The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Other BMWs and other marques > 1 Series, 2 Series, 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series and 8 Series

Old 23rd February 2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Mav281
On the path

Car: 2017 BMW F82 M4
Colour Combo: Sapphire Black + Opal White Marino Leather
Default Mapped BMW 435d

Mate of mine is the owner and operator of TDI-Tuning and he's been banging on about having a side by side run against my M4 ever since I picked it up.

Well, last night we finally had an opportunity to do just that (on a private bit of land of course), and I have to say I was hugely impressed with the 435d's tuning potential. He's running a heavily customised map which is pushing his 435d to around 385bhp/730nm Torque, so it's naturally going to be fast in a straight line. In comparison my M4 is bog standard at the moment.

Result... he was absolutely neck and neck with me up to around 100mph at which point the M4 finally started to stretch it's legs and pull away a bit. No fluke either as we did two or three runs which with similar results each time. I have no doubt that x-drive traction probably has a bit to do with that, my M4 is still wearing the continental sport contact 5 tyres it shipped with, so I don't have great traction at the best of times, but I have to say credit where credit is due - that 435d when it's mapped is hugely quick in a straight line.

He's offered me a custom mapped tuning box for my M4, which I will of course take him up on. That solution works for me, and it looks like he's able to get some good results up around 485-490bhp. I'll more than likely look to tie this in with the GTS gearbox/diff mapping at some point in the very near future.

But - If anyone's looking for a plug and play tuning solution (especially if you have a 435d!), that's quick and easy to install, and gives excellent gains, then give TDI-Tuning in Chelmsford a call and ask to speak to Steve.

Last edited by Mav281; 13th March 2018 at 08:18 AM.
Mav281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 3rd March 2018, 06:32 AM   #2
zuul
Wearing official underwear

Car: F10 M5. F07 GT. Z3MC. 997T. E46M3 (track blaster)Clio 182 Trophy (in storage)!

Ive always liked the 35d engine right back since the E60

Once tuned they not only keep M cars embarrassed on UK roads but offer twice the fuel economy whilst doing it!
zuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018, 11:06 PM   #3
Dis
A mere Chipper

Car: 2013 640d

Very tunable. Normally the box that goes long before the engine just from the torque they put out.
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 07:31 AM   #4
Simundo
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 CS, E90 M3, 1M

Now they've made it 4WD they really are the ultimate daily which once tuned would virtually keep up with anything on the road.
Simundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 09:28 PM   #5
estoril m3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 convertible
Colour Combo: Individual Estoril blue/Individual extended Champagne leather

A BMW 435d X-drive has 630nm as standard from the factory...

When tuned its more like 730nm which is probably why it nearly kept up below 100....

If it had been wet you probably wouldn't have caught him....

Last edited by estoril m3; 8th March 2018 at 09:31 PM.
estoril m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 09:36 PM   #6
jada07515
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver grey track toy

I had a 435 xdrive for 2 weeks, mapped it had it for another week then sold it

Tbh I was not that thrilled by it nor did it feel that quick

Nice daily though
jada07515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 12:54 PM   #7
Reeno
Achieved official socks

Car: F32 435d
Colour Combo: Estoril blue / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada07515 View Post
I had a 435 xdrive for 2 weeks, mapped it had it for another week then sold it

Tbh I was not that thrilled by it nor did it feel that quick

Nice daily though
Echoing this sentiment, had mine for 5 months now and if it wasn't for commute issues i'd of kept my E92. Real world driving it's one of the fastest things on the road but the visceral experience is completely absent, a text-book example of how figures on paper do not directly translate to enjoyment behind the wheel.

Based on the sentiment above i'm leaving it stock and saving the money for my next car, reducing the 0-60 time by another ~0.4 seconds isn't going to suddenly make the car any more rewarding to drive IMHO.

Having said that as a daily commuter with overkill overtaking ability it's great, just a shame i'm a petrol head wanting more
Reeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 08:58 PM   #8
steve01
On the path

Car: M3 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeno View Post
Echoing this sentiment, had mine for 5 months now and if it wasn't for commute issues i'd of kept my E92. Real world driving it's one of the fastest things on the road but the visceral experience is completely absent, a text-book example of how figures on paper do not directly translate to enjoyment behind the wheel.

Based on the sentiment above i'm leaving it stock and saving the money for my next car, reducing the 0-60 time by another ~0.4 seconds isn't going to suddenly make the car any more rewarding to drive IMHO.

Having said that as a daily commuter with overkill overtaking ability it's great, just a shame i'm a petrol head wanting more
This makes interesting reading as Iím considering one of these as a daily myself. Sadly I canít justify running an m car for my 60 mike per day commute so I guess some compromises have to be made!
steve01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 09:37 PM   #9
lambo555
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Laguna Seca Blue over Black

My son's just bought one its like Sh*t off a stick well impressed
lambo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 08:28 PM   #10
RobertK
A mere Chipper

Car: F10 M5 Lci

The *35d models are hugely underestimated. I had a 335d for over years and I loved it. As a point to point and daily driver it's a very accomplished car. Some people criticise the ride and handling but I thought it was a pretty good compromise for the money. Okay, a set of springs and maybe uprated ARBs can improve them on the limit but it's not built to be an M car after all. I would have taken another except after 4 years I wanted something different and so I found myself as I am now in my F10 M5 which is in a different class in terms of quality and comfort but in fairness the new list price was twice that of a 335d and the fuel consumption is a tad heavier!
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote