The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 13th March 2014, 10:27 AM   #41
m thriller
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3 coupe melbourne red
Colour Combo: ARTIC SILVER/BLACK INTERIOR

Ians skills are second to none!

There are couple guys making and selling just the wheels as replacement option to buying a new unit from bmw at around 700 each but think Ians kit is top of the ladder due to materials and construction.
Wheels and shaft and can be changed quite easliy which seems a much better option than buying new or 2nd hand actuators and as the cars age most will not be spending 1500 at bmw but going for this option instead.

i'm sure Ian would help out with wheels etc if needed.

Last edited by m thriller; 14th March 2014 at 08:47 AM.
m thriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 13th March 2014, 12:58 PM   #42
M3GGG
A mere Chipper

Car: bmw m3 e90
Colour Combo: Black/grey

An awesome job Ian. A true genius at work. My actuator went at just short of 22k miles.
M3GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 02:02 PM   #43
MerseaM
Wearing official robes

Car: 2011 E92 M3 Comp Pack
Colour Combo: Space Grey/Black

Great job.

Stupid question time! Why don't BMW just taken them apart and change the cogs when they go? Is that not cheaper than replacing the units??
MerseaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 02:11 PM   #44
chris2712
Achieved official socks

Car: A shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerseaM View Post
Great job.

Stupid question time! Why don't BMW just taken them apart and change the cogs when they go? Is that not cheaper than replacing the units??
Not the way garages work anymore, it would be cheaper to the consumer. Mate of mine went from an old school garage to an audi main dealers and hated it. Indys I'd imagine would happily do this
chris2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 03:14 PM   #45
tates
Achieved official socks

Car: 2009 M3
Colour Combo: space grey/black

Talking to Ian i think eventually he might offer a exchange unit where you unscrew the electrical control board then send him the body he replaces the cogs. which is not as easy as it looks as there are end float tolerances in the shaft which have to be met.he then sends you your refurbished unit back as long as there's not a fault with the motor itself. this is what ill be doing if and when mine go. Im sure he will be along at some point to tell you about what service he will be offering
tates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 10:44 AM   #46
yeltum
A mere Chipper

Car: 2008 BMW M5
Default worns gears

Hi

the gears gave worn in my actuator, are these still avaialble, ive seen some for sale on ebay too, anyone know if they are any good? thx in adv
yeltum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 11:54 AM   #47
alpina527
Achieved official socks

Car: Dct M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: SO / Black inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeltum View Post
Hi

the gears gave worn in my actuator, are these still avaialble, ive seen some for sale on ebay too, anyone know if they are any good? thx in adv
Yes I've got some. Drop me a pm
alpina527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 11:55 AM   #48
Isher
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3
Colour Combo: Space Grey / Black

I had my throttle actuators upgraded by Ian a while back. The old gears were indeed worn and looked similar to the pics posted earlier in this thread.

There were no errors on my dash yet, but I did more as a preventative measure because after you start getting errors in the dash, the teeth become so worn that excess heat is generated inside the actuator housing which can in turn fry the electrical board.

I've done approximately 1000 miles now since having the upgraded actuators installed by Ian, and the car has been running perfectly so far, never missed a beat

Ian's work both in engineering the upgraded gears and installing them to the car have been second to none and I highly recommend him to anybody having throttle actuator trouble (or indeed anybody wanting to take preventative measures)
Isher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 09:43 PM   #49
Arkenphel
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3
Colour Combo: Interlagos Blue/ Palladium silver (grey, really...)

Ive done 5k with these new bits, including a trip to the Ring. Everything worked faultlessly!!
Arkenphel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 07:37 AM   #50
whiteboy
Wearing official underwear

Car: BMW M135i
Colour Combo: Estoril/ black leather

How much is it to upgrade the unit?

Steve
whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 03:52 PM   #51
yeltum
A mere Chipper

Car: 2008 BMW M5

Looks like there are a couple of people offering these gears, i did end up getting the ebay ones and fitted this morning, seemed like good quality, dropped in with no issues, meshing nicely with the pinion, refitted into car and the faults gone Car drives sweet again. In fact not sure if its me or the car, but seems to drive better than before, much smoother firmer acceleration. I did only have to do the one actuator though so if i need to do the other side, ill prob get Ians gears so i can compare.
yeltum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 05:58 PM   #52
alpina527
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeltum View Post
Looks like there are a couple of people offering these gears, i did end up getting the ebay ones and fitted this morning, seemed like good quality, dropped in with no issues, meshing nicely with the pinion, refitted into car and the faults gone Car drives sweet again. In fact not sure if its me or the car, but seems to drive better than before, much smoother firmer acceleration. I did only have to do the one actuator though so if i need to do the other side, ill prob get Ians gears so i can compare.
Did you have to use your old shaft?
Old 14th May 2014, 08:50 PM   #53
Snowman
Wearing official robes

Car: E92 Silverstone M3

Was just scanning this thread and admiring the top work by Ian and guess what????

Jumped into the car and on came the check lights!!!!! Second time since i bought the car in September last year. Ime assuming its the other actuator on the blink. Will find out when i take in over to the stealers
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 10:20 PM   #54
patc
A mere Chipper

Car: 2007 M3
Colour Combo: Melbourne Red/Black Roof
Default DSC failure message

I have been looking at this thread over the last few weeks. The DSC failure message appeared about a month ago. Dealers found faults stored for the throttle actuator. They cleared the faults and the I have had no messages until tonight. Is this the normal pattern for throttle actuator problems. Car is 2007 with 72K on clock. Any info would be appreciated.
patc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 10:25 PM   #55
alpina527
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by patc View Post
I have been looking at this thread over the last few weeks. The DSC failure message appeared about a month ago. Dealers found faults stored for the throttle actuator. They cleared the faults and the I have had no messages until tonight. Is this the normal pattern for throttle actuator problems. Car is 2007 with 72K on clock. Any info would be appreciated.
That does sound like the gears failing tbh
Old 26th May 2014, 10:26 PM   #56
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E93 M3
Colour Combo: SilverstoneII/extended fox red, all the whistles and bells including GTS software

Quote:
With mine (2008) I had the tyre pressure warning come up first then this was followed by the DSC failure. These were then followed by the car going into limp home. As time went on, about two months or so, they were appearing more and more until eventually it was almost all the time. If yours is the same I would suggest you start looking at getting the actuators replaced.

Flapps
Flapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 10:34 PM   #57
patc
A mere Chipper

Car: 2007 M3
Colour Combo: Melbourne Red/Black Roof

Many thanks for the replies. It looks like a replacement actuator is needed.
I assume Warranty direct will cover the cost.
patc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 11:07 PM   #58
alpina527
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Many thanks for the replies. It looks like a replacement actuator is needed.
I assume Warranty direct will cover the cost.
Yes I think warranty direct cover them under warranty.
Old 26th May 2014, 11:08 PM   #59
stevens
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW M3 E92

so whats the retail on this from you then Ian?
stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 02:31 AM   #60
elinachris
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2010 M3 Alpine

Mine has 20 on the clock, and just gave me the tyre inflation error for the first time last week for no reason. You have me worried now. It sounds like the start of a failure in the future. If you want to sell a pair, let me know the price. Thanks.
elinachris is offline   Reply With Quote