The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum
 

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > F80 M3 Saloon / F82 M4 Coupe / F83 M4 Convertible



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2018, 09:34 PM   #1
AlpineF30
A mere Chipper
 
AlpineF30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 40
Car: F82 BMW M4
Colour Combo: Sakhir Orange / Black Merino
Default Cleaning M4 steering wheel

What does everybody use to clean their steering wheel?

The wheel on my M4 is quite dirty. I gave it a good scrub with water and a cloth earlier. The wheel was quite shiny but the bit I scrubbed feels textured and matte now but I canít get the rest of the wheel to match.

Is it just a case of getting a leather cleaner or have I somehow ruined my wheel?
AlpineF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 9th July 2018, 09:41 PM   #2
SimonH
Achieved official socks
 
SimonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,094
Car: M4 Comp Pack Mineral White/Sakhir Orange
Default

I have great results with Pears soap, from most corner shops for 70p. Dab a bit onto a sponge, and gently rub away, and the dirt should lift. I then soak up excess moisture with kitchen roll, then wipe down with a microfibre to finish. Obviously this is on the leather wheel, and not alcantara ?.Dont be frightened to give it a good going over
SimonH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 09:43 PM   #3
redfred
Achieved official socks
 
redfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Teesside
Posts: 2,312
Car: 2017 M3 cp black on full black with all the carbon bits
Default

If all else fails I have a beauty which I would exchange for some beer tokens.
redfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 09:43 PM   #4
AlpineF30
A mere Chipper
 
AlpineF30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 40
Car: F82 BMW M4
Colour Combo: Sakhir Orange / Black Merino
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
I have great results with Pears soap, from most corner shops for 70p. Dab a bit onto a sponge, and gently rub away, and the dirt should lift. I then soak up excess moisture with kitchen roll, then wipe down with a microfibre to finish. Obviously this is on the leather wheel, and not alcantara ?.Dont be frightened to give it a good going over

Excellent will pick some up thanks was really worried about taking the finish off the leather wheel but all I used was water and a cloth so if they are quite durable i will give it a go
AlpineF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 10:26 PM   #5
jayukRS
Achieved official socks
 
jayukRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leicester
Posts: 12,275
Car: M4 Austin yellow Comp pack DCT
Colour Combo: Austin/black
Default

Mine has lost that matte look and feel. Even after a good clean it's still shiney. Don't want to use anything to abrasive but I think it needs it to really lift the dirt out.
jayukRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 10:29 PM   #6
Jacko 11
Rocking a new hat
 
Jacko 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 576
Car: M3 F80 CP
Default

Colourlock leathershield!
Jacko 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 11:12 PM   #7
Moonstone
Achieved official socks
 
Moonstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 944
Car: 2018 RS5
Default

I use a steam cleaner on my seats and wheel every 1k miles. Wipe it done with a cloth after. Always come up like new. I wrecked a steering wheel once by using a magic sponge on it after reading guff advice online. No need to use any kind of abrasives or you’ll damage the coating.
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 11:25 PM   #8
Jacko 11
Rocking a new hat
 
Jacko 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 576
Car: M3 F80 CP
Default

Leather driving gloves will stop all manner of detritus affecting the steering wheel
Jacko 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 05:48 AM   #9
Moonstone
Achieved official socks
 
Moonstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 944
Car: 2018 RS5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko 11 View Post
Leather driving gloves will stop all manner of detritus affecting the steering wheel
And make you look like a fud or a murderer.
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 06:00 AM   #10
Unit
Achieved official socks
 
Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,760
Car: 2018 F82 M4 DCT
Colour Combo: San Marino Blue & Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
And make you look like a fud or a murderer.
Ah fook it I’ll get some. Worth it to protect the wheel and I always tell people when they ask that I kill people for a living anyway.
Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 07:05 AM   #11
jayukRS
Achieved official socks
 
jayukRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leicester
Posts: 12,275
Car: M4 Austin yellow Comp pack DCT
Colour Combo: Austin/black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
And make you look like a fud or a murderer.
jayukRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 07:07 AM   #12
jayukRS
Achieved official socks
 
jayukRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leicester
Posts: 12,275
Car: M4 Austin yellow Comp pack DCT
Colour Combo: Austin/black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko 11 View Post
Leather driving gloves will stop all manner of detritus affecting the steering wheel
My missus already takes the piss regarding my love affair with my car. Leather gloves may just be one step too far
jayukRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 07:31 AM   #13
AlpineF30
A mere Chipper
 
AlpineF30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 40
Car: F82 BMW M4
Colour Combo: Sakhir Orange / Black Merino
Default

Thanks all,

Does anybody know how durable the leather steering wheels are in these things?

I am just slightly worried that the area I scrubbed with the cloth and a bit of water now has been destroyed as it feels quite textured compared to the smoothness of the rest of the wheel.

I don't think a cloth and water even with a thorough scrubbing would be abraisve enough to destroy the finish on the wheel?

I am hoping that its just still caked on dirt. I had loaned the car to a friend for a few weeks and he wears a lot of hair gel and I am guessing he has had gel residue on his hands which explains the state of the wheel lol
AlpineF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 07:35 AM   #14
Moonstone
Achieved official socks
 
Moonstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 944
Car: 2018 RS5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineF30 View Post
Thanks all,

Does anybody know how durable the leather steering wheels are in these things?

I am just slightly worried that the area I scrubbed with the cloth and a bit of water now has been destroyed as it feels quite textured compared to the smoothness of the rest of the wheel.

I don't think a cloth and water even with a thorough scrubbing would be abraisve enough to destroy the finish on the wheel?

I am hoping that its just still caked on dirt. I had loaned the car to a friend for a few weeks and he wears a lot of hair gel and I am guessing he has had gel residue on his hands which explains the state of the wheel lol
Shouldnt be as long as its not an abrasive cloth but if the leather is heavily worn through then it may have damaged it further. That was the issue with my M6. Ended up getting a retrim from Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels with half perforated leather for around £150 (I think) best thing I ever did after did as my wheel actually felt sticky after I'd wrecked the finish on it.
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 07:53 AM   #15
redfred
Achieved official socks
 
redfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Teesside
Posts: 2,312
Car: 2017 M3 cp black on full black with all the carbon bits
Default

Just buy my immaculate leather M4 wheel and stop prattling about, once itís dirty just throw it away.
redfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 08:02 AM   #16
AlpineF30
A mere Chipper
 
AlpineF30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 40
Car: F82 BMW M4
Colour Combo: Sakhir Orange / Black Merino
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Shouldnt be as long as its not an abrasive cloth but if the leather is heavily worn through then it may have damaged it further. That was the issue with my M6. Ended up getting a retrim from Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels with half perforated leather for around £150 (I think) best thing I ever did after did as my wheel actually felt sticky after I'd wrecked the finish on it.
Really hope not Car only has 17k on it Its getting ready for sale so the less money thrown at it the better lol.

I used Jack years ago when I had my E60 535d wheel retrimmed was an outstanding job.
AlpineF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 08:03 AM   #17
AlpineF30
A mere Chipper
 
AlpineF30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 40
Car: F82 BMW M4
Colour Combo: Sakhir Orange / Black Merino
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred View Post
Just buy my immaculate leather M4 wheel and stop prattling about, once itís dirty just throw it away.
How much you looking? lol
AlpineF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 08:11 AM   #18
redfred
Achieved official socks
 
redfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Teesside
Posts: 2,312
Car: 2017 M3 cp black on full black with all the carbon bits
Default

£250 delivered, like new complete with centre section.
redfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 08:14 AM   #19
DeadEye
Achieved official socks
 
DeadEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,935
Car: M2 LCI in LBB
Default

I use leather wipes once a month now which makes the wheels quite wet but when you dry it by being tough with a micro-fibre it goes nice and dull again.

I can get rid of the shiny bits where my thumbs go though, I think that's just wear because my hand are always in exactly the same place.
DeadEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 08:21 AM   #20
AndyE
Achieved official socks
 
AndyE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ellesmere Port
Posts: 978
Car: 2016 M4
Colour Combo: SS II / full black merino
Default

Baby wipes seemed to work a treat on mine
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:44 PM.


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies this website uses, click here.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - 2018 M3cutters. All Rights Reserved.