The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E36 M3 (1991-1999) and E30 M3 (1986-1990)

Old 14th July 2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Albee
On the path

Car: 1996 E36 M3 Evo
Colour Combo: Estoril blue/Grey hide
Default E36 roof motor

Hi Guys!
Anyone had the experience of replacing the main roof motor on a convertible E36?
Just wondered if there was any advice out there?

Cheers in advance
AL
Albee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 14th July 2018, 08:08 PM   #2
technovert
On the path

Car: 1998 M3 Evo convertible
Colour Combo: Technoviolet

i was parting about with mine the other day. the unbolting seems pretty straightforwards, if you are talking about the up and down motor rather than the tensioning motor. It bolts in from inside the roof compartment and the arms attach there.

IIRC it should be pretty straight forwards to unbolt. there is an emergency release bowden cable on the motor this needs pulling and removing. its getting it set up after which is the trickier bit, but i bet there some instructions out there on tinterweb.

First order of business is to remove the tonneu cover. you will need to get into the boot and the roof box at the same time and you can't open them at the same time.

4 bolts and its off, mark the bolts up before you remove them so it roughly in the same place when you put it back on.!
technovert is offline   Reply With Quote