The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Faults, Fixes and Solutions

Old 12th August 2018, 07:23 PM   #1
DMC
A mere Chipper

Car: E92 M3, E46 330D Sport
Default Rear Brake Squeak + Smoke!

Just after coming back home in my E92 after giving it a wash etc and noticed when I got back there was very apparent squeak coming from the back drivers side brake area, and some smoke! But not glowing red as I had only done a couple of mile around town whenever it occurred

Im guessing it is a brake caliper, but the car seems to move freely whenever its pushed?

Any ideas welcomed, thanks
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 14th August 2018, 07:50 PM   #2
DMC
A mere Chipper

Car: E92 M3, E46 330D Sport

Spent some time this evening cleaning cleaning the caliper and carrier down, the boot for piston looks fine and the piston doesn't really seem to have much corrosion on it (hadn't the correct tool to put it back in as I understand they don't wind back) so couldn't inspect fully but cleaned up the sliders and re-greased them.

Thought it was sorted when all went back together as the wheel was turning freely (was abit stiff before to turn)

Took it out for a spin but that side still seems warmer, and as my infrared thermometer confirmed the disc was still warmer on that side.

Before ordering a new caliper, is there any way i can inspect the handbrake to ensure its not sticking on this side to rule it out?
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote