The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Other BMWs and other marques > 1M and M2

Old 7th April 2018, 09:02 PM   #1
m2kenny
A mere Chipper

Car: M2, LBB, MPE, BM3 Tune
Colour Combo: LBB
Thumbs up Bootmod3

Hi All,

I'm a long term lurker, but I've had my M2 since February. I've been enjoying the car since getting the RIS done, but now that there's a few more miles on the clock I had the urge to seek out a bit more power.

I haven't gone for anything silly, or irreversible, but after a bit of research on the options, I settled for a Bootmod3 flash. I liked the idea of being able to return to stock at any point and the ability to do this myself without removing the DME, or adding to the DME flash counter sealed the deal.

The process of flashing the DME could not be simpler, the BM3 software is by far the best I've seen. The dash and iDrive system goes a bit crazy with errors and warnings during the update, which was expected having read up and watched every YouTube video on the subject, but the update process takes care of everything before it completes. The first flash takes around 5 mins due to unlocking the DME before flashing the update, subsequent flashes take less than 1 min. The fact that BM3 is cloud based means updates can be pushed without going through any process and the ability to flash offline is brilliant using a Mac, PC, Android or iPhone. The phone options require either a PC or Mac to be connected via a ESYS cable, or there is a £230'ish optional box that can do away with the need for a laptop.

As I have no bolt on mods (yet) other than the MPE I went for the Stage 1 98 RON map, as recommended. The difference is night and day I love it!

I also did the GTS DCT flash (which is free) and very different from the stock DCT software. The jury is still out as to whether it will remain, but it's easy enough to flash back to stock if I decide against it.

In summary, for the cost of a BM3 licence approximately £430 and a £12 ESYS cable it's one of the best upgrades I've done to any car.

Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted, but I didn't see many posts for BM3 when I used the search function
m2kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 7th April 2018, 09:13 PM   #2
M Fifty
Achieved official socks

Car: 2017 M2, 2002 330ci, 2003 M3 (deceased)

I’d be surprised if it didn’t show up if BMW did go looking - even if you reverted it to stock.

Also: my manual says I should be using ‘posh petrol’ as a matter of course, so what’s with the 98 RON thing?
M Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 09:19 PM   #3
m2kenny
A mere Chipper

I tend to agree, if BMW REALLY feel the need to look they will find something, but I'm relying on the usual level of incompetence from the local dealership, who on a good day can just about figure out how to open the bonnet!

98 RON is "posh petrol", 95 is the cooking stuff here in the UK.
Old 7th April 2018, 09:26 PM   #4
M Fifty
Achieved official socks

Car: 2017 M2, 2002 330ci, 2003 M3 (deceased)

Yep. I know. Iím in the UK.

Iím still curious as to how mapping for the fuel itís already meant to be using helps. Hence the question.
M Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 09:32 PM   #5
m2kenny
A mere Chipper

Apologies, understood.

They have maps available for other regions that have to suffer 3rd world fuel, such as some states in the US. Hence, the 98 RON Stage 1 map was the appropriate choice for my car. The map goes some way to making use of what BMW left on the table when balancing the performance versus warranty issue...or more likely, to avoid stepping on the toes of the other models available at the time, or still to come.
Old 16th April 2018, 03:06 PM   #6
DoZZa
Achieved official socks

Car: F87 | M2 DCT | LBB

BM3 is excellent. Currently running 98 RON Stage 1 map on my car. Much different from standard.

Also running the GTS DCT software, I like it!

Was using a DINAN Sport before, which was a crude way of adding power, but it did make a difference too. But not as much as the BM3 does.

Can highly recommend the BM3. Not just for the power increase, but the exhaust note is now noticeably louder. Burbles are more pronounced. And the fact that you can swap between maps is ideal too.
DoZZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 05:26 PM   #7
bbvette69
A mere Chipper

Car: 2018 M2 LBB

This or JB4? Which is best
bbvette69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 07:49 PM   #8
Wrench
A mere Chipper

Car: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbvette69 View Post
This or JB4? Which is best
JB4 is a piggyback which stacks on top on the ecu (dme) so basically a Tuning box. Bootmod3 is a proper ecu flash tune and tuning platform which far more superior and advanced, it can also customised / tuned to suit your car and needs

Last edited by Wrench; 16th April 2018 at 07:52 PM.
Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote