The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > General and Forum stuff > Pictures and Videos

Old 25th July 2017, 07:51 PM   #61
alpinaman
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW Z4M Coupe

Every E46 M3 or not should be repaired by BMW if this happens. Sod the 10 year law,its a massive design failure..

They didnt even learn from the previous generation cars.
alpinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 26th July 2017, 10:09 PM   #62
s54smg2
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2005 BMW M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Jet Black/ Black

Last edited by s54smg2; 8th August 2017 at 07:08 PM.
s54smg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 03:05 AM   #63
DaveMSport
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 Individual, E36 M3 track car, Landrover Defender E53 X5, E38 730, E30 318is, E30 Mtec touring
Colour Combo: Techno Violet/silver gray

An update to this!

After doing my floor last year and finally only putting it all back together a few weeks ago as wasn't able to last year due to an accident

When fitting my poweflex bushes, I noticed that the front sleeves had considerable play in them.
I didn't at all like the idea of this and assumed it was a mistake or just a silly design as let's face it... Silly designs on the E46 aren't surprising at this stage

I then got in touch with the supplier and they sent me a full new set which was the same again but I just used the tighter pay of sleeves out of each kit.

All back together and felt tight as a nut

Fast forward a year to finishing off the car for a trip to the `Ring and when I was refitting the V-brace, for love nor money wouldn't fit as the front subframe mounting lower bracket was maybe 5mm too far forward.

Loosened the subframe bolts, tried everything apart from dropping the lot to see could I get it to line up and got worried the welding distorted the floor or through bolts to the vince brace and roll cage pickups on the top side of the floor weren't straight.

Then thought about the play on the sleeves. The play would accommodate a little factory/bending tolerances in the shell to allow the brace to be always fitted easily.

I could have pulled the sleeves out and refitted but I just enlongated the subframe hole in the V-brace a tiny bit and it was perfect then

I'll stick up pictures of the sleeves I'm ranting about later when get to my laptop

But I wonder does this contribute to such crazy amounts of flexing on the rear floor too as essentially only the rear mounts are bolted solid with the fronts still having room for movement within the bush

Last edited by DaveMSport; 4th August 2017 at 03:07 AM.
DaveMSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 09:54 PM   #64
s54smg2

Last edited by s54smg2; 8th August 2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 5th August 2017, 09:58 AM   #65
Pharmed
Achieved official socks

Car: Supercharged E46 M3

What V brace do you mean?
Pharmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 10:25 AM   #66
DaveMSport
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 Individual, E36 M3 track car, Landrover Defender E53 X5, E38 730, E30 318is, E30 Mtec touring

Sorry, been crazy busy the last few days trying to get the car ready for the 'Ring but hopefully tomorrow I'll have a day to relax and I'll upload some pics and make it abit clearer then

I'm using everything factory for the M3 apart from powerflex subframe and diff bushes plus Reddish plates and the vince brace.

Will be designing my own bolt in cage that ties into everything on the rear end then over the winter
Old 5th August 2017, 11:14 PM   #67
DaveMSport
Achieved official socks

Default Powerflex bush sleeve play

Front and rear bushes with sleeves as they're supplied showing play in one

So, I was given another set and then used the tighter fitting sleeves in both front and rear bushes

When all fitted then with the tighter sleeves, I had a slight issue fitting the V-brace (part 16 below) as the front subframe bracket (part 12) was slightly too far forward as I had everything tight.

I then loosened the bracket by slacking off the subframe nuts and the small bolts holding the bracket to the body but was to no avail.

If the sleeves had abit of play in either the front or rear bushes, it might have given the slack needed to mount the brace easier.

I just elongated the brace's rear hole a slight bit and everything was perfect then

Just wondering did anybody else have the same issue. My own car's RACP was only slightly damaged, small crack on the left rear and few localised cracking around the bolts and just a spot weld broken on the right rear front on the top side
Old 6th August 2017, 10:13 AM   #68
schooner32
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black

Dave , it's odd you had trouble lining it up because despite you fitting tighter sleeves at the rear Bush's. The front bushes are a tight fit anyway with poweflex. So once the front bolts are in there respective holes, there shouldn't be any movement forward or backwards regardless of having the usual sleeves at the rear bush or the tighter sleeve you fitted.
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 04:02 PM   #69
s54smg2

Last edited by s54smg2; 8th August 2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 6th August 2017, 04:17 PM   #70
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner32 View Post
Dave , it's odd you had trouble lining it up because despite you fitting tighter sleeves at the rear Bush's. The front bushes are a tight fit anyway with poweflex. So once the front bolts are in there respective holes, there shouldn't be any movement forward or backwards regardless of having the usual sleeves at the rear bush or the tighter sleeve you fitted.

Folk need to pay attention to what they remove.

On the OEM bushes only the front left fits the bolt properly
The front right is slotted left to right
The rear ones are too big all around.

However, none will move when the bolts are tightened correctly.

What does this tell us? Well the front left mount is the only critical one to be in the right place, the right is slotted left to right to to provide positive location for and aft but allow for variation in width.
The rears are slack enough to allow for tolerance in any direction.

People worry about a few minutes in suspension when their back axle tolerances from the factory are MM
E46CoupeM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 04:46 PM   #71
s54smg2

Last edited by s54smg2; 8th August 2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 6th August 2017, 04:48 PM   #72
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by s54smg2 View Post
In case anybody forgot, this guy wants to remind everyone that he knows it all.

to you big guy. . . .

The post above just explained that I misunderstood him. . why dont we try and just stay on topic from now on? That work for you?, or does that upset you too. I know you're a little sensitive about your knowledge on this car, and I now realize your need to let everyone know with such grace how great you are. ..

(my apologies to everyone else here, i couldnt resist after his negativity when i posted this thread originally.)
No, the point is the cars aren't built that accurately to start with.
Old 6th August 2017, 07:39 PM   #73
DaveMSport
Achieved official socks

I know the original bushes are slotted too but I didn't really understand why as my powerflex bushes fitted perfectly on the racp with all four tighter sleeves..

I'm happy to have the one 5mm slot on the V-brace and then that bolt secure and the main subframe tight in every direction

If the bushes fit perfectly on the four bolts and studs for the subframe, no reason to have two of them slotted imo
Old 6th August 2017, 07:42 PM   #74
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMSport View Post
I know the original bushes are slotted too but I didn't really understand why as my powerflex bushes fitted perfectly on the racp with all four tighter sleeves..

I'm happy to have the one 5mm slot on the V-brace and then that bolt secure and the main subframe tight in every direction

If the bushes fit perfectly on the four bolts and studs for the subframe, no reason to have two of them slotted imo
It just means cars vary, most will be around the optimum but the slot in OE bush and bigger rears will fit acceptable variation, so most won't need it but manufacturer would rather have the slot than a significant number of scrap shells. The yellow powerflex fitted mine fine too and V strut fitted perfectly "as is"

Last edited by E46CoupeM3; 6th August 2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 6th August 2017, 08:26 PM   #75
schooner32
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black

Quote:
Originally Posted by s54smg2 View Post
In case anybody forgot, this guy wants to remind everyone that he knows it all.

to you big guy. . . .

The post above just explained that I misunderstood him. . why dont we try and just stay on topic from now on? That work for you?, or does that upset you too. I know you're a little sensitive about your knowledge on this car, and I now realize your need to let everyone know with such grace how great you are. ..

(my apologies to everyone else here, i couldnt resist after his negativity when i posted this thread originally.)
Stop acting like a douch.
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 06:59 PM   #76
s54smg2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner32 View Post
Stop acting like a douch.
go *uck youself