The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum
 

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > F80 M3 Saloon / F82 M4 Coupe / F83 M4 Convertible



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2018, 10:05 AM   #1
ap123ap
Achieved official socks
 
ap123ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,721
Car: M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: Black Sapphire / Black
Default Front brake discs

Preparing myself for a new set of front discs as iím getting a judder when braking hard. They look fairly worn so unlikely will be replaced under AUCW if there is any warping.

What should I expect to pay the dealer to carry out the work? Also, are there any other places I can purchase OE discs from other than the dealer? Thanks
ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 9th July 2018, 10:35 AM   #2
adie
Achieved official socks
 
adie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,459
Car: F80 M3
Colour Combo: Sapphire Black / Silverstone
Default

£913 according to their website...

https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/##your-vehicle
adie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 11:08 AM   #3
ap123ap
Achieved official socks
 
ap123ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,721
Car: M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: Black Sapphire / Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adie View Post
£913 according to their website...

https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/##your-vehicle
Thanks for the link bud, Iím getting £811 for the pads and discs?
ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 11:11 AM   #4
adie
Achieved official socks
 
adie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,459
Car: F80 M3
Colour Combo: Sapphire Black / Silverstone
Default

Even better!!.. says you can also get 0% APR over 12 months if it costs over £250... ''at selected retailers''
adie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 11:34 AM   #5
ap123ap
Achieved official socks
 
ap123ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,721
Car: M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: Black Sapphire / Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adie View Post
Even better!!.. says you can also get 0% APR over 12 months if it costs over £250... ''at selected retailers''
I didnít notice that!

Iíve only had the car 4 months so Iím going to see if I can get a goodwill gesture out of them if they need changing
ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Lawton438
Wearing official underwear
 
Lawton438's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 236
Car: M4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap123ap View Post
I didnít notice that!

Iíve only had the car 4 months so Iím going to see if I can get a goodwill gesture out of them if they need changing
Cotsworld priced me a front set of disc for around £340
Lawton438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 12:00 PM   #7
ap123ap
Achieved official socks
 
ap123ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,721
Car: M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: Black Sapphire / Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawton438 View Post
Cotsworld priced me a front set of disc for around £340
Thanks, Iíve put a post up on their page asking. Looks like itís the labour cost that racks the price up so high.
ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 12:21 PM   #8
DCF80
Wearing official underwear
 
DCF80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 181
Car: 2015 F80 M3
Colour Combo: YMB / Silverstone II
Default

Saw an advert on eBay from Shrewsbury BMW that they were doing the F80 full brake set up for £900; just needs to be fitted. Not a bad price imo.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273326159044

This is a complete brake kit for the BMW F80 M3,the kit will contain:

2 X Front Discs
1 Set of Front Pads
1 Front Pad Sensor
2 X Rear Discs
1 Set of Rear Pads
1 Rear Pad Sensor

Direct from a dealer. Fitting should be straight forward for someone in the know...

Last edited by DCF80; 9th July 2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Detail from advert added :)
DCF80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Lawton438
Wearing official underwear
 
Lawton438's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 236
Car: M4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap123ap View Post
Thanks, Iíve put a post up on their page asking. Looks like itís the labour cost that racks the price up so high.
Theyíre not hard to change buddy, Iím sure there would be plenty of how to vids on the internet too (if you fancied abit of diy). Just need a jack, decent socket set. Few Allen keys, hammer and something to hit the retaining calipers pins out with.
Lawton438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 12:37 PM   #10
ap123ap
Achieved official socks
 
ap123ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,721
Car: M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: Black Sapphire / Black
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawton438 View Post
Theyíre not hard to change buddy, Iím sure there would be plenty of how to vids on the internet too (if you fancied abit of diy). Just need a jack, decent socket set. Few Allen keys, hammer and something to hit the retaining calipers pins out with.
Cheers bud. Iíve always changed them myself on previous cars and have most of the tools to do it all! My only concern was the brake service interval on the dash. Will this automatically change when I put new pads on (assuming they need doing too) or does it need to be plugged in?
ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 02:35 PM   #11
F80Matt
On the path
 
F80Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 108
Car: F80 M3
Colour Combo: Mineral White/Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap123ap View Post
I didnít notice that!

Iíve only had the car 4 months so Iím going to see if I can get a goodwill gesture out of them if they need changing
Was it an AUC? I would be all over the dealership if so. I can't believe that discs that need changing now would have passed their inspection four months ago. (Unless you have done mega miles in that time of course?!?)

