The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 29th August 2015, 09:37 PM   #41
cossie1
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo: Jet Black / Black

[QUOTE=Stu78;1769916]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
As said, everyone on here was saying the same, so he took the car to Evolve and it put down the same numbers on there dyno

Why do you think the maf is a restriction ?[/QUOTE

So 60 bhp from a remap alone? When he moved to CSL airbox he should of seen further gains as the stock airflow is far more restrictive so how can he not make any further gains? Just doesn't all add up to me. Don't know anyone else on here that's made 380 with a stock intake? Don't believe it for 1 minute like everyone else by the sounds of it. It's impossible to produce those figures unless a lot more engine work has been done.

Plus don't know anyone who has not made a gain when fitting a CSL airbox? Just all a bit odd.
No he had other mods, panel filter, sports cats, csl midpipe and backbox, not sure what else, but it was the same mods before and after the csl box, map sensor, ecu etc etc (except for the panel filter obviously).
cossie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 29th August 2015, 09:37 PM   #42
M3CARBON1
Site Sponsor

Location: Global Solution Offered Remotely for all remapping needs
Car: 2002 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon - Red nappa

A true 380bhp with the stock air box I don't think would be possible. Getting 360 BHP from these engines is a challenge let alone 380, I think I could get 370 absolute max but the measures needed for that wouldn't be safe, let alone the RON rating fuel to support it.

As far as I know Evolves dyno is accurate and never seen that kind of figure from just a mapped E46 M3, if they did, they would tell us and offer it on their tuning.

With the above mods you are good for 367 with a very healthy engine.

Last edited by M3CARBON1; 29th August 2015 at 09:40 PM.
M3CARBON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 10:09 PM   #43
cossie1
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo: Jet Black / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CARBON1 View Post
A true 380bhp with the stock air box I don't think would be possible. Getting 360 BHP from these engines is a challenge let alone 380, I think I could get 370 absolute max but the measures needed for that wouldn't be safe, let alone the RON rating fuel to support it.

As far as I know Evolves dyno is accurate and never seen that kind of figure from just a mapped E46 M3, if they did, they would tell us and offer it on their tuning.

With the above mods you are good for 367 with a very healthy engine.
Looking through his thread on here, it pulled 369bhp @ Evolve and 377bhp @ Powerstation with the stock airbox (it doesn't matter what the rest of the mods are / were, the airbox and maf is what we are interested in here).

With the CSL box and Evolve Alpha N tune it made 386bhp @ Powerstation and with the CSL bits and TTFS tune 380bhp @ Powerstation.

So based on using the same dyno (but different days, cold winter day vs warmish spring day), the gain from stock airbox to csl box was between 3 and 9bhp (he lost torque).
cossie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 10:57 PM   #44
Empower
Achieved official socks

Car: VT550 Supercharged Vert
Colour Combo: Individual Estoril Blue 2 - Cinnamon

Beek racing in holland did 384 bhp stock airbox
ron98
Empower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 06:20 AM   #45
MWagon
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M Touring
Colour Combo: Silver/Black

Unless the power figure was found on an actual engine dyno as supposed to a rolling road then the only figure that should be compared is wheel power. Flywheel power could be calculated +/- 5% at best.
MWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 07:02 AM   #46
chattan
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 LE500, M3 Evo Track & RS4

Mike are you old AL tuning ?
chattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 09:21 AM   #47
Empower
Achieved official socks

Car: VT550 Supercharged Vert
Colour Combo: Individual Estoril Blue 2 - Cinnamon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkcDG3AY4UE
Empower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 09:32 AM   #48
Loader
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: Silver Grey / Black

Had the Rev matching software from this chap a few months back . Very happy with the service and outcome.
Loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 10:18 AM   #49
M3CARBON1
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattan View Post
Dont know who they are mate..

I just did a search on them and it seems they haven't the best rep, they look like they are not even operating any more.

Last edited by M3CARBON1; 30th August 2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 30th August 2015, 11:26 AM   #50
M3CARBON1
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empower View Post
I am assuming the lower number on that graph of 347 is the stock figure..

Never heard of a standard M making that..! And it never could.

The dyno type they are using typical to over read. If you read the delta (the difference) is 34BHP gain. That is about right for good mapping and with the mods on that car. I made a gain of 30BHP with stock exhaust.

You can use a dyno that over reads to find the delta once you have done a mod if you want to ignore the initial figure. Either way you will still find the difference.

I bet that if you were to run that car on a dyno dynamics in 3rd it would make 360-365. Also if you look at the end of the graph the remapped curve from 8-8.5k actually drops compared to the stock tune, if you play with the vanos timing up in this RPM you can make an increase here...They obviously didn't know that.

This run is also done in PK which is not the same as BHP and is metric HP. The way you work this out is..

BHP to Kilowatts, based on 360BHP is 268Kw, Kw to PK is 365BHP (as we know it) the actual figure shows 370 but you have to factor in other parameters such as correction factors etc and this brings you to 365BHP there or there abouts which is correct. So not 382BHP at all.

Last edited by M3CARBON1; 30th August 2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 30th August 2015, 12:15 PM   #51
GTR Racer
Wearing official robes

Car: 2004 BMW M3, 2013 Aprilia RSV4

I was gunna do a run with mine Mike, but ah 75 for a power run I find absolutely scandalous when the car runs fine as is thanks to yourself.

