The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > F80 M3 Saloon / F82 M4 Coupe / F83 M4 Convertible

Old 3rd July 2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Kbf1981
A mere Chipper

Car: Defender
Default New RS5 or M3?

Which would you go for and why? I'm looking at this myself now, and both are available for the same cost over 2yrs approx.

Car will be a second car, that's probably used as a daily driver to go to meetings, motorway miles, some road trips, a bit of fun country road driving over weekends etc... I presently have a Defender 110 which I'll be keeping to use when I need more space or for fun.

Primary motivator for this car is to have something more comfortable to cover long distances in, and if I'm getting a 2nd car, it might as well be fast.
Kbf1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Penetrator
Achieved official socks

Car: RS Savage

RS5 as I’ve had the M3.
RS5 new tech
RS5 sounds better

M3 looks better and up top is faster but normal encounters on our roads the RS5 will eat the M3 for scran.
Penetrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:14 AM   #3
DeadEye
Achieved official socks

Car: M2 LCI in LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbf1981 View Post
Which would you go for and why? I'm looking at this myself now, and both are available for the same cost over 2yrs approx.

Car will be a second car, that's probably used as a daily driver to go to meetings, motorway miles, some road trips, a bit of fun country road driving over weekends etc... I presently have a Defender 110 which I'll be keeping to use when I need more space or for fun.

Primary motivator for this car is to have something more comfortable to cover long distances in, and if I'm getting a 2nd car, it might as well be fast.
You're on the wrong forum to ask that question
DeadEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Unit
Achieved official socks

Car: 2018 F82 M4 DCT
Colour Combo: San Marino Blue & Black

I'd go RS5 in the YMB esq blue that they do. As above the M3 is EOL so go with the newer car.
Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Derek147
Wearing official underwear

Car: Fire Orange F80 M3

There are certain givens on these cars i think:

Audi will win the traction thing.
BMW will win the top end and overall power.

Audi will win the tech/fashion victim angle.
BMW will win the Legacy/motorsport heritage angle.

I'm a total out and out BMW enthusiasist so your never gonna get much sense out of me talking about Audi's but if I was to be subjective........

Audi's are the wanker choice of car in the year 2018
BMW is probably less fashionable than in years gone past
Mercedes seems to have hit a nice space in the market again, gaining favour.
They have the engine sound right and the image is back on point it would seem possibly consider C63?
These image item's could possibly factor into the decision if I was the type of chap objectively considering both cars.

On actual looks the M3 is the more aggressive looking car by far, again this would factor into your decision in owning either marque, the BMW will draw attention much more frequently than the Audi. The pumped up arches, carbon roof and possibly lairy colours makes that a foregone conclusion.

The Audi is more of a quiet car in that respect, they look largely like their ordinary series counterparts other than quad exhausts and larger wheels.
It may suit you if you want to fly under the radar.

The above is subjective and depends what you like best I would say.
For me BMW wins all day and every day on a sunday but like i said I'm not objective in the arguement if I was trying to be the above is what I would say.

Last edited by Derek147; 3rd July 2018 at 12:16 PM.
Derek147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:10 PM   #6
ChrisM250
On the path

Car: F10 535D M Sport

I was faced with a similar decision and went for the M4. I'm sure the RS5 sounds nice and has newer tech, but I'm just not a fan of Audi's. I've seen a few RS5's on the road and don't think they have much visual presence compared to the M cars. Plus I like the fact that I can get out of my current BMW and into an M car and just know who all the interfaces work, especially with the M-drive etc.

That said, I'm sure I'll change my mind after my first winter in an M4! There's a lot to be said with 4WD.
ChrisM250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:19 PM   #7
rsk21
Achieved official socks

Car: Various - ex M4 vert CP

If you like going really fast in a straight line and comparing statistics buy an RS Audi. If you like superbly built cabins buy any Audi.

If you like how a car feels beyond mere speed buy something else.

If you really like driving at this price point take a brave pill and buy the Alfa Giulia Quad you have been asking about on PH.

If I were in the market today I would be very tempted by an M3 CS with CCBs.

