The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Closed Thread

Old 20th September 2011, 12:45 PM   #21
M3 SHAM
Achieved official socks

Car: Derv Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist3r View Post
Because 250 a corner is alot of money. 'Scrimping', i.e buying a cheaper tyre which will do the job just fine is perfectly ok.

If your driving your car 'at the limit' all the time on public roads then yes go for a premium tyre lol. But you should really save that kind of behavior for the track?
Couldnt agree more mate, too many tyre snobs on here. For some reason some people on here seem to think a budget tyre is unsafe Complete b*llocks, They have to pass a minimum safety test just like any other tyre. If your not tracking your car or street racing, nothing wrong with a budget tyre

When I bought my ///M it had Accelera tyres fitted all round, I was expecting them to be pants but for day to day use they were perfectly fine, wore well and the grip was not bad either. Obviously if you were tracking your car you may want consider a premium tyre but I had no issues what so ever and i did plenty of spirited driving
Sponsored links
Old 20th September 2011, 01:29 PM   #22
Compaqnx
Achieved official socks

Car: Audi
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

Widow makers.
Old 20th September 2011, 01:41 PM   #23
rumoon
Achieved official socks

Car: taxis

If you have to brake/swerve suddenly, especially in dodgy conditions, then decent tyres may make all the difference; don't have to drive like a lune etc., plenty of others on the road to do that for you...
Old 20th September 2011, 01:46 PM   #24
Compaqnx
Achieved official socks

Surely the Kalken's and Kumho's must get a lookin above these?
Old 20th September 2011, 02:13 PM   #25
M3 SHAM
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumoon View Post
If you have to brake/swerve suddenly, especially in dodgy conditions, then decent tyres may make all the difference; don't have to drive like a lune etc., plenty of others on the road to do that for you...
I agree with the point that premium tyres will have increased performance in these conditions, but my point is people are sudgesting that budget tyres are not up to providing a safe ammount of performance or that they are in some way dangerous.

The industry will expect a minimum level of performance to constitue the tyre to be safe, budget or premium all will have to meet this standard.

Having used both premium and budget tyres on my ///M and other cars I have noticed a marginal improvment in grip, road noise and wear on premium tyres. I have however never felt 'unsafe' in budget tyres though I have noticed in some conditions they do not grip quite as well but not to the level that I felt unsafe.
Old 20th September 2011, 02:59 PM   #26
Compaqnx
Achieved official socks

I have used a mixture of budget and premium but I wouldn't touch the bottom end of the market on a fiesta or a M3.
Old 20th September 2011, 03:13 PM   #27
chewi
Achieved official socks

Car: 2006 116i M-Sport FTTB
Colour Combo: Metallic Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaqnx View Post
I have used a mixture of budget and premium but I wouldn't touch the bottom end of the market on a fiesta or a M3.
Exactly, especially on such a powerful car as well, its just asking for trouble...

For the record im personally not a "tyre snob" im far from it, but i certainly wouldnt be looking for the cheapest option available, especially on a car with such power, i just wouldnt feel safe
Old 20th September 2011, 03:33 PM   #28
Boxa
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3 - Carbon Black, Manual Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewi View Post
For the record im personally not a "tyre snob" im far from it, but i certainly wouldnt be looking for the cheapest option available, especially on a car with such power, i just wouldnt feel safe
I think most of us fall into the same category. I'm all for spending less on a tyre providing it delivers 99% of the performance that the leading brand would.

If you're prepared to pay less for a much lesser product then you should ask whether the car is really for you.

Personally I went with Vredstein due to price, but only after reading numerous posts on various forums praising their performance as being as good as the likes of Michilen/Conti. I'm now on my second set and can safely say I'll be buying them again, but would not have even considered them had they been getting bad reveiws.

As said above they are the only thing making contact with the road.
Old 20th September 2011, 03:45 PM   #29
rumoon
Achieved official socks

Car: taxis

Cheapo tyres are sh1t. No contest.
Old 20th September 2011, 03:47 PM   #30
Compaqnx
Achieved official socks

Plus most of us including me have never heard of this brand so that's saying something.

If your prepare to skimp on tyres, what else are you prepared to skimp on?

Not having a pop but it doesn't bode well.
Old 20th September 2011, 04:03 PM   #31
M3 SHAM
Achieved official socks

I think you also have to take in to consideration the car itself if its was a 12 months old e9x on the likes on budget tyres that would make me think twice. But when your talking about a car which is 10years + old in some cases with prices starting from around 6k, would you really be of the mentality what else has been skimpped on or would you think actually all things considered this is just a sign of the value of the vehicle?

