The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Faults, Fixes and Solutions

Old 18th February 2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Richard6
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 Coupe
Default ABS / DSC warning lights.

Hi, Following from my earlier post I have read the codes from a friends code reader while getting to the bottom of the INPA issues.

I plugged in the code reader and cleared all the stored codes, however one code remains and won't clear - 5DF5.

While connected, the live data shows all the wheels reading the same mph, the brake pressures were equal and went up equally to around the nineties with a firm press of the pedal.

The only thing that I couldn't get to verify in the tests was the operation of the DSC button >3 secs.

Google search brings up a multitude of stuff regarding parting with 1000+ at the stealer for a unit and coding which doesn't always fix.

Spend hundreds on a remanufactured unit and find the problem still exists.

Buying an eBay replacement for 30 quid and recode, with mixed stories of success.

Butchering the unit with a dremel and attacking fry / cold solfer joints with the soldering iron.

A good batter with a hammer

Claims that wheel sensors still are the problem.

Has anyone any experience on this fault?

I have noticed a few threads appear here recently with abs DSC issues.

Nearly forgot, the ABS still seems to be working OK

Thanks in advance, Richard.
Richard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 18th February 2018, 08:03 PM   #2
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46CoupeM3 View Post
Did you swap cables with aforementioned loan equipment to see if your cable or install at fault?
Reasonably sure I've linked this in one of your earlier posts / threads
Potentially still this
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 08:07 PM   #3
Richard6
Achieved official socks

E46CoupeM3, the equipment I have borrowed is a Foxwell Automaster that has the obd plug and an rs232 type connector at the hand terminal and it reads everything OK.

I replaced the final stage resistor and checked the obd socket pins for continuity and they were OK.

So its either the cable or software install, not had time or weather to look further into it as my laptop battery gone so needs extended power leads out to car when dry.

Just realised my laptop might have same rs232 type socket. Would that stuff up the driver assignment connecting it though?

Last edited by Richard6; 18th February 2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 18th February 2018, 08:15 PM   #4
Richard6
Achieved official socks

I'm considering deleting everything out and doing a re-install again as I would like to get it sorted out.

Do you think that I should delete the drivers first and redo them or do it all? I was considering the offer I got on my other thread to download the teamviewer and let someone with more knowledge fix it quickly.
Old 18th February 2018, 08:17 PM   #5
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

I think it is the cable / driver install and as said previously. But you haven't tried half the stuff Ive suggested around that in the past so maybe team viewer is the low effort answer
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 04:50 PM   #6
BBA Reman
A mere Chipper

Car: 2004 BMW M3

Hi there,

5DF5 is an ABS ECU electronics based issue, we see them all the time at BBA-Reman. Normally we can repair them without the need for re-coding depending on what microchips/components are required. In any case you would be contacted prior to going ahead to let you know.

The price for the repair is 159+VAT and carriage and the unit would then be covered by our lifetime guarantee. If the unit is not faulty, we will be able to tell straightaway and the cost for testing is just 35+VAT. You will then know for sure.

Give us a call on 01364687222 - we would love to help!

BBA Reman is offline   Reply With Quote