Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by AshE46M3, Aug 24, 2018.
Really excelllent thread - fair play to you managing this by yourself !!!
I’ve really enjoyed reading this. Good luck with the rest of it.
for the positive replies lads, makes the hard work worth it. Its currently sat there fully watertight apart from the front window and the door.
The problem is at the moment is the pot is running dry and the wifes keeps having a pop at me about it so near christmas. I am currently in the stages of attempting to win one of the second hand/ex display kitchens from ebay to fit into it as I finish work next wednesday for 3 weeks off over christmas and intend to fit both the electrics and kitchen during this time including painting the walls and resin-ing the floor. The render is also being started next week, but after that things are going to slow down somwehat I would expect!! I need to let funds recover and then I can turn it into a real man cave with some nice finishing touches, and eventually - a ramp!
Watch this space.
Had some fun this weekend.
Easy job first, fitted the window.
Then the fun started, This door I bought some time ago second hand as you will have seen earlier in the thread. Well I finally managed to get it down from the garden and thought about fitting it.
My god it is HEAVY! at a guess I would say 140-150Kg Its a steel roller with a big steel bar running through the centre. Now im not a big lad but im fairly strong for my size, as is my mate in some of the pics, so after some head scratching and checking whether the farmer next door was in and could use his forklift (he wasnt) we decided some inginuity was required so after using every ounce of power we had to get it on to two wheely bins I suggested a ratchet system off the top two purlins would be the best way to go.
we wrapped the roller in two smaller straps and then wrapped the bigger straps round the purlins and round the smaller straps.
Safe as houses
Then started to jack the whole lot up as much as possible by one person lifting one side as much as physically possible whilst the other person frantically undid the strap, took out the slack and re ratcheted the strap back up... To be fair it was working a treat.
I had hercules on the job so it was my best shout at getting it done! He is seriously strong this lad!
Slowly but surely it went up into position...
I know you are all waiting for me to say it fell down and crushed us to death, but it didnt!!! Thank god! it did worry me!!
Few screws in the side and it was safe.
And finally I had a door.
I managed to reprogramme the fobs and set the limiters on the door and it finally works!
Happy days. I need to faff around with some trims round the side and one at the top but for now it works and the renderer is starting today!
Good work with the door. I have one and I’d hate to try and line it all up and set the limiters etc.
Yeah its even worse when its second hand!
Had to cut and re drill most of it.
Its SO heavy too, theres nothing can be done with the door elevated, all has to be done on the ground and then lifted in.
Those limiters are PITA too.
Really enjoy the updates on this..... Such an awesome thread, the best garage build on here, by far!!
Superb work, and respect for tackling it all yourself too
Wow thanks mate, really appreciate that!
nice , your m3 its happy
Nice.. so any cars in it yet??
If you are looking for a decent ramp at a good price, we will have 2 available end of January
Hi mate I wanted to send a PM but ended up starting a conversation haha.
anyway, if you wouldnt mind responding...
Not yet mate no, be patient!
Im finishing work tomorrow then ill be hammering this like nobodys business.
Floor paint, wall paint, first floor storage gallery, soffits and facias/ edge trims, storage fit out, electrics/lights etc...
However...Money running thin, as is my mrs' patience!!!
Then the MNR will be heading in.
Renderers rocked up again today, a full team of them so that will be done come the weekend....
Epic. I was waiting for the photo of the door smashed on the ground!
That was an amazing read! Excellent progress and can't wait to see the finished project.
I take my hat off to you for tackling this by yourself, must be very rewarding looking at the achievements. Tuned in
Thanks mate, this isn't my first building project but im certainly no expert, I make things up as I go!
Anyway, a render update.....
A quick before shot taken on a much better camera than my terrid iPhone!
They started with the feature above the door.
Base coat on the side;
and the front;
And no real middle shots here, so front on shot finished in buttermilk K-Rend;
And a nice side shot of the finished work.
I really like it, its a shame I couldn't finish it in the stone I had but you have to give in certain areas so you can reach the goal as quickly and painlessly as possible!
Hope you like.
Floors and walls being painted next.
Looks fab.. can’t quite get over the size of it