The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 24th May 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
snerkler
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3
Colour Combo: Mineral white/black novillo
Default Another servicing question

I've used the search but can't find the exact info I'm after. I know service intervals and work will vary form car to car and owner to owner but I was wondering if those who have bought new wouldn't mind listing their service costs and intervals/mileage over the first 3 years of ownership, including the running in service. Just trying to get an idea of the average costs
snerkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 25th May 2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Ant Man
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3 Competition Pack & Edition spec
Colour Combo: Santorini Blue / black with blue stitching

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
I've used the search but can't find the exact info I'm after. I know service intervals and work will vary form car to car and owner to owner but I was wondering if those who have bought new wouldn't mind listing their service costs and intervals/mileage over the first 3 years of ownership, including the running in service. Just trying to get an idea of the average costs
Missed your posts

Definately what you're after has been discussed plenty of times before - you must search harder

-But..running in service - 350-400 quid -1st oil service
-approx 16k miles or 2yrs later - 2nd oil service - engine oil, air filter and pollen filters - 350 or so
-approx 16k miles or 2yrs later - 3rd oil service - the big one - 900
- 2yrs brake fluid - 80

The above is what I recall reading on this forum re price. Your local dealer can give you the prices of the above service items.
Ant Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 12:16 PM   #3
snerkler
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Missed your posts

Definately what you're after has been discussed plenty of times before - you must search harder

-approx 16k miles or 2yrs later - 2nd oil service - engine oil, air filter and pollen filters - 350 or so
- 2yrs brake fluid - 80

The above is what I recall reading on this forum re price. Your local dealer can give you the prices of the above service items.
Thanks. So the big one comes up at 4 years roughly? So if you have the car for 3 years you could be lucky enough to only have to pay 700-800 in total for servicing?
Old 25th May 2012, 12:17 PM   #4
snerkler
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Missed your posts
I've always been around on the forum
Old 25th May 2012, 12:26 PM   #5
goonas
Achieved official socks

Car: 2017 M140i
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue / Black

If you were to buy new you most definately should buy the 5 year service plan, 1k for 5 years!
goonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 12:55 PM   #6
dipesh.tan
Achieved official socks

Car: 2016 BMW X5 M
Colour Combo: Donington Grey/Mugello Full Red Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonas View Post
If you were to buy new you most definately should buy the 5 year service plan, 1k for 5 years!
Mine came with that, only thing not included are brakes
dipesh.tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 01:16 PM   #7
DazNich
Achieved official socks

Car: None

I've just bought a 10 plate saloon and it had the service pack, stays with the car so all my servicing and inspections are free until March 2015.

BMW quoted me 1,076 for it's 30k service, ended up costing me 15 for a hire car for the day instead, result!!!

The best thing is the garage (not BMW) who sold me the car didn't know it had the service pack and because a service was due I got 1k off the price and then my service for free :-)
DazNich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 06:44 PM   #8
snerkler
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Missed your posts

- 2yrs brake fluid - 80

Does this then keep cycling round, ie 6 years you'd be back at the 350 service then 2years later another big one ie 900
Old 26th May 2012, 10:49 PM   #9
RichM3
Achieved official socks

Car: '64' F80 330d M Sport
Colour Combo: Estoril blue/ Black leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonas View Post
Not if you're only going to keep the car for 3 years
RichM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 06:54 AM   #10
Telsy
Achieved official socks

Car: 2012 E92 M3 DCT Comp pack
Colour Combo: Silverstone / Black

Quote:
Thanks. So the big one comes up at 4 years roughly? So if you have the car for 3 years you could be lucky enough to only have to pay 700-800 in total for servicing?

Remember its all CBS. My big service came round at 27,000, fair enough, it was just over 3 years old, but I would say to be prepared for this service at around this mileage and not based on age. As far as I am aware, the only time based change is brake fluid which recently cost me 119.
Telsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 07:15 AM   #11
snerkler
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telsy View Post
Remember its all CBS. My big service came round at 27,000, fair enough, it was just over 3 years old, but I would say to be prepared for this service at around this mileage and not based on age. As far as I am aware, the only time based change is brake fluid which recently cost me 119.
Yeah, thanks. I did know that, just trying to get an idea. What I'm also trying to get an idea of if after this whether it cycles big service, small service, big service, small service etc etc, approx every 18-24 months depending on driving etc. just trying to get an idea of servicing costs if I buy second hand. I'd budgeted 1000 per year but it's starting to appear that I'd over-budgeted by some margin?
Old 27th May 2012, 01:34 PM   #12
Telsy
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Yeah, thanks. I did know that, just trying to get an idea. What I'm also trying to get an idea of if after this whether it cycles big service, small service, big service, small service etc etc, approx every 18-24 months depending on driving etc. just trying to get an idea of servicing costs if I buy second hand. I'd budgeted 1000 per year but it's starting to appear that I'd over-budgeted by some margin?
Its hard to say.

