The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 3rd July 2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Paulc1986
Wearing official underwear

Car: M3 E46
Colour Combo: Blue
Default BM54 module removal

Getting my module out to send up to Baris to have a look at towards the end of this month.

With that in mind does anybody have a guide on how to remove it with as minimal fuss as possible?

Chopper
Paulc1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
XKaLiBaR
Site Sponsor

Car: E46 M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Red/Red

Remove the blue triangle from the left side in the boot.

Get a flat screwdriver, preferably the oem one in the boot, and flip the plastic bits off, holding the blue triangle, and there is another grey one at the of the carpet.

Remove the back of the rear light, it just clips off. Makes it easier to remove the carpet.

Now, slowly pull the carpet off. Making sure you do not catch it on the clips on the back lights. You not need to remove it completely, just enough to get to what you need to get to.

Once removed, get a 8mm socket or spanner (socket will make life easier) and with a torch, remove the nut holding the tv tuner (big silver box under the navigation drive). You do not need to unplug it.

Once removed, you have access to the bm54 unit. Again, 8mm nut holding it down. Undo the nut, and pull the unit out. You will notice it wont come out that much, so you will need to unclip the big BLACK square plug, and pull it out. Dont break the clip!
Also a radio cable, that requires you to squeeze it to remove it.

Replace the tv tuner back in place, and screw it in.

Thats it, putting everything back in is the reverse. Just make sure you tuck the carpet in nicely. Best to leave carpet loose, until you get unit back.
XKaLiBaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Paulc1986
Wearing official underwear

Car: M3 E46
Colour Combo: Blue

Legend!
Paulc1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 09:46 PM   #4
MrJoshua
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Steel Grey / Black

Just resurrecting this thread as the info is very handy!

A useful tip though... You do really need an 8mm socket to make this job easy.

I tried it with just the 8mm spanner from the BMW toolkit and ended up removing the silver nut off the BM54 rather than the black bolt. I then bent the L shaped bracket back in order to get the unit out. Scraped knuckles, again!
MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Savitar
Achieved official socks

Car: MY04 E46 Silver Red SMG Coupe
Colour Combo: Silver with Red leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
Just resurrecting this thread as the info is very handy!

A useful tip though... You do really need an 8mm socket to make this job easy.

I tried it with just the 8mm spanner from the BMW toolkit and ended up removing the silver nut off the BM54 rather than the black bolt. I then bent the L shaped bracket back in order to get the unit out. Scraped knuckles, again!
That last nut is the killer. A socket would be VERY handy. Otherwise it's just a case of being patient and undoing very slow (1/8th of a turn at a time). Once it gets a little lose it's actually easy to remove the mount and then the unit...

The black plug is a bit stiff also.....
Savitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 10:53 PM   #6
M3LEV
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaLiBaR View Post
Remove the blue triangle from the left side in the boot.

Get a flat screwdriver, preferably the oem one in the boot, and flip the plastic bits off, holding the blue triangle, and there is another grey one at the of the carpet.

Remove the back of the rear light, it just clips off. Makes it easier to remove the carpet.

Now, slowly pull the carpet off. Making sure you do not catch it on the clips on the back lights. You not need to remove it completely, just enough to get to what you need to get to.

Once removed, get a 8mm socket or spanner (socket will make life easier) and with a torch, remove the nut holding the tv tuner (big silver box under the navigation drive). You do not need to unplug it.

Once removed, you have access to the bm54 unit. Again, 8mm nut holding it down. Undo the nut, and pull the unit out. You will notice it wont come out that much, so you will need to unclip the big BLACK square plug, and pull it out. Dont break the clip!
Also a radio cable, that requires you to squeeze it to remove it.

Replace the tv tuner back in place, and screw it in.

Thats it, putting everything back in is the reverse. Just make sure you tuck the carpet in nicely. Best to leave carpet loose, until you get unit back.
Go on baris!
M3LEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 12:01 AM   #7
darkhorse
On the path

Car: 2003 m3 supercharged
Colour Combo: titan silver ... black

Just sent mine to baris for amp upgrade/digi tv after reading all the great reviews .
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 12:33 AM   #8
graemma1
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2002 bmw m3

i have a 2002 car with nav. Is it possible to use the screen as a TV?
graemma1 is offline   Reply With Quote