The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Forum Sponsors and Advertisers > Carphonics

Old 7th October 2017, 05:47 AM   #61
delpiero3
A mere Chipper

Car: BMW 320d E46

By the way, i found this datasheet in which we found a pinout for a XC5402 device, not sure if it is talking about the same MCU as we do have in our ULF : http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf/...O&query=XC5402
Is that of any help ? I am not an expert when it comes to MCU, IC and so on programming.
delpiero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 07:53 PM   #62
suwalski
A mere Chipper

Car: 2002 BMW 330i mtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpiero3 View Post
If you have a look on that thread : http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=490983
Post number 8, Terraphantm is explaining exactly what you said about the BGA device which should be flashed from the MCU.
That's the thread I started with, and why I bought a USBDM programmer. That said, I have yet to see anyone have any success with it. Someone, please prove me wrong!

The problem seems to be that the Moto/Freescale chip is something custom and undocumented. I can't get communication working with it.

Quote:
I already did that flash in the same car on the light module control with my USBDM device : https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1061768
Post 51, the guy explain how to do it with the USBDM device, and you have to set for that MCU 5V. Since it isn't the same as the one we found in the ULF module, i am not sure if it is safe or not to proceed with these.
Yeah, it's a different, and documented, chip. I decided to check the voltage on the USBDM header while the unit is running, and the Vdd pin measures a nice 3.3V, so I think changing the programmer to 5V is probably not a good idea.

Quote:
I found another post where guys seems to be able to flash the MULF module (which is the next generation of ULF from E8x E9x and so on), same MCU as in our ULF module, the Motorola, but no procedure again : http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...MW-MULF-repair
Yeah, I've seen that. The English isn't great in that thread, and I see comments that really the flash needs to be removed and flashed externally.

It mentions the Beeprog, which means they removed the chip and read it externally. I'd love to give this approach a try, but I need Gen 9+ firmware to make it worth my while. Seriously, no one has a copy of this?

Quote:
If you are able to extract your GEN5 software, i can try to flash it to my GEN3, and we will see if it works
I'd love to, but I can't see how to obtain it. I partially gave up and bought a Gen9 I found online, since I believe it would work with current Android, but it arrived dead. It powers up with a bad Bluetooth Address, defaults to PIN1234, and doesn't remember its pairing. This leads me to believe the flash appears to be the problem. Or maybe it's the Moto chip. But, if I had a flash dump, I'd gladly invest in hardware to flash a new chip and apply it to this board.

Quote:
By the way, i found this datasheet in which we found a pinout for a XC5402 device, not sure if it is talking about the same MCU as we do have in our ULF : http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf/...O&query=XC5402
Is that of any help ? I am not an expert when it comes to MCU, IC and so on programming.
Completely unrelated.
suwalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 07:45 PM   #63
delpiero3
A mere Chipper

Car: BMW 320d E46

Dear suwalski,

got the message, i also beleive that USBDM isn't the programmer we need to update the ULF.
as they said in the other thread, Beeprog or Chipprog-48 should make the deal, but i am not sure if we need to desolder the Intel flash chip to get it programmed, i still have the feeling that it needs to be done through the MCU. I think they were speaking about desoldering the chip more because it was damaged and need to be replaced.
The issue of the 2 mentionned programmer is that they are bloody expensive ... For that price, i prefer to buy a Gen13 ULF directly, i don't see the point...
The thing also is that i discovered that the ECU are also made out of some Motorola MCU and there are plenty of programmer that can do the thing through the BDM port, such as the Galetto, Kess K-Tag, ... but i don't know if these programmers rely on the MCU to flash without taking care of the content or so ...
And still, we are missing the BDM pinout
So sad that noone who seems to succeed flashing the MULF wants to share a bit of information ...

By the way also, why do you think the datasheet i mentionned is unrelated ? These chip could also be made under license by another manufacturer, don't you think ?

Edit :

Ok, this time we are sure USBDM is game over, look what i found on a forum where they do ECU programming, ECU are based on similar Motorola CPU than our ULF :

I'm interesting in read and write my ecu, buy I dont have idea if with this interface works fine..

http://www.ebay.es/itm/USBDM-Emulator-U ... SwgQ9VlPKE

What is your opinion? Is it work with BDMTool?

This adaptor only have 6 pins and the Trionic 7 BDM conector have 10 pins ? The potocol only need 6 pins, but I don't know the Trionic 7 BDM pinout.

Cheers

This is somewhat moot information at this point in the discussion, but maybe useful for others who read this topic at a later date:

The 6-pin BDM adapter is not compatible with Motorola/Freescale/NXP's CPUs in our ECUs.

A longer answer is that Freescale coined BDM as an umbrella acronym for a number of different interfaces that use different connections and messages to achieve their 'debug' facilities. The 6-wire type is for a group of Freescale's CPUs that includes CPU08, CPU12 and CPU16 families of CPU. However, it is not compatible with the 8 / 10 connection cable and messages used by CPU32 family CPUs in our Trionic ECUs.

On another note, first we have some really good suggestions from chriva :

chriva wrote:
usb bdm and combiadapter are both made by JohnC. No other interface will work even if it is a "usb to bdm interface". Different protocolls

I would buy his combi adapter. It has BDM, CAN-bus, several analogue inputs, egt measurement capabillities and a few extras.
If not that, Sophie Dexter (Just4pleisure) has a neat opensource thingy called Just4Trionic that does the same thing except the analogue inputs and egt readings:
https://developer.mbed.org/users/Just4p ... t4trionic/

and then a really bad one :lol: :

chriva wrote:
I can't really recommend the lpt interface. It's hard to get up and running and it takes forever and ever to flash/read a ECU.

LPT interface flashing isn't so slow, I recall less than 2/4/8 minutes for T5.5/7/8 respectively :P. OK, my 'use-case' is slightly different in this respect and yes, you need an older PC or at least a PCI card with a 'real' lpt interface which you can configure to use the addresses that DOS programs require. I also concede that learning the arcane ways of BDM and mastering BD32 resident driver scripting was a journey of epic proportions accompanied by much wailing and gnashing of teeth etcetera . But, my LPTBDM adapter has always got me out of trouble when all else failed, at least, apart from the time I destroyed my T5 FLASH chips by erasing them 262,144 times , but even that cloud had a silver lining in the end . Those issues aside, LPTBDM FLASHing is fun. :shock: :roll: :lol:

Hope this helps,
Sophie x

Last edited by delpiero3; 21st October 2017 at 05:50 AM.
delpiero3 is offline   Reply With Quote