I had an interesting doo with a 02' stock manual Coupe at the weekend from 30mph on wards though, and I was surprised by the lengths I was pulling out on him! I think the 30/35hp gains you speak of were quiet evident to the point my dad at first thought it was a 330i haha! Mate of mines got a E92 M3 and had a 46 not so long ago and was surprised how well mine pulled, even more so for being a vert and typically more heavier than a coupe!
GTR Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 12:33 PM   #52
M3CARBON1
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR Racer View Post
I was gunna do a run with mine Mike, but ah 75 for a power run I find absolutely scandalous when the car runs fine as is thanks to yourself.

I had an interesting doo with a 02' stock manual Coupe at the weekend from 30mph on wards though, and I was surprised by the lengths I was pulling out on him! I think the 30/35hp gains you speak of were quiet evident to the point my dad at first thought it was a 330i haha! Mate of mines got a E92 M3 and had a 46 not so long ago and was surprised how well mine pulled, even more so for being a vert and typically more heavier than a coupe!
Yeah thats pretty expensive...Where was that?

Really? Thats interesting as the verts are heavier. Good to hear you are happy mate.

Lots of time went into it.
Old 30th August 2015, 01:47 PM   #53
GTR Racer
Wearing official robes

Car: 2004 BMW M3, 2013 Aprilia RSV4

RS Tuning only ones near by that have the dyno dynamics ones. Mates going to revo in Manchester for his S3 mapping and I asked him to enquire on a power run there and they wanted 70 + VAT!

Yeah I was amazed, he came alongside me at the next set of lights and asked if I had s full system, said he could definitely hear mine as it romped away! Haha

Indeed! Haha. Making nice little pops on the over run at times and on changes from 1st to 2nd recently too
GTR Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 02:34 PM   #54
DJ Syxx
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Stahl Grau & Cinnamon

Quote:
Thats an insult! I know Mike well and he knows his **** unlike AL cowboy tuning.
DJ Syxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 04:04 PM   #55
chattan
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CARBON1 View Post
Dont know who they are mate..

I just did a search on them and it seems they haven't the best rep, they look like they are not even operating any more.
He's still operating mate, that's why I asked, no insult intended. Better safe than sorry.

What can you do for my M6 & what are your prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Syxx View Post
Thats an insult! I know Mike well and he knows his **** unlike AL cowboy tuning.
Not an insult! I don't know Mike, it was only wise to ask.

Old 30th August 2015, 06:34 PM   #56
NickMexico
Wearing official underwear

Car: E92 M3 SPACE GREY , E46 PHEONIX YELLOW TRACK CAR

Mike did the remap on mine running gruppem style air box and csl rev match . Good friend has a dyno dynamic machine a runs the corner from my work will arrange to get her strapped on later this week and show everyone the graph . My car feels amazing now much more responsive in all areas and the CSL rev match as others will know is to die for . Proper service well chuffed
NickMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 09:48 AM   #57
chattan
Achieved official socks

Without stating the obvious, can someone explain exactly how the Rev match works & is it specifically for SMGii or will it work on SMGIII also ?

Cheers.
Old 31st August 2015, 10:28 AM   #58
XKaLiBaR
Site Sponsor

Car: E46 M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Red/Red

Quote:
Without stating the obvious, can someone explain exactly how the Rev match works & is it specifically for SMGii or will it work on SMGIII also ?

Cheers.
Your M6 should already have the blip when you shift down.

[email protected] from a remap

Guys, all i can say is, Mike has done some serious homework on these ECUs and how the remapping stuff works.

I had the evolve airbox with alpha n, and it lost all low down power. Everything on track was leaving me coming out of the slow hairpins, even though i took the corner faster.
Mike explained why, and my ecu was transferred to the CSL version. The fact that an non preface flit ecu can be upgraded to the newer style of ecu, and then programmed to run as a csl one, is genius. No one in the UK offers this.

Now my car pulls like a train at low revs. There is still a little lag upto about 2.5k rpm, but thats because I don't have an original csl airbox, with the flap. But its far better than having lag all the way up to 6k rpm!

So thank you Mike, I can finally enjoy my car again. As I was going to go back to stock intake.
XKaLiBaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 11:18 AM   #59
chattan
Achieved official socks

My M6 does blimp Baris
Old 31st August 2015, 11:40 AM   #60
M3CARBON1
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaLiBaR View Post
Your M6 should already have the blip when you shift down.

[email protected] from a remap

Guys, all i can say is, Mike has done some serious homework on these ECUs and how the remapping stuff works.

I had the evolve airbox with alpha n, and it lost all low down power. Everything on track was leaving me coming out of the slow hairpins, even though i took the corner faster.
Mike explained why, and my ecu was transferred to the CSL version. The fact that an non preface flit ecu can be upgraded to the newer style of ecu, and then programmed to run as a csl one, is genius. No one in the UK offers this.

Now my car pulls like a train at low revs. There is still a little lag upto about 2.5k rpm, but thats because I don't have an original csl airbox, with the flap. But its far better than having lag all the way up to 6k rpm!

So thank you Mike, I can finally enjoy my car again. As I was going to go back to stock intake.
Alright Baris,

Cheers for chiming in mate. glad you are happy. Your car is so clean it amazes me each time I see it.