IMO. Get one with integrated nav etc. Ours doesn’t have it - and does let it down a bit.

Nice to drive. And very quick. But I’d swap out the run flats. Also had a series of recalls - issue with wiring into main fuse box causing fires - make sure it was recalled and work done.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 2:49 AM
  3. 9 Nov 2018 at 8:52 AM #3
    1squadron

1squadron On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3 *Purist Spec* ;)
    Ha. Great description.

That's very helpful thanks - hadn't occurred to me to check recalls. It's no longer on runflats. But needs tyres soon so I have at least one bargaining chip!

E2A:
    Oh and it doesn't have integrated nav (earlier car) but I'm not that fussed as my LCI e90 still has crap nav so we're used to using the phone.

Wife is going from a 1/4 million mile Lexus IS200 ('02) so she has no particular nav expectations anyway!

4. 9 Nov 2018 at 10:27 AM #4
    M4rius

M4rius Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Yellow/Kiwi
    57 plates has n53 engines with hpfp and all other expensive crap that fails
    130i 2006 will have n52 that is similar to m54 found in e46's , less power but much more reliable

5. 9 Nov 2018 at 12:28 PM #5
    1squadron

1squadron On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3 *Purist Spec* ;)
    Thanks M4rius, I wasn't aware of that engine fact.

I've read that there were suspension revisions that improved the car in 2007. I've also read that the later car has electronic steering? Can't remember the right term for it... But basically not hydraulic/mechanical.. I really am lacking the right terminology but if anyone knows the answer to my question, they will know what I mean! From all that I've read about cars in general, these shall we say "modern" systems usually mean less feel?

-- So, thoughts on pre/post 2007 handling characteristics?

Also, would anyone have any concerns about 93k miles? Has FSH, current owner for 5yrs/30k miles and he sounds like he follows principles of mechanical sympathy. As I've said, my wife's current car has 250k+ miles on it, so I'm not afraid of mileage, as long as the fundamentals are there.

6. 9 Nov 2018 at 12:39 PM #6
    svvg

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 SMG
    Hadn’t considered/been aware of electric steering on the 07 plate cars - but that could also add to the slightly light/nervous feel now that I do - but I think a lot of that is actually down to the run flats (bridgestone neovos???). Back to back tests probably the best way to see for sure. Ours is a 57k miler from a main dealer and really is in excellent condition.

We did argue for a retrofitted sat nav - so not the integrated screen - but a bmw supplied clip in jobbie. Imo doesn't look great - but if you’re getting form a dealer, cheap for them to chuck into the deal.

Check for oil leaks round the valvetronic motor on the drivers side of the rocker cover too.

7. 9 Nov 2018 at 12:47 PM #7
    1squadron

1squadron On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3 *Purist Spec* ;)
    Thanks sv, good tip on the potential leak. Is a leak there indicative of an issue?

It's a private seller but interesting to know there is a "factory" satnav option, as a potential future upgrade..

Oh and don't quote me on the steering thing - it's 3rd hand info and I was bleary-eyed at the time of reading.

8. 9 Nov 2018 at 1:25 PM #8
    svvg

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 SMG
    No - not indicative of an issue - the seal around the valvtronic motor fails over time - as do all seals - it is covered by the top engine/vanity cover - but shine a torch around that area to check. The seal is about £40. Probably need a cam cover seal kit too as they can also fail. It’s all general maintenance - but can cause a burning oil smell - the rocker/cam cover has deep wells in the moulding which fill with oil over time - and spill out on cornering - then run down over the exhaust manifold - so on the 330 we have, it stank of oil when we cornered! Not expensive to remedy. But need to reset the valvtronic end stop point - so needs someone with inpa/dis (is easy to do but you need the software!). Think my dad got frustrated waiting for me to get around to it - and it cost him £250. Just meant he had to top up the oil a lot until fixed! (Also no mechanical dip stick - it’s electronic!).

9. 9 Nov 2018 at 2:00 PM #9
    Roofer

Roofer Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    F83 M4 Comp Pack
    Probably the car i most regret selling, epic on nonRF’s, i replaced an E39 M5 with mine, and preffered the 130. Was like a go kart round the lanes.

10. 9 Nov 2018 at 8:12 PM #10
    1squadron

1squadron On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3 *Purist Spec* ;)
    sv - thanks again, great tip!

Roofer - there was a silverstone blue E39 for sale on here I think, a month or two ago. I tried to sell the idea to her without success. 130i seems to tick the boxes and I get a fun second car to drive!

I will update post viewing tomorrow, for anyone who's interested. :)

Roofer likes this.
  11. 9 Nov 2018 at 8:27 PM #11
    kevM3

kevM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2008 E92 M3 & 2009 123d coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Sparkling Graphite ,Black leather
    Also change the rear subframe bushes to powerflex solid ones. Had lots of rear axle movement on cornering on my 123d until i changed them, they're also crying out for an LSD

12. 9 Nov 2018 at 8:31 PM #12
    1squadron

1squadron On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3 *Purist Spec* ;)
    Thanks Kev - it's a mine of good information, this thread!

13. 9 Nov 2018 at 8:33 PM #13
    325i

325i Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    M3
    1 series never got the N53 engine. N52 only

14. 9 Nov 2018 at 9:57 PM #14
    svvg

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 SMG
    The 135 has the n53 twin turbo I think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)