The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 16th October 2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Scutch
Achieved official socks

Car: 2012 Japan Red E92 M3 | 2008 UR Megane R26
Colour Combo: Japan Red/Black
Default DCT Auto or Paddles?

I've owned the car a couple of months now, and was just curious to those with DCT if you use the auto box or the paddles more often? I think I've used the latter on a spirited drive only a couple of times, in S4. The rest of the time I've used the car it's been in Auto 2. Seems to do the job well enough, and fuel consumption is better. I do admit, however, that S mode on the paddles makes the car come alive, and the noise it makes on full chat is incredible.

Just guess it's me being quite lazy to use Auto mode, especially considering I was always in S4/5 mode on the E46M.
Scutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 16th October 2017, 12:04 PM   #2
spudder
A mere Chipper

Car: E93 M3 DCT

pretty much same here.
spudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 12:38 PM   #3
Keith
Achieved official socks

Car: S65B40
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Edition

If I want fun and to feel in control of the drivetrain I hit the M button an use the paddles in S5, as if I was driving a manual. The auto modes are good, but nowhere near as good as me demanding what cogs I want.

I use auto 2 on the commute and in busy traffic. In faster motorway traffic on longer journeys I usually knock it up to S4, but that would still be in fairly boring driving conditions, just in case I need a quick drop down for an overtake. S2 is too slow in that respect (without a huge kickdown). Any kind of open road or interesting journey it's back to paddles. I just love using them and the shift speed/kick in the a55 S5 gives is glorious.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Telsy
Achieved official socks

Car: 2012 E92 M3 DCT Comp pack
Colour Combo: Silverstone / Black

I have had my DCT for 5 years now and used to use it 80% of the time on the paddles, but have more recently been using the auto setting for nearer 80% of the time. I guess I am doing more mileage now, with some more mundane and Traffic restricted routes where the auto feature really comes into its own.
Telsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Telsy
Achieved official socks

Car: 2012 E92 M3 DCT Comp pack
Colour Combo: Silverstone / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
If I want fun and to feel in control of the drivetrain I hit the M button an use the paddles in S5, as if I was driving a manual. The auto modes are good, but nowhere near as good as me demanding what cogs I want.

I use auto 2 on the commute and in busy traffic. In faster motorway traffic on longer journeys I usually knock it up to S4, but that would still be in fairly boring driving conditions, just in case I need a quick drop down for an overtake. S2 is too slow in that respect (without a huge kickdown). Any kind of open road or interesting journey it's back to paddles. I just love using them and the shift speed/kick in the a55 S5 gives is glorious.
^^^^^^^ nail on the head.
Telsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 12:58 PM   #6
djgandy
Achieved official socks

Car: Atlantis Blue E93 M3

Quote:

Pretty much the same.

M button is configured for fun.
D2 if just plodding around town
D4 for a bit more reaction from the gearbox

Sometimes use D5 but find it holds gears for ages and might as well be in M.

I often use the gearknob for shifting too especially in turns as the paddles move with the wheel
djgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 01:01 PM   #7
Keith
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telsy View Post
^^^^^^^ nail on the head.
I actually find D2 too slow for much else than very boring driving. I know it needs to be like that for smoothness and fuel economy, but seeing as that is the default setting for the car, it's just way too sluggish. D4 is more intuitive and still economical if you use less aggressive throttle inputs for the slow stuff.

My problem with D2 as the default mode is you have to perform a really exaggerated kickdown on the throttle to get it to drop down enough gears for fast acceleration, and even then, there is a bit of a time delay due to being such a low mode. If I anticipate needing to shoot up in speed, I find it quicker and easier to just hit the M button with your right thumb and click down a couple gears with you left hand, and gently squeeze the throttle (rather than needing to mash it) for a punchy bit of acceleration. If you were to stay in D2, to achieve the same sort of thing you have to mash your foot, still get a delay, then the thing takes off and doesn't change up until 7k+... When really, all you really wanted was a lower gear and bit more throttle. That's also why I usually knock up to D4 unless very slow traffic - it's just far more responsive.

Last edited by Keith; 16th October 2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 16th October 2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Keith
Achieved official socks

^^^Agree with all that Andy. It becomes second nature to move you left hand onto the knob when using manual mode and negotiating corners.
Old 16th October 2017, 01:20 PM   #9
doug16v
Achieved official socks

Car: 2010 M3 Comp Pack

I have mine in lazy 90% of the time and on full attack when the m button is pressed
doug16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 01:33 PM   #10
lemansblue
Achieved official socks

Car: 2012 e92 M3 comp pack.
Colour Combo: A nice one

in d4 or d3 60 percent of time, and s3 or s4 rest of time. Rarely use s5 tbh. I find d2 default annoying as it get up to top gear to quick, and that it must labour the engine a bit?
lemansblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 01:36 PM   #11
Keith
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansblue View Post
in d4 or d3 60 percent of time, and s3 or s4 rest of time. Rarely use s5 tbh. I find d2 default annoying as it get up to top gear to quick, and that it must labour the engine a bit?
Sorry in my posts above I've been saying S2 and S4 when I mean D2/D4!
Old 16th October 2017, 05:05 PM   #12
SUBA
A mere Chipper

Car: E92 M3 DCT
Colour Combo: Space grey - Black leather

Paddles 99.9% of the time.... S5 in the dry and S2/3 on wet days. Had a few scary full bore S5 up shifts in the wet, well out of shape. Hence the S2/3
SUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 06:25 PM   #13
boba fett
Achieved official socks

Car: N/A

M mode S5.

Unless on the M25
boba fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 08:21 PM   #14
jonboy1984
Achieved official socks

Car: 2011 dct e90
Colour Combo: Space grey / black leather

Auto mode when just fannying about, I use the paddles when I'm on a road worthy of the added excitement. if I'm in manual and taking off from a junction that has an immediate turn, I would use the stick but that's the only time, 99 per.cent of the time it's paddles when in manual... The auto blip on the downshifts is incredible and makes the car.
jonboy1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 09:04 PM   #15
AlexZX
Wearing official underwear

Car: -

What are the 'D' numbers people are referring to?
AlexZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 09:14 PM   #16
Keith
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZX View Post
What are the 'D' numbers people are referring to?
The modes of the DCT, you know, the sliding scale adjustable on the button below the gear shifter on the centre console. Changes the ferocity of the shift and in auto (D) it will adjust how quickly the gears change down on throttle input / acceleration, and how long it holds the gear.

In manual modes, it's S1-S5 (except when you complete disengage traction control which then allows you access to S6). In manual mode it purely affects the speed and ferocity of the shift up/down that you ask for.
Old 16th October 2017, 11:41 PM   #17
V8Marshal
Wearing official robes

Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT COMP
Colour Combo: Mineral White / Black Novillo

Quote:
I actually find D2 too slow for much else than very boring driving. I know it needs to be like that for smoothness and fuel economy, but seeing as that is the default setting for the car, it's just way too sluggish. D4 is more intuitive and still economical if you use less aggressive throttle inputs for the slow stuff.

My problem with D2 as the default mode is you have to perform a really exaggerated kickdown on the throttle to get it to drop down enough gears for fast acceleration, and even then, there is a bit of a time delay due to being such a low mode. If I anticipate needing to shoot up in speed, I find it quicker and easier to just hit the M button with your right thumb and click down a couple gears with you left hand, and gently squeeze the throttle (rather than needing to mash it) for a punchy bit of acceleration. If you were to stay in D2, to achieve the same sort of thing you have to mash your foot, still get a delay, then the thing takes off and doesn't change up until 7k+... When really, all you really wanted was a lower gear and bit more throttle. That's also why I usually knock up to D4 unless very slow traffic - it's just far more responsive.
Pretty much the same, can’t add much more to this.
V8Marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 05:30 PM   #18
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E93 M3
Colour Combo: SilverstoneII/extended fox red, all the whistles and bells including GTS software

I stay in D2 deliberately when I first start up until the oil is properly warmed up. Once I get there I flit between paddles or D depending on traffic conditions. Once on A roads, dual carriageway’s and motorways then she’s placed into orgasmatron mode to best from the car. Needless to say at the end of my journey I’m mildly moist which I’ve put down to either the car, my age or both

Flapps
Flapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 05:56 PM   #19
Rick86
Wearing official underwear

Car: BMW M3 E92

For day to day driving and around town it stays in auto with the gearbox setting in 2. Open road, I instantly press the M button which means gearbox is in 5 the highest setting, everything set to sport mode including traction.
Rick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 08:39 PM   #20
Desmo
On the path

Car: 2012 E92 M3 LE500 DCT
Colour Combo: Mineral White & Fox

Quote:

Keith is right. It seems stupid to have to depress the throttle to have the car change down and then it just takes off. Especially if you are going up a hill. It just starts screaming at you. I long for the day when they get it totally right in auto or make it fully programmable. I spent 9 months driving around in D4 which I'm now bored with so now use Manual mode much more. I use the gear stick which feels good and makes me feel like I'm driving a touring car. I find the click the wheel shifters make a bit annoying and cheap. That hill climb is so much better having the car in the right gear.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote