The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Track-days

Old 6th June 2018, 11:02 AM   #1
dsme
Wearing official robes

Car: Audi RS3 8V | Sold: E46 M3 | E92 M3
Default E92 m3 owners

Hi,

If you were to go back to the point before you bought your e92 having now done track days, would you have bought a different car and why?

What's your biggest competition/what do you have most fun with on track? (I appreciate lots of different factors)

I'm at the stage where I'm ready to pull the trigger on my second e92 m3 but feel like I might be making a mistake because of the weight and might be better suited buying something lighter. Intentions are still use the car on the road and at the moment I don't see it being used for one purpose. Intentions of driving all circuits throughout the UK, spa and additionally nurburgring which is probably the tracks most people on here go to.

Last edited by dsme; 6th June 2018 at 11:13 AM.
dsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 6th June 2018, 03:07 PM   #2
ChrisRX
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3

I dread to think how much fuel that V8 would go through on track. Must be pretty rank. I can easily clear a tank in 2hrs in my E46.
ChrisRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 03:48 PM   #3
Pdelamare
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3, Mercedes E63 5.5, Caterham Levante, Smart Prime

I would have just have waited and bought a Schirmer car.

If I were doing it again, I’d get an F8x and take it to Tom. I’m a believer after having a couple of rides in the Apex M3 RingTaxi.

An M4 is lighter, way more torque, and will be a faster car. Maybe have both lol.
Pdelamare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 06:35 PM   #4
dsme
Wearing official robes

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdelamare View Post
I would have just have waited and bought a Schirmer car.

If I were doing it again, I’d get an F8x and take it to Tom. I’m a believer after having a couple of rides in the Apex M3 RingTaxi.

An M4 is lighter, way more torque, and will be a faster car. Maybe have both lol.
Thanks for reply. Unfortunately f8x is out of the question as they are worth too much to have an incident in track. I love the e92 just unsure if I'll get fed up with it on track and I should just but a jcw or Megane or something else. Can't be bothered with rust on E36 and E46.
Old 10th June 2018, 07:14 PM   #5
TheShane
On the path

Car: 2005 E46 M3 / 2011 E92 M3

What about an older Cayman or an Exige? Can be had for reasonable money and considerable lighter than an e92. Saying that, I track an E46 and couldn't think of anything else (besides a GT3) i'd rather have.. Clip from yesterdays fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMB7yKCbfWA
TheShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 03:20 PM   #6
Mr Reeves
Wearing official robes

Car: E90 M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Silverstone II/Black Novillo

The great thing about the E92 is that they are quite popular track cars and they were made in abundance. Consequently there are so many aftermarket parts available to maximise performance on track. Many of them very high quality.

The thing about the E92 is that if you want similar levels of refinement/usability but more performance/lighter weight then you are looking at cars that are considerably more expensive.

You could buy a fairly good used example for around £20-£22k then spend £15k doing it up and you've got something that's every bit as fast and as usable as a 997 GT3.
Mr Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 06:16 PM   #7
dsme
Wearing official robes

Thanks for input so far folks. Anyone came across on m235i on track? My logic: these cars are significantly cheaper to run than an e92 and no one can say that e92s don't cost a bomb to run because they do. Arguments that they are too soft and roll too much don't make sense because if you are going to use an m3 as a track car you will ultimately end up changing the suspension too which would rectify the roll experience from a m235i? Surely it is a strong contender? 400bhp+ and much lighter than the e92? Or am I missing something? I'm all ears. Don't want to turn this into a comparison thread but just want a more experienced opinion

Last edited by dsme; 13th June 2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 14th June 2018, 11:40 AM   #8
robmarrs
Wearing official underwear

Car: BMW M3 e46 SMG Coupe - Track Car
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/ Stripped out

Caterham, no depreciation, easy/cheaper to fix, superfast on most circuits.

Downside is crap in wet weather!
robmarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 11:47 AM   #9
robmarrs
Wearing official underwear

Car: BMW M3 e46 SMG Coupe - Track Car
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/ Stripped out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShane View Post
Looking good, can I ask how you get the speed and track position on your video?

Wouldn't mind comparing car notes sometime as we are both in Bracknell!
robmarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 12:03 PM   #10
dsme
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmarrs View Post
Caterham, no depreciation, easy/cheaper to fix, superfast on most circuits.

Downside is crap in wet weather!
Can't use a Caterham day to day/can't drive to track
Old 14th June 2018, 12:59 PM   #11
ADL
Achieved official socks

Car: 2005 E46 M3 manual coupe & 1990 golf GTi 16v & 2014 golf R dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsme View Post
Thanks for input so far folks. Anyone came across on m235i on track? My logic: these cars are significantly cheaper to run than an e92 and no one can say that e92s don't cost a bomb to run because they do. Arguments that they are too soft and roll too much don't make sense because if you are going to use an m3 as a track car you will ultimately end up changing the suspension too which would rectify the roll experience from a m235i? Surely it is a strong contender? 400bhp+ and much lighter than the e92? Or am I missing something? I'm all ears. Don't want to turn this into a comparison thread but just want a more experienced opinion
Having never owned either car or been on track I am in a perfect position to comment on this (‘‘tis the cutters way) depends what you want from the car id imagine a tuned m235i would £ for £ be faster but is that whats Important to you! Would you be having more fun in the e92!?
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Jimboe92M3
On the path

Car: 2008 M3 DCT
Colour Combo: Alpine white/black rims,mirrors,grills/black leather/carbon trim

After every ring trip I've toyed with the idea of turning my E92 into a track car but I've decided it's too nice of a road car to do it. If I were to do it I'd get one with as few options as poss and a manual and completely strip it, cage it, and spend some proper money on brakes and suspension (having saved a fair few quid buying a low spec'd manual).
As someone else pointed out, the schirmer cars are unreal so if you could go for a spec anything like that you'd have a wicked track car! But having said that, after being in the F8X ring taxi that was completely standard apart form front pads, I'd want one of them all day long!!!
Another wicked option would be a Litchfield tinkered M235i. 415bhp and a fairly light little car. With some good suspension and roll bars they can be brilliant!
Jimboe92M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 07:44 PM   #13
HookdexM3
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3
Colour Combo: Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRX View Post
I dread to think how much fuel that V8 would go through on track. Must be pretty rank. I can easily clear a tank in 2hrs in my E46.
I can empty mine in about 35 minutes
HookdexM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2018, 07:52 AM   #14
TheShane
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmarrs View Post
Looking good, can I ask how you get the speed and track position on your video?

Wouldn't mind comparing car notes sometime as we are both in Bracknell!

Sure, it's actually filmed from a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 - which has inbuilt GPS and the editing software allows you to overlay lots of data. I rate it much higher than any GoPro I've had. Although if you do go down that route, get a few extra batteries, as with GPS it's a big drain on the battery. I usually get through 2 batteries on a track day, with no filming of the first 2/3 sessions.
Old 16th June 2018, 07:19 PM   #15
MarkRF
Achieved official socks

Car: Monte Blue 92

Quote:
Sure, it's actually filmed from a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 - which has inbuilt GPS and the editing software allows you to overlay lots of data. I rate it much higher than any GoPro I've had. Although if you do go down that route, get a few extra batteries, as with GPS it's a big drain on the battery. I usually get through 2 batteries on a track day, with no filming of the first 2/3 sessions.
Seconded, I'm using the same, very good kit. I run a chest heart rate monitor and OBD2 adapter for engine sensory feedback (intake, coolant temp, throttle position)
MarkRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 08:14 AM   #16
TheShane
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRF View Post
Seconded, I'm using the same, very good kit. I run a chest heart rate monitor and OBD2 adapter for engine sensory feedback (intake, coolant temp, throttle position)
Can you share your OBD2 adapter? Was looking for one not so long ago?

How do you do about including that data in your vids - is it supported on the Virb Edit app?
Old 17th June 2018, 10:44 AM   #17
GWO M3
On the path

Car: 1997 BMW M3 EVO

Depends how fast you want to go, how much you want to spend buying it and how much you want to spend on running costs I think.

I bought a hi spec E36/S54 race car earlier this year. Love it. Simple car and less weight means less fuel/tyres/brakes.

How quick do you want to go is the question. My car is easy 1:18 Donny, 2.25 Silverstone GP on worn out AR1s. That should be sub 2:50 at Spa

The down side of an E36 is they dont look "flash", which suits me down to the ground. Always funny blasting past some latest spec shiny gin palace in a 20 year old motor

Not sure I understand the rust comment on E36/46. Nearly all the panel work will end up as Carbon
GWO M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 12:49 PM   #18
MarkRF
Achieved official socks

Car: Monte Blue 92

Quote:
Can you share your OBD2 adapter? Was looking for one not so long ago?

How do you do about including that data in your vids - is it supported on the Virb Edit app?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, the camera records the data and then you can select what you want to overlay in the playback via the VIRB software
MarkRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 02:23 PM   #19
TheShane
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRF View Post
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, the camera records the data and then you can select what you want to overlay in the playback via the VIRB software
Great stuff, thanks. Just to confirm are you using the Wifi version or BT?

Have you got any footage with the data over laid?
Old 18th June 2018, 03:32 PM   #20
mikeh
Achieved official socks

Car: Plastic covered bath tub
Colour Combo: Mineral White / Black

My E92 just had Intrax, BBK, Akra and a remap and it was as fast as any of the the stripped out E46s I came across, all while being super comfortable on the road.

I don't think you can get that level of performance to comfort ratio anywhere else. That said, it was heavy and did go through tyres and brakes like there's no tomorrow.

I change to an Elise and the driving experience is a hundred times better. It's just another level of fun and involvement.
mikeh is offline   Reply With Quote