1. 27 Jun 2020 at 12:59 PM #1
    lemansblue

lemansblue Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2012 e92 M3 comp pack.
    Colour Combo:
    A nice one
    possibly looking at a 120d as a daily, the first gen.
    Ive heard all sorts, people saying certain years are more reliable, that the petrol engines, other than the 130, are shyte and made of chocolate.

Anyone run one of theses and any advice. Thanks.

2. 27 Jun 2020 at 7:57 PM #2
    TrojanHP

TrojanHP Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    If you get an early diesel one (M47) they’re much more reliable than the later N47 with the timing chain issues - I had to rebuild a friends 120d when one of the guides failed, luckily no major damage but still a fair amount of effort.

The 4 pot petrols are all pretty dismal where as the 130i is an absolute peach to drive if you don’t mind spending a bit more on fuel.

lemansblue likes this.
  3. 29 Jun 2020 at 5:34 PM #3
    4 Alpha Zulu

4 Alpha Zulu On the path

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 2003
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black/black
    My OH has a 2005 120d, M47 engine had it two years, put on 10k miles in that time, now on 114k.
    Had to replace the ABS pump, common fault aside from that just tyres, brakes rear shocks & rear suspension arms.
    DMF is starting to get noisey and will need replacing soon.

As reported the N47 engine is prone to chain failure hence we went for the older version, up to 2006 or so IIRC

lemansblue likes this.
  4. 29 Jun 2020 at 10:12 PM #4
    123dan

123dan Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 CS
    Colour Combo:
    IB / Black
    I had an E82 123d (hence the username), sold it on 95,000 miles I think and it was a 2008 build. It was the most reliable car I’ve ever owned and the engine ran faultlessly. AFAIK there was a ‘Quality Enhancement’ offered on 08’ and earlier N47 engines where BMW would replace the timing chain. So my advice would be if you are getting a car with the N47 engine and you are worried either a)get a car that’s had the chain replaced by BMW if 08’ or before or b)get a later E82/87 which supposedly is less prone to problems. Ultimately it’s a powerplant that was made in huge numbers and failures were still quite rare. As always buy on condition with good history and the chances are it’ll look after you well.

jph98, kevM3 and lemansblue like this.
  5. 29 Jun 2020 at 10:23 PM #5
    stuartk

stuartk Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    F82 M4
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral Grey/Amaro Brown Full Leather
    I had a 130i for a bit and sold it my mate. Tremendous little car.

Wouldn’t touch a derv or an auto with high miles.

Timing chains are an issue.

lemansblue likes this.
  6. 30 Jun 2020 at 4:14 PM #6
    kevM3

kevM3 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2016 M2 & 2015 220i M sport
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral Grey ,Estoril Blue 220i
    I had a 58 plate 123d coupe, it was a brilliant, brilliant little car, did over 45k in it during the 5 years we owned it .It was on 68k when we purchased it and all it ever needed was tyres ,servicing ,brake pads and an abs sensor! I did carry out regular oil changes mind as I dont trust that longlife rubbish! We did a trip to France plus all sorts of trips going to veiw cars up and down the country etc, I'd of still kept it but she wanted to buy a newer car as the paint ect was getting a bit tatty , in fact I started a thread about it a few weeks ago of cars you regret selling .
    It did have the N47 engine fitted and issue was always at the back of my mind weather the chain would snap but it proved faultless, regular oil changes was the key I think and I did plan to decoke the inlet manifold as they can choke up but we px'ed before I had chance, I'd have another but they're getting old now though tbh , mine was 5 years old when i bought it and it came with the later CIC Idrive which was a welcome bonus!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    lemansblue likes this.
  7. 4 Jul 2020 at 9:03 AM #7
    svvg

svvg Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 SMG
    My dad has an e92 330 with the n52 engine.... and it's pretty quick... - and my mum has the 130, which has the same engine - but is obviously a lighter car - and it goes like a scalded cat! Great little thing - but has run flats which RUIN the ride and make it unpredictable and a bit nervous IMO. It does feel nice and taught - but don’t fit run flats unless you’re a 76 year old woman and paranoid about being stranded with a flat tyre...(!). Decent tyres on it and you’ll be well chuffed. Do search for one with all the toys though. We got a really nice one - Has heated seats (a must for leather IMO) but no Idrive, which is a shame.

A mate of mine had the 135. And that was a weapon. They suffer a bit with turbo issues - can be around £1600 or so for new ones or closer to £500 if it’s something more simple like stuck actuators (if you can DIY then that helps on costs too of course).

lemansblue likes this.
  8. 4 Jul 2020 at 9:11 AM #8
    svvg

svvg Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 SMG
    To clarify the above re the taut but unpredictable point I made - it feels taut (not wallowy) - and sharp when steering - but you don’t get any feedback so can’t really feel what the car’s doing, which is why I think it feels nervous (or rather it makes me nervous!)

lemansblue likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)