Last edited by rsk21; 3rd July 2018 at 01:22 PM.
rsk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:36 PM   #8
riano
On the path

Car: M4
Colour Combo: sapphire black & black full leather

Agree with the above, if you're mainly concerned with winning traffic light grand prix, are a fan of understeer and want a car that looks as boring as it is to drive then get the Audi.

If you want something exciting, dynamic and aggressive looking then get an M3/4. On a warm day in MDM they are absolutely fantastic and no Audi will give you anything like the driving fun an M3/4 will.

I've had my M4 just over a year and it still excites me as much as it did the day I first got it. I'd be bored with an Audi by the time I drove it home from the dealer
riano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:54 PM   #9
ramos333
On the path

Car: F80 M3

I have the M3 and one of the other directors has the RS5. The RS5 is a smother power and more usable and is lovely inside with the new virtual cockpit. The M3 is what i would say a 'petrolheads' car as it's rawer and more engaging to drive and will IMO turn more heads than an RS5.

I'm a big fan of both but it depends what more is important above
ramos333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 01:11 PM   #10
Yas Man
Achieved official socks

Car: 2016 BMW M4 Comp Pack

M3 plus MPE sounds better than the Audi for sure . . . My TT RS sounded great but my M4 with MPE sounds way better.

The interior of the Audi wins but add full leather to the BMW and it’s more of a case of “do you prefer HUD or Virtual Cockpit), the Audi wins on traction in the wet, in the dry it makes no difference but RS4/RS5/TT RS do not have the same road presence, nor do they have the same front end . . . .

. . . and that's the Audi's downfall, they are great cars but the front end bite and communication is dull in comparison to the M3/M4.
Yas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 01:20 PM   #11
Magicman
Achieved official socks

Car: 2018 Audi RS5
Colour Combo: Mythos Black on Black

Do a search. I did a bit of a review after swapping my 66plate comp pack for a new 18 plate RS5 .

It's far from clear cut but I'd go rs5.
Magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 03:02 PM   #12
M4lee1985
Achieved official socks

Car: All black M4 > LBB M2
Colour Combo: LBB

Wouldn’t touch an RS personally, nearly made that mistake myself once. They haven’t got any soul. To me Nigel from the golf club would buy one and bang on about how well they handle in the rain and how quick it is..... but Nigel came from a golf gti

Last edited by M4lee1985; 4th July 2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: My wording is awful .........
M4lee1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 03:32 PM   #13
Derek147
Wearing official underwear

Car: Fire Orange F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4lee1985 View Post
Wouldnít touch an RS personally, nearly made that mistake myself once. Theyíve havenít got any soul. To me Nigel from the golf club would buy one and bang on about how well they handle in the rain and how much fun and quick they are ..... but Nigel came from a golf gti
No holds barred version of what I said pretty much
Derek147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 04:38 PM   #14
Yas Man
Achieved official socks

Car: 2016 BMW M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Wouldnít touch an RS personally, nearly made that mistake myself once. Theyíve havenít got any soul. To me Nigel from the golf club would buy one and bang on about how well they handle in the rain and how much fun and quick they are ..... but Nigel came from a golf gti
Move over Clarkson!

Sums it up perfectly . . . .
Yas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:16 PM   #15
M3 CSL
Rocking a new hat

Colour Combo: YMB / Black

You are asking this on a very biast forum!

Iíve had every RS car and nearly all the M cars (bar the M2 and M6) so I feel my opinion is a fair one -

The M4 is a great car, in good weather conditions and if you have the balls on public roads itís great, and they do look good.

The RS5 is a great car, you can press on in ALL conditions safely and it handles great, much better than previous gens due to Audi moving the engine a bit and making it lighter with the TT V6. In my opinion the RS5 looks better than the M4 if you get the right colour combo, this is subjective but is my opinion.

The tech and cabin in the RS5 is miles ahead of the M4, itís current and a lovely place to be.

It is also VERY rapid, 0-60 on many tests put it closer to 3.2 rather than the stated 3.9 and thatís QUICK, it feels epic when you launch it and with sports exhaust it sounds good too.