I was told, when buying both of our AUC's that you shouldn't have to incur major cost on the car for 12 months after purchasing (caveated with a mileage clause of course).
F80Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 02:40 PM   #12
adie
Achieved official socks
 
adie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,459
Car: F80 M3
Colour Combo: Sapphire Black / Silverstone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap123ap View Post
Cheers bud. I’ve always changed them myself on previous cars and have most of the tools to do it all! My only concern was the brake service interval on the dash. Will this automatically change when I put new pads on (assuming they need doing too) or does it need to be plugged in?
Brake pad wear sensor will need to be renewed and the CBS reset

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nance/1LiqKi85
adie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 03:13 PM   #13
ap123ap
Achieved official socks
 
ap123ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,721
Car: M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: Black Sapphire / Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Matt View Post
Was it an AUC? I would be all over the dealership if so. I can't believe that discs that need changing now would have passed their inspection four months ago. (Unless you have done mega miles in that time of course?!?)

I was told, when buying both of our AUC's that you shouldn't have to incur major cost on the car for 12 months after purchasing (caveated with a mileage clause of course).
Yeah itís a Sytner AUC and Iíve covered 1921 miles. Iím going to be extremely disappointed if they ask me for any money for repair/replacement.

Here is how they look and according to iDrive, the pads have 150,000 miles left on them:

ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 03:16 PM   #14
adie
Achieved official socks
 
adie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,459
Car: F80 M3
Colour Combo: Sapphire Black / Silverstone
Default

There's no way you should have to pay a penny looking at the state of that... after less than 2k miles!... that's appalling. Ask to see the AUC checklist they completed before you bought it
adie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 03:22 PM   #15
ap123ap
Achieved official socks
 
ap123ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,721
Car: M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: Black Sapphire / Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adie View Post
There's no way you should have to pay a penny looking at the state of that... after less than 2k miles!... that's appalling. Ask to see the AUC checklist they completed before you bought it
Agree, itís a bit rubbish that I was handed a performance car with brakes in that state. I will go through my paperwork to see if theyíve given me a copy of the checklist.
ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 04:01 PM   #16
DeadEye
Achieved official socks
 
DeadEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,935
Car: M2 LCI in LBB
Default

How many miles has the car got in total!?

Looks like it's done 40k!
DeadEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 04:05 PM   #17
DCF80
Wearing official underwear
 
DCF80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 181
Car: 2015 F80 M3
Colour Combo: YMB / Silverstone II
Default

What mileage is on the car?

Mine had 36k when I picked it up, now 41k 10weeks later. There is a lip on the disc (not too bad) but pads have loads of life and backed up in the idrive (like you say).

Doesn’t the AUC check just basically do an MOT check - brakes are consumables so as long as they are legal they won’t be concerned about them?
DCF80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 04:09 PM   #18
ap123ap
Achieved official socks
 
ap123ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,721
Car: M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: Black Sapphire / Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
How many miles has the car got in total!?

Looks like it's done 40k!
Itís on 53k now!
ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 04:13 PM   #19
ap123ap
Achieved official socks
 
ap123ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,721
Car: M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: Black Sapphire / Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCF80 View Post
What mileage is on the car?

Mine had 36k when I picked it up, now 41k 10weeks later. There is a lip on the disc (not too bad) but pads have loads of life and backed up in the idrive (like you say).

Doesn’t the AUC check just basically do an MOT check - brakes are consumables so as long as they are legal they won’t be concerned about them?
The Mileage is currently 53k. Just spoke with the dealer I had it from and they said that the auc check should have measurements!

Last edited by ap123ap; 9th July 2018 at 04:37 PM.
ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 04:31 PM   #20
DCF80
Wearing official underwear
 
DCF80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 181
Car: 2015 F80 M3
Colour Combo: YMB / Silverstone II
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap123ap View Post
The Mileage is currently 53k. Just spent me with the dealer I had it from and they said that the auc check should have measurements!
Think you’ve got ground here bud, given the mileage. By experience the dealer needs to be told three times before admitting fault

First thing I checked in the showroom on mine was disc wear on each corner. Was comfortable with the lip present commensurate to miles covered.

Keep pushing them.
DCF80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:24 PM.


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies this website uses, click here.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - 2018 M3cutters. All Rights Reserved.