The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > General and Forum stuff > General Discussion

Old 15th May 2018, 09:54 PM   #21
redfred
Achieved official socks

Car: 2017 M3 cp black on full black with all the carbon bits

I did one and the bloke running it said there is no need to tell your insurance company but he did say a couple were getting a bit ars*y about it.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 15th May 2018, 09:56 PM   #22
bpman
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3; F20 125d M-Sport;
Colour Combo: Mineral White; estoril blue

Admiral are the only insurance company that take the course into account, so if you are with them simply vote with your , even the police don’t classify it as an offence after you have attended the course
bpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018, 10:02 PM   #23
Compaqnx
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW E46 M3 & BMW E85 Z4
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Black - Jet Black/Red

I went on one a few months ago, not something I would have chosen to do by choice but I was well delivered, interactive and has made me a lot more aware of the choice I make during everyday driving.

Yes, there were a few knob jockeys and Barry boys giving it large but the majority gained something from the course.

And mine was in a hotel conference room with tea and biscuits served half way through!
Compaqnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 08:54 AM   #24
SXRORY
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2005 m3
Talking

I went on one for doing 80 on a dual boring, but no conviction....

I rang my mate as we were going to golf. Never even saw the wagon.

He called me a lucker as to be fair Sunday's early mornings I regularly stretched her legs down there.
SXRORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 12:02 PM   #25
jpf
Achieved official socks

Car: M4
Colour Combo: Austin Yellow/ full black leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shezbo View Post
Try some karma brother - as you probably know (?) Confucius said:

"A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it is committing another mistake."
I did one a few years ago for doing 47 in a 60! Ok I was in a lorry rolling down hill off a dual caririageway, so the limit had just reduced to below the signed speed limit (40 for HGVs back then). However the law has now caught up with world and changed for HGVs in national speed limits, the limit became 50mph 3 or 4 years ago.

Course was led by sandal wearing liberal pc I diots banging on about how dangerous just a few miles an hour is, without any consideration to conditions etc. I just tried to keep quiet nod in the correct place. Complete waste of time that I will never ever get back.
jpf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 12:25 PM   #26
rsk21
Achieved official socks

Car: Various - ex M4 vert CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf View Post
I did one a few years ago for doing 47 in a 60! Ok I was in a lorry rolling down hill off a dual caririageway, so the limit had just reduced to below the signed speed limit (40 for HGVs back then). However the law has now caught up with world and changed for HGVs in national speed limits, the limit became 50mph 3 or 4 years ago.

Course was led by sandal wearing liberal pc I diots banging on about how dangerous just a few miles an hour is, without any consideration to conditions etc. I just tried to keep quiet nod in the correct place. Complete waste of time that I will never ever get back.
Surely it saved you three points on your licence and a rise in insurance premium though so not all bad ?
rsk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 12:39 PM   #27
Sp00ks
On the path

Car: E92 DCT M3 & Audi A4 Avant Sline 3.0TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk21 View Post
Surely it saved you three points on your licence and a rise in insurance premium though so not all bad ?
My Mrs wasn't offered the course as her speed was too high (67 in a 50 if I remember correctly, on a dual carriageway) so she just got the 3 points and 100 quid fine, it increased our premium by a whopping 13 quid. Having read about how much of a waste of time these courses are I would just be inclined to take the points, seems a lot less hassle than taking time off work and being patronised for a few hours.
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 01:12 PM   #28
rsk21
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
My Mrs wasn't offered the course as her speed was too high (67 in a 50 if I remember correctly, on a dual carriageway) so she just got the 3 points and 100 quid fine, it increased our premium by a whopping 13 quid. Having read about how much of a waste of time these courses are I would just be inclined to take the points, seems a lot less hassle than taking time off work and being patronised for a few hours.
Personally I think that’s crazy.

Assuming you get offered one why wouldn’t you just suck it up rather than elect to take points ? Yes the three points might not always make a big difference but it’s three points nearer to six or nine or more which where things start to get expensive.
Old 16th May 2018, 01:26 PM   #29
Swoody
On the path

Car: BMW M3 E92
Colour Combo: Siverstone

I did one in Jan for doing 82 on the M23 it was the first time I had been court since I was 18 28 years ago. The course was not too bad it's interesting how many people did not know the speed limits and had been driving too slow more often than fast.

I was warned about Admiral after the course so when I renewed I went elsewhere, Admiral asked me why I was leaving them and when I told them they said they were no longer taking the course into consideration.

