The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 10th October 2017, 01:24 PM   #21
7DT
Wearing official robes

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

As an update, seeing as the clutch died, and seeing as it was in the garage anyway, decided to get them replaced. Finding out today whether the clutch death has lead to me doing preventive maintenance that could have been left for a while, or whether I've just dodged a massive bullet
7DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10th October 2017, 01:44 PM   #22
theworkerb
Achieved official socks

Car: 03 E46 M3 - Mystic Blue

Look forward to hearing/seeing the results (if you have pics)
theworkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 01:53 PM   #23
Hopz121
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Silver Grey with Grey leather

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Not sure I trust these oil analysis things but time will tell I guess.

Ill be interested to hear how you find the car after a new clutch too

Good luck.
Hopz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 02:12 PM   #24
Andy6527
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2002 M3 SMG Coupe
Colour Combo: Silver / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DT View Post
As an update, seeing as the clutch died, and seeing as it was in the garage anyway, decided to get them replaced. Finding out today whether the clutch death has lead to me doing preventive maintenance that could have been left for a while, or whether I've just dodged a massive bullet
Where did you decide to take it in the end? I am in North London and keen to find a good indy myself. Used Technosport for my inspection II who were pretty good to be fair.
Andy6527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 02:49 PM   #25
7DT
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6527 View Post
Where did you decide to take it in the end? I am in North London and keen to find a good indy myself. Used Technosport for my inspection II who were pretty good to be fair.
Well, got lucky, when the clutch fried Shaun (Gosling racing) said he had some spare time to fit it in, so I ended up where I initially wanted to go despite him always being busy these days (for good reason) so that was a good result.

if you're in north london, GRID isn't too bad to get to, a fun blast up the A1 and you're there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz121 View Post
Looking forward to seeing the results.

Not sure I trust these oil analysis things but time will tell I guess.

Ill be interested to hear how you find the car after a new clutch too

Good luck.
Well, since I've put maybe 500-600 miles on it since doing the analysis I think this will show how reliable it is, or whether it was a total waste of money.

New clutch, new flywheel, SMG pump relocation and bearings. All this because the clutch died. I really need to spread the excitement/costs out a bit more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworkerb View Post
Look forward to hearing/seeing the results (if you have pics)
So am I! I know it's happening right now, and I am kind morbidly interested in the results. Should (hopefully) have pictures this evening, or some results at least!
Old 11th October 2017, 03:13 PM   #26
theworkerb
Achieved official socks

Car: 03 E46 M3 - Mystic Blue

Any update?
theworkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 07:00 AM   #27
7DT
Wearing official robes

Crankshaft scratched. So that wasn't exactly good news. Bearing also worn, but the bearing seem like the least of my worries. On the other hand at least I went with paranoia rather than the oil sample report, so I still have an engine even if it does look like it was heading towards bricking itself.

Last edited by 7DT; 12th October 2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12th October 2017, 07:49 AM   #28
bennn
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Titan Silver / Black

That's the crankshaft mate but doesn't look good. Guessing it's bits on the oil that have caused that? Do you know if it's had regular changes?!
bennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 08:07 AM   #29
7DT
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennn View Post
That's the crankshaft mate but doesn't look good. Guessing it's bits on the oil that have caused that? Do you know if it's had regular changes?!
Since I've had it it's had 2 oil changes, so new oil about every 4000 miles.

And yeah, doesn't look good so pretty gutted that it's another thing, but, come this far, no point in giving up, literally the only thing left that hasn't been overhauled.

Just more pissed off that I haven't got anything to drive at the moment.
Old 12th October 2017, 08:10 AM   #30
7DT
Wearing official robes

but as to it's life previous to me getting it, guessing it had more than it's fair share of neglect, so oil change wise previous to this year, no clue.
Old 12th October 2017, 03:09 PM   #31
M111HOO
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 (SMG)
Colour Combo: Carbon Schwartz/Black nappa

Man you are so unlucky, I feel your pain!
M111HOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 04:28 PM   #32
7DT
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M111HOO View Post
Man you are so unlucky, I feel your pain!
I'm starting to wonder if I am genuinely cursed at this point.
Old 12th October 2017, 08:58 PM   #33
Benchmark
A mere Chipper

Car: 2001 M3 - Restoration
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

Now I'm paranoid (plus around the corner from you) since you did the oil analysis and it came back clear yet you discovered that!
I just ordered the same oil sample kit, which now seems like a waste of time.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 09:06 PM   #34
7DT
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
Now I'm paranoid (plus around the corner from you) since you did the oil analysis and it came back clear yet you discovered that!
I just ordered the same oil sample kit, which now seems like a waste of time.
I'd say it is. Oil testing was a waste of money. Completely. If it's not been done get it over with and do it.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:53 AM   #35
Hopz121
Achieved official socks

Quote:
I'd say it is. Oil testing was a waste of money. Completely. If it's not been done get it over with and do it.
Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you OP.

