The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 3rd December 2017, 07:49 PM   #1
AntOG76
A mere Chipper

Car: 2003 e46 m3 coupe
Colour Combo: Lsb/Lsb
Default Diff poly bush bolts

Looking for an answer, when buying the powerflex diff bushes I'm I right in thinking they come there own bolts? The reason I ask is can the revised BMW diff bolts still be fitted when using the poly bushes?
Thanks.
AntOG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 3rd December 2017, 07:53 PM   #2
bennn
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Titan Silver / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntOG76 View Post
Looking for an answer, when buying the powerflex diff bushes I'm I right in thinking they come there own bolts? The reason I ask is can the revised BMW diff bolts still be fitted when using the poly bushes?
Thanks.
Don't do it mate. The banging they will cause will do your nut in.

The revised bolts wont fit as they aren't long enough. Bolts are supplied but they aren't shanked so you get clunking.

Changing mine back to standard / finding a solution to the clunking is currently on my to do list.
bennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:10 PM   #3
AntOG76
A mere Chipper

I already have them fitted, but I didn't see them before they went in as my garage got them at a better price. I thought they came with bolts but was just checking. Mine has a clunk when going on & off the throttle which was there before the bushes and I don't think it's any worse after fitting. I was just wondering if I could fit the revised bolts to see if it improved any. surely you should be able to get some collard bolts that fit with the poly bushes?
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:06 PM   #4
rem1858
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Imola Red / Imola Red

Powerflex come with their own bolts. OEM wont fit.
My clunk is worse for fitting powerflex, will change back at some point in the future, but I believe you have to buy the entire diff cover with OEM bushes pre-installed..
rem1858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:11 PM   #5
HARBER07
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3 VF570

I still don't understand all this diff bolt ********. I've had power flex black bushes fitted for a couple of years now and they don't give me any more banging than the stock bushes did, just slightly more NVH which is a given.

There is no such thing as miracle bolts to solve diff banging. The original specification has identical dimensions to the revised part number bolt. The only visual difference being the new unthreaded shoulder. However the diameter across this section is identical to the original part.

Maybe the grade was changed to give a superior clamping force, which in turn stops diff moving and therefore the banging. My view is its a fitting error every time when it comes to the power flex bushes. Make sure they are torqued up to spec and not just tight.
HARBER07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:50 PM   #6
AntOG76
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARBER07 View Post
I still don't understand all this diff bolt ********. I've had power flex black bushes fitted for a couple of years now and they don't give me any more banging than the stock bushes did, just slightly more NVH which is a given.

There is no such thing as miracle bolts to solve diff banging. The original specification has identical dimensions to the revised part number bolt. The only visual difference being the new unthreaded shoulder. However the diameter across this section is identical to the original part.

Maybe the grade was changed to give a superior clamping force, which in turn stops diff moving and therefore the banging. My view is its a fitting error every time when it comes to the power flex bushes. Make sure they are torqued up to spec and not just tight.
This is what ive always suspected, there's only so much a bolt can do lol. I think my clunking is more the diff itself as fitting the bushes didn't really make it massively different. I'm just looking for a cheap way of making an improvement. I guess I'm going to have to spend some cash get my diff referbed.
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:15 PM   #7
DaveMSport
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 Individual, E36 M3 track car, Landrover Defender E53 X5, E38 730, E30 318is, E30 Mtec touring
Colour Combo: Techno Violet/silver gray

I've the powerflex black diff bushes and don't have any clunking at all. At first the front diff mount came loose but that was due to the threads in the casing not being great so changed the diff and fitted new bolt and it's been perfect since and has done a 3k round trip to the 'Ring and three trackdays since then without any issues
DaveMSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 12:34 PM   #8
monkeyboy
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 E46 M3 vert manual Laguna Seca Blue
Colour Combo: Laguna Seca blue, matching leather

I did mine with power flex bushes not difference in noise at all, the oem bolts fit as well, never understood all the drama surrounding people saying itís noisy, when it isnít.
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 04:34 PM   #9
schooner32
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black

I dont know why anyone would fit poly diff bushes over the stock diff bushes. The stock bush quality is hands down better than the poly. If anyone has held a stock front diff bush in your hand you would be fairly impressed with its robustness and weight. Its more less solid steel.

Oem diff bushes are very much under rated and I removed my diff poly diff bushes because they just are not as good as stock. I have black poly subframe fitted and very pleased with them.
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 04:51 PM   #10
Rick M3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I did mine with power flex bushes not difference in noise at all, the oem bolts fit as well, never understood all the drama surrounding people saying itís noisy, when it isnít.
The OEM bolts definitely don't fit, so I think you're talking about a different bush
Rick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 10:10 AM   #11
DaveMSport
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 Individual, E36 M3 track car, Landrover Defender E53 X5, E38 730, E30 318is, E30 Mtec touring
Colour Combo: Techno Violet/silver gray

Yes probably thinking of the front bush.

We're yours black or yellow powerflex diff bushes, Mark?
Just as my black ones are pretty solid. Yellow ones have always been ****e. Even for as far back as E30s
DaveMSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 01:28 PM   #12
schooner32
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMSport View Post
Yes probably thinking of the front bush.

We're yours black or yellow powerflex diff bushes, Mark?
Just as my black ones are pretty solid. Yellow ones have always been ****e. Even for as far back as E30s
They were black. When talking about the poly front bush at least. I would only have an OEM bush considering its build quality. It weighs like 600gr and more solid than poly in my eyes
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote