The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Member Rides

Old 30th March 2018, 12:58 PM   #61
RS Grant
On the path

Car: M3 Comp Pack
Colour Combo: Space Grey with Extended Red Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie3door View Post
Car looks great, mirror caps are a nice touch aren't they
Aye definitely, they are just small parts but really tie in well with the rest of the carbon on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Another vote for C4. Needs proper prep though. I'd remove the covers when you do it to make it easy. Mask around it. Do as Keith suggested.
Take them off again?! ...mine definitely didn't come off as easily as the ones in the link above did!! But the fit is snug, so it makes sense that it'll be far easier to apply the C4 with them removed.
RS Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 23rd April 2018, 02:48 PM   #62
RS Grant
On the path

Standby for a rather long update here, it'll be a bit wordy and I'll break it up with some pictures..

You may remember that I posted above about buying some carbon mirror caps and at the same time buying some M Performance Front Grilles as well because I wasn't sure if the ones fitted to the car were OE BMW parts or not. Well, I finally got round to changing them over and the good news is that the original grilles were BMW parts, the new ones obviously look newer so they got fitted and I'll give the others a clean up and either keep them as spares or sell them on.

No big differences really, the new ones on the left and the original on the right:

Untitled by Grant Farnan, on Flickr

After seeing one of the posts above by Jez showing his cleaned up and waxed Space Grey E92 M3, I felt like mine could use some professional help to bring it up to the best standard possible so I could then just add layers of protection on top of it as I went. I booked it in with a local guy who I have been following and have been impressed with his portfolio, even so, this was the first time I'd used him so was obviously a little apprehensive about leaving my P&J with him. I need not have worried though, he's done a cracking job and the finish is amazing. It's actually pretty hard to capture in photographs, but here are a couple after I collected the car last week.

This next thing came out of the blue; when browsing the forums one night, I noticed a post from someone asking for an M3 Competition Pack to use in an upcoming magazine article. So I sent an email off and waited to hear back, assuming that the person would be swamped with offers because, well, why wouldn't you want to see your car in a magazine?! ...anyway, assuming that I'd get the 'thanks but I've got something sorted' type reply and that they would just go for the closest/easiest option available, bearing in mind that I live an hour or so north of Edinburgh.

Anyway, I got a reply saying that because my car was that bit different to the norm and hadn't been played around with, that they'd really like to use it in their upcoming feature between a new F82 M4 Competition Pack and an E92 M3 Competition Pack. I couldn't believe it, to say I was excited would be a massive understatement!!

So I booked some accomodation near Preston for the overnight before meeting the BMW CAR magazine guys and some accomodation in the Lake District for the overnight after we were done.. cunningly turning it into a 'weekend away' for me and my girlfriend, which went down well; until she realised that I'd be leaving her in the hotel first thing on Saturday to go away and do car things for a few hours. Oops.

...and a wee teaser shot which I got sent from the BMW CAR guys:

All in all, it was a great wee break away and really enjoyed meeting the guys from the magazine. It was nice to talk to people who were just as enthusastic about my car/cars in general as I am, which is certainly getting rarer these days. Here was the final fill-up of the trip, three visits in three days and to be honest it was better on fuel than I had expected it to be, averaging ~23mpg over the trip.

On the way home, I stopped at Gleneagles Golf Club to recreate a photo I took almost exactly 5 years ago when I was out for a run in my dearly departed E46 M3:

All in all, the past couple of weeks or so have been brilliant. I've really enjoyed driving the M3 for an extended period and look forward to seeing the other photographs and write up/verdict when the magazine arrives; which should hopefully be done and dusted in time for this months issue... so keep your eyes out for it appearing in the shop.

Old 26th April 2018, 12:07 PM   #63
ian1811
A mere Chipper

Car: E92 M3

Car is lovely mate!
ian1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 12:11 PM   #64
stevef182
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2005 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

That's awesome. Car looks really nice.
stevef182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 12:52 PM   #65
Sit
Wearing official robes

Car: E46 M3 gone, E70 X5 gone, is it E90 time....

Stunning! It never stops fuelling my ‘M Fire’ lol!! Keep the updates coming bud, no purchase for me yet and away from Sun for 3 months so it’s on the back burner for a minute.

Si
Sit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2018, 07:48 AM   #66
DarrenR
A mere Chipper

Colour Combo: Alpine White / Carbon Black

Looks fantastic Grant

Great to have it in the magazine too.

I notice a couple of your pictures above look to be taken at kirriemuir, I was recently down there with my M3 heading up to Glen Clova
DarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2018, 08:34 AM   #67
stevef182
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2005 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

You're making me want to sell my E46 and buy an E92
stevef182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 11:59 AM   #68
RS Grant
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1811 View Post
Car is lovely mate!
Thanks Ian, where abouts are you in Scotland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit View Post
Stunning! It never stops fuelling my ‘M Fire’ lol!! Keep the updates coming bud, no purchase for me yet and away from Sun for 3 months so it’s on the back burner for a minute.