I did think this oil analysis isn't all its cracked up to be, It wont easily be able to tell you any damage caused in a earlier life anyway.

You are doing the right thing now though and its defiantly worth doing, you will have a sorted M3 after.

I have mine done as preventative at 107K and I caught it just in time no scoring of the crank but the shells were really past there best and could have let go at any point!

Do you have pictures of all of the shells uppers and lowers? the Shells don't look too bad tbh, did it have the recall done?
Old 13th October 2017, 09:52 AM   #36
7DT
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you OP.

I did think this oil analysis isn't all its cracked up to be, It wont easily be able to tell you any damage caused in a earlier life anyway.

You are doing the right thing now though and its defiantly worth doing, you will have a sorted M3 after.

I have mine done as preventative at 107K and I caught it just in time no scoring of the crank but the shells were really past there best and could have let go at any point!

Do you have pictures of all of the shells uppers and lowers? the Shells don't look too bad tbh, did it have the recall done?
Yeah, it had the recall done, checked that a while ago, but then worked out that if recall was done within 2-3 years of it being made, that at that point by law of averages I'd have been done at maximum 30k, so 120k on top of that just got me to the paranoid state. Whilst it is a bit more than gutting to find out, and yet another thing on a long list this car has had, I'm glad I didn't spin a shell or worse whilst driving.

The shells weren't really as worn as expected for the amount of crap on the crank. Which is something a bit odd, but it is what it is really, could be anything, a bit of crap in the engine due to not having the oil changed, someone replacing the shells but deciding to live with the crank (bodged repair) you just never know what a previous owner decided to do.

Cheers for telling me it's the right thing to do, I think it is as well, this far into it that stopping and giving up really doesn't make much sense, and I'm not one for flipping things I like just to get something else, so this'll just mean I keep the car longer. At the end of the day, I'll pretty much have rebuilt the whole thing after this, and at the same time it has my mind wondering that seeing as the rebuild is happening, it may be an opportunity to just add a little more cash in (or a lot, depending on the budget I am working out) to just go and add some fun stuff to it.

I had thought of just throwing in the towel, but then, I could sell for parts, buy another one, and get faced with another can of worms, so I think that sticking with what I know is the way forward... At least I know that with this done (as it's just an opportunity to redo the vanos as well, see as it's coming apart) that there's really not that much else that I can foresee getting done.

Still not nice though.

Hopefully this'll serve as a warning to just get the shells done to other people.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:44 AM   #37
Benchmark
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Trying to but my guy hasnt got time to do it and everyone wants silly money for the job.
Did you find anyone in our area who charged a reasonable amount for a pre-facelift shell swap?
If so PM me!
Old 13th October 2017, 03:50 PM   #38
Hopz121
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Trying to but my guy hasnt got time to do it and everyone wants silly money for the job.
Did you find anyone in our area who charged a reasonable amount for a pre-facelift shell swap?
If so PM me!
Its around £850 - £900 for a facelift bolts and shells i expect a pre-facelift would be similar
Old 13th October 2017, 05:19 PM   #39
Benchmark
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Its around £850 - £900 for a facelift bolts and shells i expect a pre-facelift would be similar
I would of thought cheaper as theres no replacement bolts.
Its just finding some one good in London who would allow filming... trickier than you would think

Also does this not call into question the truth behind the results being given as surely with damage on OP's car there surely would of been some metal in the oil.

My kit hasn't arrived and I am not usually one to return things for a refund, but in this case I don't trust the company providing the results and feel as if I should.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:08 PM   #40
Hopz121
Achieved official socks

Quote:
I would of thought cheaper as theres no replacement bolts.
Its just finding some one good in London who would allow filming... trickier than you would think

Also does this not call into question the truth behind the results being given as surely with damage on OP's car there surely would of been some metal in the oil.

My kit hasn't arrived and I am not usually one to return things for a refund, but in this case I don't trust the company providing the results and feel as if I should.
The damage could have been done many oil changes ago thatís the issue hence no metal currently in the oil.

You could just film the after bit showing the bearings that came out of the car.

The bolts are cheap so I donít think you will get it much cheaper to be honest.