The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > General and Forum stuff > General Discussion

Old 16th August 2011, 12:08 PM   #1
iphone4
Wearing official robes

Car: cup
Default Karting

Always been into racing, but recently decided to focus on karting more. Trying to go every weekend to a track near me. So far done:

Lakeside: 43sec.....fastest of day 42
Buckmore: 53sec.....other people in session did 51sec
Streatham: 34sec.....stewards came out with us and did 32sec

There my fastest laps from my first times at each track. Not to unhappy with the times, i know i can go fastest just getting a feel. Doing sandown park tonight.

Any tips or advice on how to get into karting or driving techniques would be great.

Cheers guys!
iphone4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 16th August 2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Z4M
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 E92 M6

I'm local to buckmore and lakeside, been thinking about buying a kart etc just don't have the time.
Z4M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 11:37 PM   #3
topham
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 CAB

my younger cousin used to race go karts then worked up to formula 3

was good stuff to watch. my i used to race go karts for a laugh at the old RAF bases
topham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 10:18 AM   #4
iphone4
Wearing official robes

Sandown last night was good, but i have to say 2 stroke karts are a different level to normal ones. SO FAST.......first time ive crapped it on a kart, need alot of pratice!
Old 17th August 2011, 11:04 AM   #5
andye30m3
On the path

Car: 1994 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone4 View Post
Sandown last night was good, but i have to say 2 stroke karts are a different level to normal ones. SO FAST.......first time ive crapped it on a kart, need alot of pratice!
were they using a the Rotax's?

I'm quite sure the hire karts only use the junior engine, the senior engine is another step up, great fun but it all starts getting very serious and very expensive far to easily.

I bought a rotax 5 or 6 years ago and used to just run it down at Lydd on their open test days, decided to have a go at racing, turned up with it on the back of an old trailer to be greeted by the sight of a paddock full of lorries and awnings etc, felt rather out of my depth.
andye30m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 12:11 PM   #6
iphone4
Wearing official robes

Yeh they have new DMAX 2 stroke karts......18hp if i remember right. So much faster then normal karts, guy down there said they are the karts people race.
Old 18th August 2011, 11:39 AM   #7
blown u
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3 interlagos blue

dmax is a rotax 125 engine but restricted for the public. i used to race 28hp rotax senior and 28hp 4stroke biland and they were quick!!! new chassis every yr @3000 starts to add up let alone tyres and spares etc...
plus to be competative you need a weather station when you have a rotax to get the best possible jetting and set up for the engine otherwise you will not run to max performance!
difference of one jet will mean keeping up with the others or pulling past them on the straight!!!!!
blown u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 03:13 PM   #8
iphone4
Wearing official robes

wow they must be fast......any advice on karting would be great, im not looking to do it properly but more enter one day races at club100 or dmax events...........any advice would be great!
Old 18th August 2011, 05:14 PM   #9
blobslosak
On the path

Car: 2004 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Mystic Blue / Grey

www.karting.co.uk is the best place for info. I've been racing Rotax for the last 5 years. It's not just the engine that makes them faster than a Dmax, the tyres are stickier and the chassis far more light and flexible. And for comparison at Buckmore, check out the lap records... http://www.buckmore.co.uk/content.php/44020

You will find the sport eats your money and to be competitive you find yourself throwing money at it to find the next few tenths. A quick example is engines, different barrels give different performance, some circuits need top end, more better with mid range. Plenty of people even at club level have 2 or 3 engines. A decent rotax motor will have 30+ hp once fiched and correct barrel fitted.

If you live down south (I don't unfortunately) then club 100 is my recommendation if you're starting out. Very competitive, good karts, a good place to learn and relatively cheap. If you like it and get half decent, then have a look at getting into it properly. With setup, technique, etc, there's alot to learn, but then if it were easy it wouldn't be fun would it?

All the best.

Last edited by blobslosak; 18th August 2011 at 05:16 PM.
blobslosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 09:39 AM   #10
iphone4
Wearing official robes

Thanks for the advice mate. I love racing and always wanted to do it. I going to keep going to practive events building up experience etc and start doing events.

Those buckmore times are mad, shows how much quicker proper karts are!