Personally when i bought my M3 I was not put of by the Accerlleras that were on the car and when I sold it the purchaser was not bothered either
Old 20th September 2011, 04:08 PM   #32
Compaqnx
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 SHAM View Post
I think you also have to take in to consideration the car itself if its was a 12 months old e9x on the likes on budget tyres that would make me think twice. But when your talking about a car which is 10years + old in some cases with prices starting from around 6k, would you really be of the mentality what else has been skimpped on or would you think actually all things considered this is just a sign of the value of the vehicle?

Personally when i bought my M3 I was not put of by the Accerlleras that were on the car and when I sold it the purchaser was not bothered either
Fair enough, I'm not a brand snob at all but tyres are things you can see.

Would you be happy to buy a car that has been serviced on the cheap? 10-40 mineral oil for example?

These things can be run on the cheap but there has to be a level though.
Old 20th September 2011, 04:11 PM   #33
shimmy
Banned

Car: bmw

Quote:
How is old Mrs Postlethwaite by the way!
Old 20th September 2011, 04:51 PM   #34
M3 SHAM
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
No idea what this means
Old 20th September 2011, 04:54 PM   #35
Compaqnx
Achieved official socks

Quote:
No idea what this means
X2
Old 20th September 2011, 05:14 PM   #36
alpina527
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
Old 20th September 2011, 05:25 PM   #37
M3 SHAM
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaqnx View Post
Fair enough, I'm not a brand snob at all but tyres are things you can see.

Would you be happy to buy a car that has been serviced on the cheap? 10-40 mineral oil for example?

These things can be run on the cheap but there has to be a level though.
Dont believe this is a fair comparison 10 40w mineral oil would quite likely damage the engine of the ///M so if you were aware this had been used this would put you off . If you saw budget tyres on a ///M this would not in any way damge the ///M in the same way the wrong oil could. You may even think that the owner does not see the point of over priced premium tyres and this may also be a sign that the car has been modestly driven and not pushed to its very limits. I know to me this would be reassuring?
Old 20th September 2011, 05:35 PM   #38
alpina527
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E92 m3

Quote:
Dont believe this is a fair comparison 10 40w mineral oil would quite likely damage the engine of the ///M so if you were aware this had been used this would put you off . If you saw budget tyres on a ///M this would not in any way damge the ///M in the same way the wrong oil could. You may even think that the owner does not see the point of over priced premium tyres and this may also be a sign that the car has been modestly driven and not pushed to its very limits. I know to me this would be reassuring?
I think the point he is trying to make is that if an owner is prepared to fit budget tyres to a car such as an M3, what other cost cutting exercises have been done?

Would you rather buy from a no expense spared owner or a budget owner?
Old 20th September 2011, 07:58 PM   #39
bass2rez
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW E46 M3 2005 Carbon Black

I used to put budget tyres on my previous non-performance cars and while dry weather driving was okay, in the wet they felt completely dangerous. Each journey in wet weather on my daily commute along deristricted A roads felt like there was a 50:50 chance of survival. Of course, having only ever driven on budget tyres, I knew no different. I assumed thats how tyres were.

When I took the plunge and decided to start using decent tyres, Goodyear Eagle F1's, the difference was incredible. Wet weather driving in particular was a revelation. Since then, I have never bought budget tyres. I would politely suggest that neither should you. One day your life may depend on it.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 20th September 2011, 10:57 PM   #40
Tyremike
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2002 M3 E46
Colour Combo: Topaz Blue/Black Interior

Hello mate, the Barums are actually made by Continental and are classed as their entry level tyre. They are produced in Europe and will adhere to all safety legislation so you have nothing to worry about in that respect.

I have just come back from a long weekend in Germany with Continently Tyres at their test facility the Contidrome. They were showcasing a new track day tyre so not really that relevant for you but they did have some crazy tuning cars there on Conti and Uniroyal. Uniroyal is also a Conti brand but a step down from Conti and a step up from Barum. The guys on the Uniroyal were really complaining they could not get the maximum out of the car because of the tyres. There was also a test on cornering against Conti and a budget called Triangle. This was only on a 16" but still on doing a constant loop on the Triangle it slipped off the track at 25mph but the Conti was not till 35mph and this was just a bit of slippage and not off the track like the Triangle so thats something to think about.

I know what you mean about money so if the cheaper tyre is the only option just be a bit more careful. There was a good test in Auto Express a couple of weeks ago as well have a look at their site.
Closed Thread