The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 13th February 2018, 04:44 AM   #1
STAATS
On the path

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Titanium Silver
Default Radium Engineering Oil Catch Can Install for a RHD

Hey guys... This is a bit of a follow on from a conversation that happened a few years ago on the tail end of a review for one of these kits (albeit in a LHD car): http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showth...ghlight=radium

I am going to expand and focus on trying to achieve this install on a RHD so I thought it deserved it's own post...

Now I have thought about this for a while and tried to rack my brain on how to do it. I had already ordered the kit with the intention to just figure it out when I get it... now when I ordered it I specified that it was for a RHD... this normally means that they will send you a Universal install bracket instead of the LHD bracket... now somewhat by accident/chance/fate they sent me the LHD bracket... without even thinking I hit back with an email asking for my universal bracket... which, I just want to highlight to their credit, they sent without a peep, no request for the LHD bracket to be returned, no fuss, so kudos guys, great customer service, I truly appreciated that and thought it deserved a plug...

Moving on... I looked for placed everywhere to put the universal bracket and couldn't find any that I liked... I fancied having this in the bonnet bin with the ECU box is... unfortunately having had my car in pieces for a while I couldn't remember what else went in their... anyway by chance I met up with another guy with an E46 M3 the other day and interrogated the area... where I noticed two mounting points that don't seem to be used on the RHD car (I had my suspicions but couldn't confirm until I saw his)... looking at their orientation and the LHD bracket I envisaged a bit of a solution...

It will require me to make a small adapter bracket myself and for cosmetics and packaging I am going to ask Radium about getting about 90deg fitting but I have mocked up my rough idea and taken a few snaps and loaded them into this album for discussion: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjyMUglnfwqmZLif1

You can see in the photos that I have it mounter to one existing, but unused mounting bolt and not far from the other mounting point on the LHD bracket is a unused threaded boss... so you can see the idea if for me to bridge this gap with an adapter bracket...

Now for the inlet/outlet hoses I had to swap around the fittings and the pictures don't really do justice to how much space there is for this and I believe this setup would work without kinks... although it would me nicer to also have a 90deg fitting on top of the can and the one of the side may need to be kicked on an upward angle instead of the roughly level orientation it has in the photo... I haven't fully considered how I would route these yet but I believe the inlet could go out the back of an existing hole in this bin area behind the engine and then up into the rocker cover... the outlet will need to punch through the plastic wall somewhere and straight into the airbox... alternatively they could have a common hole to punch through into the engine bay area... to be determined / discussed...

As for draining you can see I have taken a few weird photos just focusing on a hole that isn't far from the threaded mounting boss... now this hole goes through into the wheel well area... so I am going to investigate increasing the size of this hole and installing a grommet then running a petcock drain kit from the bottom of the can through this penetration into the wheel well... I just haven't decided where I will terminate the drain and how I will manage the tap... to be determined / discussed.

Now for this whole setup to work and be viable as an attractive option I will really need to get the petcock drain setup to work as there is no real access to take the bottom off like when you have this installed in the opposite bin in a LHD car... so the draining setup is essential rather than optional... I am confident that I can get a neat inlet/outlet hose routing (with or without an additional 90deg fitting although I believe it will be visually nicer with it) and the can sits a little lower so even if any oil does get passed the can it has a chance to coalesce and drain back down the outlet hose before making it into the airbox...

My aim is to try package this in a way that modifies Radium's base kit as little as possible and is easy to DIY when everything is in place (as most will do this to a running car and not have the luxury of space that I currently do)... I am going to contact Radium and try involve them in this process a bit to see if they can then potentially look at offering a slightly modified bracket and instructions to allow for a "factory" backed RHD install...

3... 2... 1... Discuss...
STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 13th February 2018, 11:09 AM   #2
klan8456
Wearing official robes

Could it go in the secondary air pump location for cars that have that removed?
klan8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 11:36 AM   #3
m3rosco
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 bmw m3
Colour Combo: phoenix yellow / black

Paul46 recently installed a radium catch can, just by the positive jump start terminal on the offside strut tower. Looked a neat location to me and you can get underneath it to drain it. (I presume they drain from the bottom somehow).
m3rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 11:38 AM   #4
m3rosco
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 bmw m3
Colour Combo: phoenix yellow / black

Quote:
Originally Posted by klan8456 View Post
Could it go in the secondary air pump location for cars that have that removed?
This is another option. I think the can looks good there but donít like how it looks with the pipes running all over the top of the engine, but thatís a personal thing.
m3rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 12:40 AM   #5
STAATS
On the path

Colour Combo: Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rosco View Post
This is another option. I think the can looks good there but don’t like how it looks with the pipes running all over the top of the engine, but that’s a personal thing.
Yer it definitely can go where the SAP is once it's removed but like you said the hoses will look more unsightly routing from that location...

Also I was looking to use the SAP location to mount a reduced size windscreen washing tank so I can delete that huge 5L one yet maintain the functionality (I also want to delete the headlight washers but I am not really sure where to find the painted headlight trims without the headlight washer hole for a good price to do the delete)...

Do you have any photos or a link to a post of what Paul46 has done for his install?

Last edited by STAATS; 14th February 2018 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Used wrong username for Paul...
STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 09:47 AM   #6
7DT
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAATS View Post
(I also want to delete the headlight washers but I am not really sure where to find the painted headlight trims without the headlight washer hole for a good price to do the delete)...
Should just be able to grab some from a non xenon standard pre facelift e46 no? Only reason the washers are there is because of the xenons and legislation requiring them. If wrong colour, then just respray as they aren't that big.
7DT is offline   Reply With Quote