The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Forum Sponsors and Advertisers > Storm Motorwerks

Old 1st February 2014, 05:43 PM   #1
[email protected]
Site Sponsor

Car: E39 M5
Default Billet SMG Gaiter Ring

Precision machined in the UK from Stainless Steel, this piece replaces the standard plastic ring found on the E46 M3 SMG.

The SMG Ring was put onto our drawing board by fellow M3Cutters members wanting a matching item to our SMG Gearknobs. After a few design iterations and input from you guys we arrived at the design you now see. It features a tapered top face which drops into a curve - this combination of geometries makes the ambient light reflect in a way such as to accenaute the overall design. In addition we incorporated seven machined dimples to give it an OEM feel as the original has the same number of set screws around its perimeter.

The real work and effort however was put into the base of the ring. The panel on which it sits has a curvature so a flat ring simply would not fit well and leave gaps. We then mapped the curvature of the base and incorporated it onto the ring to minimise gaps and provide an exceptional fit. Machining a curve into the base was the biggest challenge but one which I am glad to say which we have overcome!

Here is a photo showing the curvature of the base:

Available in brushed and Titanium Plated:

Comparison with the OEM Plastic items:

Some more pics:

The full set: SMG Paddles, Gearknob, Ring, Handbrake, Sat Nav Knobs:

Installation is simple - CLICK

Pricing:

Brushed Stainless Steel: 60.00
Titanium Plated: 75.00

P&P: 4.50

Please contact me for a discount on buying the set.
Bill@Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Trevcoss
On the path

Car: Bmw m3 amongst others things

I have the ring, gear lever and paddles on order right now in titanium, quite excited to receive them and rid the interior of the awful chrome plastic rubbish bmw saw fit to fit. I will go for a new handbrake as well as soon as funds allow. Would be great to rid the insides of the chrome door pull handles and perhaps a titanium PVD coated that is SMG badge.
Trevcoss is offline   Reply With Quote