Si
Haha, glad I can keep the fire burning Si..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenR View Post
Looks fantastic Grant

Great to have it in the magazine too.

I notice a couple of your pictures above look to be taken at kirriemuir, I was recently down there with my M3 heading up to Glen Clova
Cheers Darren, absolutely jigging that it made the magazine.

Yep, the countryside around Kirrie is a lovely area.. only about 20-30 minutes away from me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef182 View Post
That's awesome. Car looks really nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef182 View Post
You're making me want to sell my E46 and buy an E92
Thanks Steve, tough call to make.. they're very similar in some ways, but they're also quite different in others too.
Old 18th June 2018, 12:01 PM   #69
RS Grant
On the path

Been a bit of a delay updating, didn't want to post the feature up while the magazine was sitting in the shops for obvious reasons!!

I had also asked to get the actual images from the magazine feature, however they've not appeared. They may have been sent on a USB along with the couple of copies of the magazine which I got and some little b*stard at Royal Mail may have decided to liberate the USB from the envelope before they arrived with me, or the small drag/hole could be innocent and have happened when it was put into the letterbox; who knows, but I do now regret not taking many/any decent shots of the cars myself during the day though.

Untitled by Grant F, on Flickr

Anyway, I've scanned the feature below...

Feature Page 1 by Grant F, on Flickr
Feature Page 2 by Grant F, on Flickr
Feature Page 3 by Grant F, on Flickr
Feature Page 4 by Grant F, on Flickr
Feature Page 5 by Grant F, on Flickr

Really well written feature which mirrors my feelings and opinions of the cars perfectly.

There's no denying that the F8* tech, brakes, real-world performance are all way ahead of the E9* cars; but they just feel a bit like a (very) fast BMW 3/4-series to me. As I've said many times, a big reason I went for my E92 was 'that' engine which is the USP/focal piece of the car, a V8 spinning to 8000+rpm is quite something. In comparison the engine in the F8* cars sound crap in my opinion (actually sounding broken/like your exhaust has been stolen on cold start) and you can put any exhaust you want on them and it doesn't change that fact either... but add an exhaust to an E9* car and it only enhances the experience and occasion of that V8 further.

In other news, there's been a lot of chat recently about E9* cars needing recalls for cables and being a later built car; I thought that my car had managed to swerve these... but unfortunately/fortunately it's one of the cars which requires the second recall about the blower/heater wire. So it's booked into the local dealership to have that work done at the start of next month.

The car was also subject to vandalism the other night:

The local birds have clearly taken a dislike to something which I have said or done, this was the result of a single night of bombing.

Apart from that, the car has done very little apart from the odd drive out to stretch its legs and put a smile on my face!! Over the past couple of weeks I've been thinking about whether I should switch the car out for a 1M, which is a car I've coveted heavily since it's launch... but unsure whether I could let the E92 go, given it's very unlikely that I'd find another one with a good spec and manual gearbox if I decided that (looks aside) the 1M wasn't quite as special as the M3.

At the same time, I have been researching and deciding on which way to go on some uprated front brakes for the M3 because the standard stuff isn't really up to the job and while I don't want to track the car or drive it crazy hard, I don't want to ruin the standard set up... plus I'm a bit of a tart and big multi-pot calipers will look much nicer tucked in behind the wheels!
Old 18th June 2018, 12:33 PM   #70
Keith
Achieved official socks

Car: S65B40
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Edition. High on spec & low on miles.

Thanks you for uploading Grant - what a brilliant article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Grant View Post
Really well written feature which mirrors my feelings and opinions of the cars perfectly.

There's no denying that the F8* tech, brakes, real-world performance are all way ahead of the E9* cars; but they just feel a bit like a (very) fast BMW 3/4-series to me. As I've said many times, a big reason I went for my E92 was 'that' engine which is the USP/focal piece of the car, a V8 spinning to 8000+rpm is quite something. In comparison the engine in the F8* cars sound crap in my opinion (actually sounding broken/like your exhaust has been stolen on cold start) and you can put any exhaust you want on them and it doesn't change that fact either... but add an exhaust to an E9* car and it only enhances the experience and occasion of that V8 further.
I agree entirely with the writer and your feelings too.

"You'll experience one of the greatest automotive crescendos around"

This is why I get such a hard-on for my E92 M3 still. I have loved BMW N/A ///M engines since my first experience of an S50 in my Z3 M Coupe. Many M3s later, via S54s and S65s, I still get such a buzz from winding them up, and it's why I struggle to get excited about much else. Peak figures and numbers mean nothing to me if the thrill and emotional connection doesn't deliver too.

I too am a huge fan of the 1M (one of the best looking cars BMW have ever made IMO), but I also really dislike the N54 after owning a 335i with one at its heart. The character wasn't there, and it left me cold. So your dilemma on whether to replace the M3 for one is a tricky one.

Great update to the journal as usual mate.
Keith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 12:55 PM   #71
kevM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E92 M3 & 2009 123d coupe
Colour Combo: Sparkling Graphite ,Black leather

yes im the same with the f8* gen cars, nice cars dont get me wrong but my f80 felt like a fast 5 series to me and i didnt feel connected to the car, it lasted 3 months, I sold it then went back to a 92! and im happy with my current one.
kevM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 09:49 AM   #72
ian1811
A mere Chipper

[QUOTE=RS Grant;2590222]Thanks Ian, where abouts are you in Scotland?

I'm in Falkirk.
ian1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 11:32 AM   #73
RS Grant
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Thanks you for uploading Grant - what a brilliant article.

I agree entirely with the writer and your feelings too.

"You'll experience one of the greatest automotive crescendos around"

This is why I get such a hard-on for my E92 M3 still. I have loved BMW N/A ///M engines since my first experience of an S50 in my Z3 M Coupe. Many M3s later, via S54s and S65s, I still get such a buzz from winding them up, and it's why I struggle to get excited about much else. Peak figures and numbers mean nothing to me if the thrill and emotional connection doesn't deliver too.

I too am a huge fan of the 1M (one of the best looking cars BMW have ever made IMO), but I also really dislike the N54 after owning a 335i with one at its heart. The character wasn't there, and it left me cold. So your dilemma on whether to replace the M3 for one is a tricky one.

Great update to the journal as usual mate.
Cheers Keith.. I think that I've satisfied myself that a switch to a 1M isn't really a good idea at the moment; I've not had my car long and like yourself I had a 335i (although N55-powered) which I couldn't get excited about at all, despite having lots of nice parts fitted. However I absolutely love the bonkers looks of the 1M, they have always appealed to me and that won't change.

I'm also a huge fan of the high revving M-engines, only had an E46M and my E92M but both have massively, massively impressed me. My mum has an LCI F80 and there's no denying it's quicker than the older cars, but it doesn't excite me and all the mid range/synthesized sound/pops/farts in the world won't change that.

I have also been thinking about whether looking for another E46M is a good idea, but if I'm honest, I don't think there would be enough difference to my E92M to justify it... and it may actually taint my (possibly rose tinted!) E46M memories, which I don't really want to run the risk of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevM3 View Post
yes im the same with the f8* gen cars, nice cars dont get me wrong but my f80 felt like a fast 5 series to me and i didnt feel connected to the car, it lasted 3 months, I sold it then went back to a 92! and im happy with my current one.
Yeah definitely on the same page with that.. all depends what you want from a car and the type of use/mileage that you're going to pump into it. If I was doing 15-20k a year then I'd definitely want more economy/range than the E92 manages, same as if I encountered traffic issues on a regular basis I'd be after a DCT rather than a manual. But as I'll only be using it at evenings/weekends and doing ~5k a year in this car over the nicer 6 months of the year, neither of those things are a big concern for me and I'm willing to pay to play.

[QUOTE=ian1811;2590812]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Grant View Post
Thanks Ian, where abouts are you in Scotland?

I'm in Falkirk.
Cool, I'll maybe see you up at Knockhill sometime.. or if the Scottish meet talked about recently gets off the ground.
Old 20th June 2018, 12:23 PM   #74
davie3door
Achieved official socks

Car: F10 M5 & E92 M3 Jet Black & F10 535 d

Great article Grant, car looks well too, as mentioned, agree with a lot of your comments on the e92, its a great car.
davie3door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 12:04 PM   #75
RS Grant
On the path

I have said on here before that I planned to increase the volume of the exhaust on my car at some point because I thought that it was really quiet (cold start aside) as standard. After being unable to hear an aftermarket system on an E92 in person, I couldn't handle the sound of silence anymore so I got a local company to split the backbox and carry out the common/popular '2-pipe mod' by wrapping the two larger perforated exhaust pipes inside the backbox.

Pictures borrowed from PCW Exhaust Mods (Click Here) who I would have used because he's done 000's of these now and is very good at his job, but a combination of distance and my impatience meant it ended up going somewhere local instead... although they used exactly the same method and materials that Paul does.

Here is a clip of my car at Cold Idle, dropping into Normal Idle and then when the oil had warmed up sufficiently, a few static throttle blips:

Click Here

Here is a clip of my car with a little Full Throttle, then some Part Throttle bumbling around...apologies for the sound of GoPro mount shaking at times but it was on as tight as I could manage:

Click Here

I've got to say that from inside, you don't get any of the 'rip' that you hear in the exterior videos. It's clearly more noticeable inside, but it's a deep bassy burble that you hear instead... I'm not sure if you will pick up on it with an interior video, which is why there isn't one here, but when I get a chance then I may give it a whirl and see.

Old 15th July 2018, 07:13 AM   #76
Keith
Achieved official socks

Car: S65B40
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Edition. High on spec & low on miles.

Glad you got the backbox mod done. Best thing you can do on these, releases the racy V8 chorus and completely elevates the sensory emotions when driving. Can’t put a price on that. I honestly think the 2-pipe mod sounds better than a lot of aftermarket exhausts too. Perfect
Keith is online now   Reply With Quote