Three weeks after the course I was done again doing 35 on a 30 mph Duel Carriage way at midnight so I guess it did not really help me
Swoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 02:25 PM   #30
Dcdad43
Wearing official underwear

Car: E92 M3

Speed awareness courses are a money spinner for the police, why do you think they put so much effort into catching speeders? a crime which in the majority of cases has no direct "victim" and %86 all effort into catching burglars and car thieves which in the majority of cases do have a direct "victim"

https://www.msl.co.uk/police-earn-sp...reness-courses

The police are just chasing the money, its the one thing that makes me feel positive about autonomous cars, no more speeding, no more speed awareness courses.

Dcdad.
Dcdad43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 02:31 PM   #31
Nigt3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 m3
Colour Combo: titanium silver

a load of complete an utter nonsense, I've 11 points but down to 5 soon and refused this course after the 1st 3, complete waste of time.
Nigt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 02:44 PM   #32
rsk21
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcdad43 View Post
Speed awareness courses are a money spinner for the police, why do you think they put so much effort into catching speeders? a crime which in the majority of cases has no direct "victim" and %86 all effort into catching burglars and car thieves which in the majority of cases do have a direct "victim"

https://www.msl.co.uk/police-earn-sp...reness-courses

The police are just chasing the money, its the one thing that makes me feel positive about autonomous cars, no more speeding, no more speed awareness courses.

Dcdad.
Id say thats frequently the approach to speed in general, they get money whether we go to the courses or take the endorsement
Old 16th May 2018, 04:54 PM   #33
jpf
Achieved official socks

Car: M4
Colour Combo: Austin Yellow/ full black leather

Quote:
Yes, so absolutely no use to society!
jpf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 05:47 PM   #34
Dcdad43

Quote:
Id say thats frequently the approach to speed in general, they get money whether we go to the courses or take the endorsement
There is a subtle but important difference. the police get a rake off from the cost of the speed awareness course, if you pay a fine it goes to HM treasury. It's the interests of the police to get people on speed awareness course as they get a direct rake off.

The money from fines goes to HM treasury into the general pot as it were, sure the police get some funding from central govt, HM treasury but no direct link between fines issued and cash back to plod, unlike the direct link between more speed awareness courses equals more cash for relevant police force.

Knowing that would make me think twice about a speed awareness course. In my experience 3 points made no difference to my insurance premium as far as I could see.

dcdad

Dcdad.
Old 16th May 2018, 06:35 PM   #35
Shezbo
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 E46 M3 Cabriolet
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf View Post
Yes, so absolutely no use to society!

Like I said, you DO actually learn something and that is worthwhile to society...
Shezbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 07:40 PM   #36
rsk21
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcdad43 View Post
There is a subtle but important difference. the police get a rake off from the cost of the speed awareness course, if you pay a fine it goes to HM treasury. It's the interests of the police to get people on speed awareness course as they get a direct rake off.

The money from fines goes to HM treasury into the general pot as it were, sure the police get some funding from central govt, HM treasury but no direct link between fines issued and cash back to plod, unlike the direct link between more speed awareness courses equals more cash for relevant police force.

Knowing that would make me think twice about a speed awareness course. In my experience 3 points made no difference to my insurance premium as far as I could see.

dcdad

Dcdad.

You’d rather pay 100 and take three points than pay 100 and get no points ?

Last edited by rsk21; 16th May 2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 16th May 2018, 08:55 PM   #37
Sp00ks
On the path

Car: E92 DCT M3 & Audi A4 Avant Sline 3.0TDI

Quote:
Youd rather pay 100 and take three points than pay 109 and get no points ?
For some people, myself included, time is money. Taking a day off work for this would cost me considerably more than the extra 9. Paying to be bored out of my head and patronised for 4 hours, no thanks. Points every time, unless as you previously mentioned I was close to a totting up ban.
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 09:07 PM   #38
rsk21
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
For some people, myself included, time is money. Taking a day off work for this would cost me considerably more than the extra 9. Paying to be bored out of my head and patronised for 4 hours, no thanks. Points every time, unless as you previously mentioned I was close to a totting up ban.
Apologies - the 9 was a typo.

Either way it's 100.

Everybody has their reasons but I just cannot understand why anybody would elect to take points which mean the next time you get caught you start with three rather than zero. Nothing to do with whether I think it's right, fair or the courses are boring (although the ones I have done were ok). They do them at weekends too.

Anyway each to their own.
Old 16th May 2018, 09:10 PM   #39
Dcdad43

Quote:
Youd rather pay 100 and take three points than pay 109 and get no points ?
The cost of the course varies, some areas were charging 200 back in 2015.

Yep, in cetain circumstances I'd take the 3 points and fine rather than help fund the speed awareness course gravy train.

The police would rather you take the awareness course even if it's not the best option for you, simply because its the best financial option for them.

dcdad.