Have had mine just coming up to 2 years, was 2 years old when I bought it, about 12K, was budgeting 800 / year on it and have spent around 1,100 on servicing and not due another service for 10K, which will take maybe 12 months.

Had oil service as part of AUC when I bought it, then 'the big one' at 27K which cost around 1K, then just had brake fluid; every 2 years, at 120.

I have had front discs and pads in that time also though which were about 700 from memory.

Then there are tyres, but I am getting excellent mileage out of the Michelin pilots, especially the super sports on the front. I am on my 2nd set of rears and still on my first set of fronts so about 1,700 in rubber!

so, in 2 years or about 25K miles, I will have spent 1100 on services, 1,700 on tyres and 700 on brakes! Sounds a lot doesn't it, but think the figure for 3 years will seem much more sensible as I plenty left in the tyres and the next service due will just be oil.
Old 27th May 2012, 02:00 PM   #13
snerkler
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Its hard to say.

Have had mine just coming up to 2 years, was 2 years old when I bought it, about 12K, was budgeting 800 / year on it and have spent around 1,100 on servicing and not due another service for 10K, which will take maybe 12 months.

Had oil service as part of AUC when I bought it, then 'the big one' at 27K which cost around 1K, then just had brake fluid; every 2 years, at 120.

I have had front discs and pads in that time also though which were about 700 from memory.

Then there are tyres, but I am getting excellent mileage out of the Michelin pilots, especially the super sports on the front. I am on my 2nd set of rears and still on my first set of fronts so about 1,700 in rubber!

so, in 2 years or about 25K miles, I will have spent 1100 on services, 1,700 on tyres and 700 on brakes! Sounds a lot doesn't it, but think the figure for 3 years will seem much more sensible as I plenty left in the tyres and the next service due will just be oil.
Thanks for this, very helpful. I always budget tyres separately. Maybe 1k a year's not far off then if you include brakes.
Old 27th May 2012, 03:36 PM   #14
Telsy
Achieved official socks

Yeah, you could be luckier and I have taken the BMW extended warranty so am locked into dealer service costs, but also as it is my own car and not on lease, should help me with resale in the future.
Old 27th May 2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Telsy
Achieved official socks

Do you know, I am sure that when I bought mine there was an option for a service pack of some sort on it even though it was used. If I bought new, that would be a no brainer as far as i I am concerned.
Old 27th May 2012, 03:41 PM   #16
snerkler
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Do you know, I am sure that when I bought mine there was an option for a service pack of some sort on it even though it was used. If I bought new, that would be a no brainer as far as i I am concerned.
I wondered if you could, and an extended used warranty. It will be something I'll be enquiring about
Old 27th May 2012, 05:53 PM   #17
Telsy
Achieved official socks

Let me know how you go, my local dealer will be calling me tomorrow to try and get me to bite on a new one and I too will let you know how it goes. To be honest, I would like a used one as you save a shed load in depreciation, but let's see.
Old 27th May 2012, 06:01 PM   #18
snerkler
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Let me know how you go, my local dealer will be calling me tomorrow to try and get me to bite on a new one and I too will let you know how it goes. To be honest, I would like a used one as you save a shed load in depreciation, but let's see.
It all depends on how you view it. If you're buying cash then yes, if you're doing PCP or lease I just see it as renting the car for a few years and depreciation has less of an impact (depending on your point of view)
Old 27th May 2012, 07:01 PM   #19
Telsy
Achieved official socks

Quote:
It all depends on how you view it. If you're buying cash then yes, if you're doing PCP or lease I just see it as renting the car for a few years and depreciation has less of an impact (depending on your point of view)
Totally agree, but I am in the 'cash' camp just now, but am looking to change over to pcp/lease option to get myself into a position of having new every 2 - 3 years. Looking at it, I dont like the cost!
Old 27th May 2012, 07:29 PM   #20
snerkler
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Totally agree, but I am in the 'cash' camp just now, but am looking to change over to pcp/lease option to get myself into a position of having new every 2 - 3 years. Looking at it, I dont like the cost!
I think it works out better, if you get a deal like the one I PM'd you and not the silly offer you had.
You will lose a minimum 30k on a 60k car in the first 3 years, that works out at 833/month. That deal I PM'd you was quite a bit less than this AND included tax & service for the duration. So the lease option is cheaper & you don't have to worry about moving it on at the end.
This is why I don't understand cash buyers who say that finance and leasing is a waste of money and having your pants down. In this example it actually costs you more as a cash buyer.