The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 13th June 2017, 12:49 AM   #1
faisal1203
On the path

Car: 2013 BMW M3 Competition Pack
Default Keyless Entry/Go

What is the safety like with cars with keyless entry/go?

How does it work? Can someone else get into or start the car if I am nearby with the key etc?

When leaving the car do you just press the fob once to lock the car and keep the alarm system enabled?
faisal1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 14th June 2017, 12:42 AM   #2
faisal1203
On the path

Anyone?
Old 14th June 2017, 09:26 AM   #3
makavelli
Achieved official socks

Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Mineral White/Fox Red & 2012 Audi A8 3.0TDI White/Black

I personally love it after getting used to it on my previous A8, I wouldn't buy another car without it.

The BM system is not as smooth as the audi, but is still good, just touch the door handle to unlock the car, keys have to be within arms length of the car and then when you sit in the car you can hear it release the steering lock, car wont start without keys in the car.

When exiting you can either touch the ribs on the door handle to lock the car, which again saves you getting them out your pocket or just press the button on the key fob.
makavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 10:33 AM   #4
riverrat
A mere Chipper

Car: 2009 BMW M3

Just be aware that comfort access makes these cars even easier to steal without keys (yes I did learn the hard way).
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 10:39 AM   #5
djgandy
Achieved official socks

Car: Atlantis Blue E93 M3

Great system if you want your car nicked ;-)
djgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 10:46 AM   #6
makavelli
Achieved official socks

Cars without comfort access are stolen just as easily, there have been many people without it that have also had their car stolen.

If a thief wants your car and its accessible they will take it, regardless of whether it has comfort access or not.
Old 17th June 2017, 12:55 AM   #7
Vibe
On the path

Car: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by makavelli View Post
I personally love it after getting used to it on my previous A8, I wouldn't buy another car without it.

The BM system is not as smooth as the audi, but is still good, just touch the door handle to unlock the car, keys have to be within arms length of the car and then when you sit in the car you can hear it release the steering lock, car wont start without keys in the car.

When exiting you can either touch the ribs on the door handle to lock the car, which again saves you getting them out your pocket or just press the button on the key fob.
I came from a S5 with keyless and found the audi system was 10x better than BM, thing that annoys me the most is the boot on the BM it's 50/50 if it opens with keyless. Do you find the same problem happens to you?
Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 02:14 PM   #8
Eviltad
On the path

Car: E92 M3 Comp Pack. Individual Topaz Gold
Colour Combo: Individual Gold with Black.

I'd be nervous of keyless entry as they can scan your key code from outside your house. The key can be cloned without you knowing or suspecting and they will drive it away.

Definite need for a Pandora System and Faraday box to keep your keys in.
Eviltad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 02:50 PM   #9
faisal1203
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltad View Post
I'd be nervous of keyless entry as they can scan your key code from outside your house. The key can be cloned without you knowing or suspecting and they will drive it away.

Definite need for a Pandora System and Faraday box to keep your keys in.
Definitely makes me nervous. However, I'm sure the 2013 cars have the laser keys which make it slightly more difficult correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 19th June 2017, 06:35 AM   #10
Sm4ug
On the path

Car: E93 M3 Convertible DCT
Colour Combo: Interlagos Blue/Black

Quote:

If you have comfort access car starts without inserting the key.

I really like CA don't use the key at all except to open the top.
I open the car by touching the door handle, start the car with the key in my pocket and after getting out I close it with door handle too, only thing you need to do is shut the engine off, it won't do that for you like F series cars, other than that it's great.
Sm4ug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:52 PM   #11
Ascension
On the path

Colour Combo: Moonstone Silver / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibe View Post
I came from a S5 with keyless and found the audi system was 10x better than BM, thing that annoys me the most is the boot on the BM it's 50/50 if it opens with keyless. Do you find the same problem happens to you?
Yep, exactly the same with mine.
Ascension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 01:02 PM   #12
Peejay
On the path

Car: E93 M3 DCT
Colour Combo: Alpine White / Fox

My boot opening with CA is fine.

I've heard you can get issues when the Keyfob battery is low.
Peejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 01:54 PM   #13
makavelli
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibe View Post
I haven't had any issues with the boot not opening. Think the system can be intermittent when the car battery is low as it shuts down certain non essential functions.
Old 20th June 2017, 09:04 AM   #14
Vibe
On the path

Quote:
I haven't had any issues with the boot not opening. Think the system can be intermittent when the car battery is low as it shuts down certain non essential functions.
Keyfob has had new batteries over its life and i had a new car battery fitted 3-4 months ago but nothing has helped
The boot is the main problem, but also every now and then the car doesn't lock with keyless i have to keep removing my thumb and placing it back on until it locks which makes me look abit of a tit
Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote