The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 17th June 2017, 03:26 PM   #101
boba fett
Achieved official socks

Car: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris86 View Post
Fixed that for you. Whats ebay got to do with it? Is that where you do most of your dreaming?

boba fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 19th June 2017, 03:47 PM   #102
Spoons86
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2008 e92 M3
Colour Combo: Silerstone II Black

Great review of a great car, I've owned mine for a year now and came form a 46 also,. Love it the noise, the looks, the attention it gets, the way it drives... I won't go on.,
Spoons86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 07:17 PM   #103
CrudeOil
On the path

Car: 2012 M3 Competition Pack DCT, Full Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust, Evolve Remap, GTS DCT, Brembo BBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba fett View Post
Well many ask is it worth changing up from an E46 M3 to the V8 Blah Blah, so I thought I would jot down what I think of the M3 V8 warts and all.

Its supposed to be the best allrounder, so lets see...

Looks:
For a number of years I always thought the V8 looked to top heavy and a little cumbersome, but over the years, like the 46 did its grown on me. I feel the V8 does not picture well and in the metal it really is a looker and has presence. Now every time I see one it turns my head and I think what a pretty car. Do I like it better than the 46 Hmmmm Ill take either.

Performance:
I feel it should be faster, you can push buttons and things make it seem faster (you just don't have to push the pedal so far) but Ive reached a point where I think do you know what, its Ok. You have to ring it's neck out but when you do it makes you tingle, it gets there in the end and working the engine is great fun.

The Engine:
The real reason you would buy this car. Its a Gem, nearly 9k in a V8 and its just keeps pulling. The noise is up there with the best. I have had the pipe mod done, and out of the many many cars I have had its in the top 3. It is very addictive and sounds as good as any Lambo, you can tell its Dad is the V10.

Handling:
Whats not to like about a 50/50 rear wheel drive NA V8 with a great chassis. (I know I have the Vert but it feels no different on the road, but no doubt will on the track when going hell for leather) Its great fun, dives in nicely with no under-steer and when the back steps out is so controllable and almost to easy to power slide.

Kit:
Mines just about got everything, most you wont use as usual, internet /TV/DVD this and media that apart from maybe a toilet, they have all you need really.

Gearbox:
I have drove a few manuals, and its Ok, it was my first choice, however, its still reminiscent of the E46 and the gearing could be better, but they have moved on. I am a manual fan, but the DCT is just so right for this car and engine. I have never had an auto give you a surge when it changes gear. My E93 DCT pulls ahead on my mates E92 manual and this is down to the box. Where the SMG for me was so wrong, this is so right. lightening, brutal, blips, fun and super smooth when you want it to be. Its a very good box indeed.

Practical:
Who cares, you can get 4 in it and some shopping.

Costs:
18 mpg as a rule, some get more, some get less, but if you like your M, expect the aforementioned, but every car has an Achilles heel. Service, its every 2 years, but I do mine yearly (old habits die hard) though it has 8 plugs and 9 litres of oil, so its not cheap from the off. No adjusting this / guids that, eveything else is pretty much normal BM Tax.

What goes wrong:
Not a lot really. Actuators which are well documented, and some cases of rod bearings on high milers, but you can do preventative maintenance on these items if that's your thing. Late cars can still be under warranty so just enjoy it.

What do others think.
I have not had a single negative vibe. Most give me the thumbs up, and people come over and want to talk about the car (and the colour) its a cool car, and among-st all the M badges on diesels and 4 pot petrols, people know the real thing really.

Did I mention the noise ? oh yes I have already

Round up:
I really like this car, so does my wife, so does my mates, I like driving it, I love the noise it makes, its a driver involving machine, you have to try with it and wind her up and I have not driven my Porsche much because of it. Its such an event with the top dropped, today I started to get sunburn in it so had to stop off for some lotion Then when I'm done I get the flies off the front, raise the roof on the key, and I always look back and think that's a looker, and I bought the right car. Would I rather a lovely sorted 46. Nope !!

Good review mate. Same thoughts as me when I got mine. If you get test pipes and a remap then it will give the car that extra sparkle where sometimes it feels a bit flat. The performance difference isn't night and day but the extra 10% in power/torque gives it a zest that it's lacking when stock. That's what I feel after putting a full akrapovic system on with a remap and limiter raised to 8.5k
CrudeOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 03:14 PM   #104
Baptist
On the path

Car: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba fett View Post
Well many ask is it worth changing up from an E46 M3 to the V8 Blah Blah, so I thought I would jot down what I think of the M3 V8 warts and all.

Its supposed to be the best allrounder, so lets see...

Looks:
For a number of years I always thought the V8 looked to top heavy and a little cumbersome, but over the years, like the 46 did its grown on me. I feel the V8 does not picture well and in the metal it really is a looker and has presence. Now every time I see one it turns my head and I think what a pretty car. Do I like it better than the 46 Hmmmm Ill take either.

Performance:
I feel it should be faster, you can push buttons and things make it seem faster (you just don't have to push the pedal so far) but Ive reached a point where I think do you know what, its Ok. You have to ring it's neck out but when you do it makes you tingle, it gets there in the end and working the engine is great fun.

The Engine:
The real reason you would buy this car. Its a Gem, nearly 9k in a V8 and its just keeps pulling. The noise is up there with the best. I have had the pipe mod done, and out of the many many cars I have had its in the top 3. It is very addictive and sounds as good as any Lambo, you can tell its Dad is the V10.

Handling:
Whats not to like about a 50/50 rear wheel drive NA V8 with a great chassis. (I know I have the Vert but it feels no different on the road, but no doubt will on the track when going hell for leather) Its great fun, dives in nicely with no under-steer and when the back steps out is so controllable and almost to easy to power slide.

Kit:
Mines just about got everything, most you wont use as usual, internet /TV/DVD this and media that apart from maybe a toilet, they have all you need really.

Gearbox:
I have drove a few manuals, and its Ok, it was my first choice, however, its still reminiscent of the E46 and the gearing could be better, but they have moved on. I am a manual fan, but the DCT is just so right for this car and engine. I have never had an auto give you a surge when it changes gear. My E93 DCT pulls ahead on my mates E92 manual and this is down to the box. Where the SMG for me was so wrong, this is so right. lightening, brutal, blips, fun and super smooth when you want it to be. Its a very good box indeed.

Practical:
Who cares, you can get 4 in it and some shopping.

Costs:
18 mpg as a rule, some get more, some get less, but if you like your M, expect the aforementioned, but every car has an Achilles heel. Service, its every 2 years, but I do mine yearly (old habits die hard) though it has 8 plugs and 9 litres of oil, so its not cheap from the off. No adjusting this / guids that, eveything else is pretty much normal BM Tax.

What goes wrong:
Not a lot really. Actuators which are well documented, and some cases of rod bearings on high milers, but you can do preventative maintenance on these items if that's your thing. Late cars can still be under warranty so just enjoy it.

What do others think.
I have not had a single negative vibe. Most give me the thumbs up, and people come over and want to talk about the car (and the colour) its a cool car, and among-st all the M badges on diesels and 4 pot petrols, people know the real thing really.

Did I mention the noise ? oh yes I have already

Round up:
I really like this car, so does my wife, so does my mates, I like driving it, I love the noise it makes, its a driver involving machine, you have to try with it and wind her up and I have not driven my Porsche much because of it. Its such an event with the top dropped, today I started to get sunburn in it so had to stop off for some lotion Then when I'm done I get the flies off the front, raise the roof on the key, and I always look back and think that's a looker, and I bought the right car. Would I rather a lovely sorted 46. Nope !!

Agree on that apart from Lambo comment, its a great engine but its nowhere near the noise of the Italian!
Baptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 01:41 AM   #105
Redman
Achieved official socks

Car: 65 4 series GC F36 Msport Estoril Blue/Oaster Interior

Enjoyed reading that OP, the V8 is most certainly a capable car, people that own and owned them swear by them strongly
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 07:53 AM   #106
kevM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2014 F80 M3 & a 2009 123d M sport coupe
Colour Combo: Mineral Grey ,Silverstone leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman View Post
people that own and owned them swear by them strongly
Yea like i did with mine at first with the initial problems i had with it
kevM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 08:25 AM   #107
Scutch
Achieved official socks

Car: 2012 Japan Red E92 M3 | 2008 UR Megane R26
Colour Combo: Japan Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevM3 View Post
Yea like i did with mine at first with the initial problems i had with it

All good now though, Kev, or still up for a DCT?
Scutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 09:39 AM   #108
kevM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2014 F80 M3 & a 2009 123d M sport coupe
Colour Combo: Mineral Grey ,Silverstone leather

All good now scutch ,just come back from a road trip to spain , ill be sticking with this now untill i can get an F80
kevM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 05:04 PM   #109
boba fett
Achieved official socks

Car: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevM3 View Post
All good now scutch ,just come back from a road trip to spain , ill be sticking with this now untill i can get an F80
Kev the Monty is the holly grail though, you have made it
boba fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 07:56 PM   #110
chrisc
Achieved official socks

Car: GT-R + M3
Colour Combo: Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Agree on all of that.

Just glad you finally realised what we all said was true, after slagging E9Xs off when you were an E46 owner.
Exactly this. Finally drove one and loved it, at last.
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 08:05 PM   #111
doug16v
Achieved official socks

Car: 2010 M3 Comp Pack

It took me a while to gel with my e92 but after a while it all made sense
doug16v is offline   Reply With Quote