The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Faults, Fixes and Solutions

Old 24th January 2018, 02:59 PM   #1
sfh3l
A mere Chipper

Car: '94 M3 3.0, '95 318is, '90 Z1. '72 CSL, '72 911 T, '34 Austin 7, '25 Rolls 20
Default ABS Fault Code help please

OK, so I've now had the ABS fault codes read on my '94 S50 M3 and we have:

"Fault found in power supply of all solenoid valves
Operation of front left inlet valve faulty
Operation of front outlet valve faulty"

To me, that sounds like the Accumulator Pump and valve block that is at fault, but I was hoping the accumulated wisdom on here could point me in the right direction as to where to start with solutions please?

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.
sfh3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 29th January 2018, 09:01 PM   #2
sfh3l
A mere Chipper

Car: '94 M3 3.0, '95 318is, '90 Z1. '72 CSL, '72 911 T, '34 Austin 7, '25 Rolls 20

Bumping this back up to the top in the hope someone has some pointers please.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th January 2018, 09:13 PM   #3
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

Multiple solenoids going bad at once seems weird
Have you looked at live data
Check relays and contacts
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 10:00 AM   #4
sfh3l
A mere Chipper

Thanks for your help on this. I don't have the facility to look at live data - just got the fault codes read by an indy with the right kit.

I have subbed in the three relevant relays from my '95 318is, on which there are no faults and its ABS works fine. These make no difference to the M3. The only significant difference between the two systems is the 'is doesn't have the Brake Pedal Displacement Sensor mounted on the servo. I know this part can fail and cause errors for the M3's ABS, but I'd be surprised if it was so many?

The car has stood outside in all weathers for over 4 years and that is what makes me suspect that the solenoids might have seized in the valve block?

I have had a poke about and had a look at the ABS main plug (above the hydro unit itself) and this doesn't look too bad actually - I had expected corroded pins and crusty contacts, but they are all perfectly good really.

All the fuses are good and the relays seem to check out (they all work fine when put into the 318is relay board), so I'm kind of running out of other things to suspect.
Old 15th February 2018, 02:53 PM   #5
BBA Reman
A mere Chipper

Car: 2004 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfh3l View Post
Thanks for your help on this. I don't have the facility to look at live data - just got the fault codes read by an indy with the right kit.

I have subbed in the three relevant relays from my '95 318is, on which there are no faults and its ABS works fine. These make no difference to the M3. The only significant difference between the two systems is the 'is doesn't have the Brake Pedal Displacement Sensor mounted on the servo. I know this part can fail and cause errors for the M3's ABS, but I'd be surprised if it was so many?

The car has stood outside in all weathers for over 4 years and that is what makes me suspect that the solenoids might have seized in the valve block?

I have had a poke about and had a look at the ABS main plug (above the hydro unit itself) and this doesn't look too bad actually - I had expected corroded pins and crusty contacts, but they are all perfectly good really.

All the fuses are good and the relays seem to check out (they all work fine when put into the 318is relay board), so I'm kind of running out of other things to suspect.
Give us a call on 01634 687 222, we can almost CERTAINLY help with this. It is likely to either be a pump fault, ECU fault or like you say, solenoid fault. In any case we will be able to diagnose the issue and offer you a cost effective solution. Many thanks. Paul.
BBA Reman is offline   Reply With Quote