Does it bottom out at high speed? I donít know, coming from a FL RS6 Iíd say not until you get to track stretch speeds and who does that?

The RS5 will hold its value much better, the depreciation on an M3/4 is eye watering now if buying new.

If both were offered to me FREE Iíd pick the RS5, I love the fact it does everything great in all weather 12 months of the year.

Test drive both, they are both excellent, it will come down to your personal choice and not that of an Internet forum (I hope)!
M3 CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:21 PM   #16
Tankclark
Achieved official socks

Car: M3, M135i, A45 AMG, RS3 8v, C63pp, E63

The Op stated he basically wants a mile muncher that’s got some lace and luxury, in that respect it has to be the RS5, the interior is miles better. As others have suggested you’ll only get a biased review on here and anyone that states the M4 is better sounding than any Audi RS currently made even with MPE is plainly deaf ha ha ha ha
Tankclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:28 PM   #17
M3 GFY
Achieved official socks

Car: F83 M4 MPE
Colour Combo: Sakhir Orange/Full Black Leather with Sakhir Orange Stitching

Quote:
I agree but would add the Audi owner would also be of a certain age. Donít get me wrong Iím older hence the M4 Vert choice. MLC.
M3 GFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:46 PM   #18
jayukRS
Achieved official socks

Car: M4 Austin yellow Comp pack DCT
Colour Combo: Austin/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankclark View Post
The Op stated he basically wants a mile muncher thatís got some lace and luxury, in that respect it has to be the RS5, the interior is miles better. As others have suggested youíll only get a biased review on here and anyone that states the M4 is better sounding than any Audi RS currently made even with MPE is plainly deaf ha ha ha ha
Do Audi do a "full leather option" I.e dash, top of door cards etc. I do like Audi cockpits and seats but I still feel the M3/4 holds its own with the Audi in terms of interior especially with full leather.
jayukRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 06:03 PM   #19
fireblade1
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW M4
Colour Combo: MW/Full Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 CSL View Post
You are asking this on a very biast forum!

Iíve had every RS car and nearly all the M cars (bar the M2 and M6) so I feel my opinion is a fair one -

The M4 is a great car, in good weather conditions and if you have the balls on public roads itís great, and they do look good.

The RS5 is a great car, you can press on in ALL conditions safely and it handles great, much better than previous gens due to Audi moving the engine a bit and making it lighter with the TT V6. In my opinion the RS5 looks better than the M4 if you get the right colour combo, this is subjective but is my opinion.

The tech and cabin in the RS5 is miles ahead of the M4, itís current and a lovely place to be.

It is also VERY rapid, 0-60 on many tests put it closer to 3.2 rather than the stated 3.9 and thatís QUICK, it feels epic when you launch it and with sports exhaust it sounds good too.

Does it bottom out at high speed? I donít know, coming from a FL RS6 Iíd say not until you get to track stretch speeds and who does that?

The RS5 will hold its value much better, the depreciation on an M3/4 is eye watering now if buying new.

If both were offered to me FREE Iíd pick the RS5, I love the fact it does everything great in all weather 12 months of the year.

Test drive both, they are both excellent, it will come down to your personal choice and not that of an Internet forum (I hope)!
Depreciation will be exactly the same on the RS5 as the M4, all dealers or WBAC try to screw you on second hand, just got rid of wifes high spec 17 plate S5 and best trade in was £32K, lowest was £28K, paid £45K this time last year
fireblade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 06:23 PM   #20
M3 CSL
Rocking a new hat

Colour Combo: YMB / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade1 View Post
Depreciation will be exactly the same on the RS5 as the M4, all dealers or WBAC try to screw you on second hand, just got rid of wifes high spec 17 plate S5 and best trade in was £32K, lowest was £28K, paid £45K this time last year
Utter rubbish Iím afraid, the RS5 will hold its value much better as itís just been released, any good independent dealer will offer a fair price!

WBAC is not a good place to sell a performance car and the indication figure on the Internet is NOT comparable to market price.

The S5 also loses more as itís not an RS.

True story
M3 CSL is offline   Reply With Quote