The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum
 

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Detailing, Valeting and Car care



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2017, 08:27 AM   #1
JM85
Achieved official socks
 
JM85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,599
Car: Golf R
Default Cleaning Advice - Black Car

Hi

Hoping for some advise from those in the know, I have a Black car on order for the Mrs, personally I hate Black cars but its what the Mrs wanted, anyway I am looking for some advise on how best to protect it from swirls as these always seem worse / more visable on Black cars

My current wash kit would look like this:

2 Buckets with grit gards
Microfibre wash mitt
AG or MaGuire's Shampoo
Microfibre cloths to dry
SRP
Used to use Collanite wax but think I've run out, got some MaGuire's liquid wax

Is the above OK?

Looking at better options for drying & a good Wax

Also read about Bouncers Done & Dusted, is this any good?
JM85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 19th June 2017, 05:43 AM   #2
ace
Rocking a new hat
 
ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 593
Car: 2002 E46 M3 Manual Coupe
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Kiwi
Default

I use poor boys black hole sealant and Nattys black wax, these help to fill any imperfections. Get used to cleaning a lot!
ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 08:39 AM   #3
LoadedM3
Site Sponsor
 
LoadedM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North west
Posts: 6,957
Car: 2002 M3 VERT
Colour Combo: brillaint white ;-)
Default

The most amount of damage to paint work is inflected in the washing and drying stages. It's always going to happen regardless of how careful you are. We all must aim to eliminate as much of the risk as possible with process, technique and the right products.

I would advise a good pre wash/foam before getting to your 2 bucket method, a strong performing high suddy/lube shampoo and wash pad. Quality drying towel and rinse aid plus a good wax or sealant.
LoadedM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:36 PM   #4
chrisgreen
Achieved official socks
 
chrisgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bristol
Posts: 652
Car: E46 M3 Manual Coupe
Colour Combo: Phoenix Yellow/ Kiwi
Default

Make sure you 'dab' dry too with the towel rather than wipe
chrisgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 04:24 PM   #5
JM85
Achieved official socks
 
JM85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,599
Car: Golf R
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM3 View Post
The most amount of damage to paint work is inflected in the washing and drying stages. It's always going to happen regardless of how careful you are. We all must aim to eliminate as much of the risk as possible with process, technique and the right products.

I would advise a good pre wash/foam before getting to your 2 bucket method, a strong performing high suddy/lube shampoo and wash pad. Quality drying towel and rinse aid plus a good wax or sealant.
Can you recommend some of your products for this?

I don't have a jet wash though, will that be a problem?
JM85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:00 PM   #6
LoadedM3
Site Sponsor
 
LoadedM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North west
Posts: 6,957
Car: 2002 M3 VERT
Colour Combo: brillaint white ;-)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM85 View Post
Can you recommend some of your products for this?

I don't have a jet wash though, will that be a problem?
We don't stock a pre wash that can be used without a foam lance so i would recommend a citrus pre wash (pro valet is not bad at all) which you can spray straight onto the car, leave to dwell then hose down before going to your 2 bucket method.

Then Straight of the bat i would fully recommend the Adams wash pad and car shampoo. They were designed to work together many moons back and are still the combo to beat imo. The suds the shampoo and wash pad make are crazy. Make sure to add some shampoo straight into the pad as well as the bucket it increase the lubrication between the pad and the paint. The more suds the safer the wash.

Then i work recommend a drying aid/ detail spray to aid the drying process and stop water spots forming on your paint. Then pat dry with out big yellow drying towel.

As for protection it really depends if you want long term, short term, wax or sealant. Many many options.

Here are the links to the products above. You get 10% off all orders using the discount code cuttersuk.

Wash pad

https://www.prestigecarcareshop.com/...l-car-wash-pad

Car shampoo

https://www.prestigecarcareshop.com/...r-wash-shampoo

Detail spray

https://www.prestigecarcareshop.com/...s-detail-spray

big yellow

https://www.prestigecarcareshop.com/...ary-big-yellow
LoadedM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:15 PM   #7
JM85
Achieved official socks
 
JM85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,599
Car: Golf R
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM3 View Post
We don't stock a pre wash that can be used without a foam lance so i would recommend a citrus pre wash (pro valet is not bad at all) which you can spray straight onto the car, leave to dwell then hose down before going to your 2 bucket method.

Then Straight of the bat i would fully recommend the Adams wash pad and car shampoo. They were designed to work together many moons back and are still the combo to beat imo. The suds the shampoo and wash pad make are crazy. Make sure to add some shampoo straight into the pad as well as the bucket it increase the lubrication between the pad and the paint. The more suds the safer the wash.

Then i work recommend a drying aid/ detail spray to aid the drying process and stop water spots forming on your paint. Then pat dry with out big yellow drying towel.

As for protection it really depends if you want long term, short term, wax or sealant. Many many options.

Here are the links to the products above. You get 10% off all orders using the discount code cuttersuk.

Wash pad

https://www.prestigecarcareshop.com/...l-car-wash-pad

Car shampoo

https://www.prestigecarcareshop.com/...r-wash-shampoo

Detail spray

https://www.prestigecarcareshop.com/...s-detail-spray

big yellow

https://www.prestigecarcareshop.com/...ary-big-yellow
This is going to be expensive, to answer you last question long term protection would be preferred
JM85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:45 AM.


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies this website uses, click here.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - 2014 M3cutters. All Rights Reserved.