The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 28th September 2017, 07:51 PM   #1
bandit
A mere Chipper

Car: 2011 M3
Default Interior Detail / Leather care - Hertfordshire

Evening all

I'd like to give my e90 some TLC and was wondering if anyone knew anyone that could do a good interior 'valet plus' and really give some TLC to the leather. There aren't any repairs needed, but hopefully a bit of investment in it might make it look even better and last longer too.

Has anyone got any experience of this or reccommendations please?

Preferable to get someone to do it for me, but absent that, what are good products / techniques to use?

Cheer
Bandit
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 29th September 2017, 12:58 AM   #2
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E93 M3
Colour Combo: SilverstoneII/extended fox red, all the whistles and bells including GTS software

Why not try a good leather cleaner such as Gliptone and brush it in, wipe it off with a warm damp cloth, then apply a good quality leather balm, which gliptone also do. Leave to soak and buff off, again with a good quality cloth microfibre cloth. Also try Autoglym leather cleaner as an alternative. Both far cheaper than a valeter and more satisfying.

Flapps
Flapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 12:27 AM   #3
bobby1972
Wearing official robes

Car: bmw e92 LE 500

Prestige detail in Luton
bobby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 01:48 AM   #4
bandit
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapps View Post
Why not try a good leather cleaner such as Gliptone and brush it in, wipe it off with a warm damp cloth, then apply a good quality leather balm, which gliptone also do. Leave to soak and buff off, again with a good quality cloth microfibre cloth. Also try Autoglym leather cleaner as an alternative. Both far cheaper than a valeter and more satisfying.

Flapps
Thanks Flapps, will give this a try in a sample area and see how I go... like the idea of trying to do it myself.

Do you know if this kind of thing can take away some of the 'shine' from the steering wheel?
Old 16th October 2017, 06:03 PM   #5
Homz
On the path

Car: E92 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo: Interlagos Blue / Black

Never used Gliptone but only heard good things. I use Dr.Leather wipes. Gets rid of shine on the seats and makes them look like factory. Not tried on the steering wheel as mine is alcantara but should do the job on a leather wheel.
Homz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Colour Combo: SilverstoneII/extended fox red, all the whistles and bells including GTS software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit View Post
Thanks Flapps, will give this a try in a sample area and see how I go... like the idea of trying to do it myself.

Do you know if this kind of thing can take away some of the 'shine' from the steering wheel?
If you like the clean matt finish, which I happen to like, then yes it removes the shine. It might take more than one application and I would recommend using the brush on the wheel as well. It does look a bit brutal I have to admit when your using the brush, but its worth it. I would let it settle first between application and wiping off with a warm damp cloth.

Flapps
Old 17th October 2017, 08:59 AM   #7
abeardo83
Wearing official robes

Car: 2008 e92 M3
Colour Combo: Silverstone II / Palladium

Do you actually need leather balm / conditioner on modern, coated car seats?
abeardo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 09:39 AM   #8
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeardo83 View Post
Do you actually need leather balm / conditioner on modern, coated car seats?
Modern car seats, whether coated or not still get small amounts of dirt, grime etc ingrained in the pores of the leather and overtime these begin to get noticed, so in answer to your question I would say yes they do need the periodic clean to stay in tip top shape. Donít forget leather is a natural material and needs looking after

Flapps
Old 17th October 2017, 12:49 PM   #9
bandit
A mere Chipper

Quote:
If you like the clean matt finish, which I happen to like, then yes it removes the shine. It might take more than one application and I would recommend using the brush on the wheel as well. It does look a bit brutal I have to admit when your using the brush, but its worth it. I would let it settle first between application and wiping off with a warm damp cloth.

Flapps
Thanks Flapps - do you have any brush suggestions...?

Is something like the below suitable? I agree it looks aggressive, I'll go light!

https://www.amazon.com/COLOURLOCK-in...cleaning+brush
Old 17th October 2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit View Post
Thanks Flapps - do you have any brush suggestions...?

Is something like the below suitable? I agree it looks aggressive, I'll go light!

https://www.amazon.com/COLOURLOCK-in...cleaning+brush
Have a look on eBay for gliptone, they do some cleaner, balm and a brush. Thatís the route I took and have had no issues at all

Flapps
Old 18th October 2017, 07:47 AM   #11
abeardo83
Wearing official robes

Car: 2008 e92 M3
Colour Combo: Silverstone II / Palladium

Quote:
Modern car seats, whether coated or not still get small amounts of dirt, grime etc ingrained in the pores of the leather and overtime these begin to get noticed, so in answer to your question I would say yes they do need the periodic clean to stay in tip top shape. Donít forget leather is a natural material and needs looking after

Flapps
No I agree that leather needs cleaning, I just remember a leather professional on detailing addicts say that modern leather doesn't need treating / balming, as it's coated.
abeardo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 08:25 AM   #12
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeardo83 View Post
No I agree that leather needs cleaning, I just remember a leather professional on detailing addicts say that modern leather doesn't need treating / balming, as it's coated.
I guess it depends on how long lasting the coatings are. I honestly don't know when the coating is applied. Is it during cutting process in the factory or when the seat is installed in the car? I mention this from the point of view of coverage. I would suspect the former in order to get the best uniform coverage. I see that we both have early E9x models and when I got mine I recall them saying something about the seats being covered with something to prevent colour fade in sunlight (mines a vert, but I'm not a hairdresser) I thought that this might be something like the salesman favourite, Scotch-guard, which I took with a pinch of salt. I have to say I haven't noticed any colour fade due to exposure to sunlight and I've had my car since 2009.

I'm left with the question then as to why I add a balm/conditioner (seriously Im not a hairdresser!!!!) after cleaning the seat's? Maybe its a placebo effect or just to make me feel better about the seat's?....I don't know. Mind you with the amount of suncream I put on my battered old skin these days, maybe I don't want my seats to look that "leathery"

Flapps
Old 19th October 2017, 12:38 AM   #13
Saf26
A mere Chipper

Car: 2013 E93 M3
Colour Combo: Azurite Black with Champagne Leather

I've been told Meguiar's Spray cleaner/conditioner do a very good job even if you over condition and also their wipes for when you need to quickly wipe down the leather. Need to give Gliptons kit a go as my champagne leathers already showing some dirt and its only been 12 days.
Saf26 is offline   Reply With Quote