The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > General and Forum stuff > Pictures and Videos

Old 16th July 2017, 07:55 AM   #21
Rob043
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Imola Red

OP, your car was already plated!? How long ago was that work done? Did it just get plated with no welding at the inner wheel arch seams?

That's a lot of movement!
Rob043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 16th July 2017, 03:29 PM   #22
TTFox
A mere Chipper

Car: M3 E46, Yamaha R6

Give the man a break ffs.. the video is imformative and what he is trying to say is all plates do is slow down the cracking process, they dont prevent it as it can still crack outside of the plates..

Always some smart t"ats with clever comments on here.
TTFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 03:57 PM   #23
Parsley
Achieved official socks

Car: E36 m3
Colour Combo: Avus

I wonder how much movement there is in an E36 floor?? Hmm might be worth filming it.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 03:57 PM   #24
Pharmed
Achieved official socks

Car: Supercharged E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTFox View Post
There are a few on these forums that know absolutely everything.. how lucky we are to be in their presence

Nice video OP and hope you get it sorted soon!
Pharmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 03:58 PM   #25
Parsley
Achieved official socks

Car: E36 m3
Colour Combo: Avus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTFox View Post
Give the man a break ffs.. the video is imformative and what he is trying to say is all plates do is slow down the cracking process, they dont prevent it as it can still crack outside of the plates..

It's the forum form I'm afraid.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 04:32 PM   #26
schooner32
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black
Plates or no plates, resin or no resin. Until the panel is supported internally either by seam welds or a brace then we are going to see more and more separation failures . It's just how it is and I'm sure some will disagree but that just means you don't understand the structure of the racp and how its design is supposed to work, which clearly it doesn't.

An example, here is a car that had the typical cracking that we all see day in and day out. It was not plated but I hope people can appreciate that this will happen wether you plated or not or even resin. The failed spot welds allowing the movement wasn't very obvious until internal sound deadening was removed.

Here is a brace then fitted to the same car as above with the idea being to connect the racp to the chassis legs and it supports the panel via through bolts and welds. The finished product is invisible because it's installed under the boot skin and then the skin is reinstalled. This particular repair is also known as the Vincebrace but there are other options to achieve the same effect.

So I hope this can encourage people to understand that plating is not sufficient and the panel is going to separate with the rate being determined by the usage.

That car was then plated and seam welded at certain locations.

Last edited by schooner32; 16th July 2017 at 05:17 PM.
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 05:30 PM   #27
Kev78
Achieved official socks

Car: 2016 XC60 D5 polestar. 2005 350z Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rius View Post
if your subframe is fine why the **** video called subframe fail
Because the subframe isn't doing its job if the floor has cracked?
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 05:46 PM   #28
rob1974
Wearing official robes

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / LSB

who in the UK fits the vince brace?
rob1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 05:49 PM   #29
schooner32
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1974 View Post
BM conversions UK ltd have done it. But to be fair it's not that difficult so any decent welder and fabricator should be able to help. I think gosling racing has done it too.
Old 16th July 2017, 05:50 PM   #30
DJ Syxx
Achieved official socks

Colour Combo: Stahl Grau & Cinnamon

I don't understand why some are giving the OP a hard time over this. Its an informative video, there's some that know what happens when it fails and some don't or know what the consequences are.

And agree with Schooner everytime he posts on this subject you need to reinforce the mounts to stop the floor from moving. Plates only slow the problem.
DJ Syxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 05:50 PM   #31
Pharmed
Achieved official socks

Car: Supercharged E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1974 View Post
JWS developments weld in a rear brace. Mines had plates last year (Dave @ infinity racing) and I went to JWS for a check-up and brace. Good job I did as there were a few popped welds on the inside skin so a brace was definitely needed. on @ JWS says his brace ties into the rear chassis rails. It is 95% hidden too in the internal cavity so you only see a small bit of it and retain all the boot space.
Pharmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 05:58 PM   #32
schooner32
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmed View Post
JWS developments weld in a rear brace. Mines had plates last year (Dave @ infinity racing) and I went to JWS for a check-up and brace. Good job I did as there were a few popped welds on the inside skin so a brace was definitely needed. on @ JWS says his brace ties into the rear chassis rails. It is 95% hidden too in the internal cavity so you only see a small bit of it and retain all the boot space.
Yea that will work too, I suppose the decision on what brace you want is largely determined by how OE you want it finished. If you want this to be 100% invisible then Vince brace or something like it is the best option. If your not bothered by having some evidence of having work done then JWS tube is great too. The quality of finish will also be determined by the attention to detail of the fabricator.

Here is mine finished product . Wouldn't even know there is a full functional brace lurking there.

The carpet is not fitted properly here as it was rolled up. That's not a result of the brace underneath

Bottom line is , a brace of whatever description is needed and it absolutely must pick up the chassis legs and support the racp. I personally would want it connected to the subframe via extended bolts. Others rely on welds.

Last edited by schooner32; 16th July 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 16th July 2017, 06:06 PM   #33
rob1974
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner32 View Post
BM conversions UK ltd have done it. But to be fair it's not that difficult so any decent welder and fabricator should be able to help. I think gosling racing has done it too.
I'll look into it. Thank you
Old 16th July 2017, 06:08 PM   #34
rob1974
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Syxx View Post
I don't understand why some are giving the OP a hard time over this. Its an informative video, there's some that know what happens when it fails and some don't or know what the consequences are.

And agree with Schooner everytime he posts on this subject you need to reinforce the mounts to stop the floor from moving. Plates only slow the problem.
i totally agree. We should be thanking people when they provide good information.
Old 16th July 2017, 06:39 PM   #35
Truce
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2004 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Mystic Blue/Grey

Thanks for the vid .. you can always rely on a few cutters for support. We're not all ass hats though mate !
Truce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 09:58 PM   #36
sitronic
Wearing official robes

Car: M3 E46 Coupe & Jeep Wrangler TJ & bikes
Colour Combo: Titty Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by s54smg2 View Post
I have owned the car since 2008 with 50k miles. Im at 118k miles now. VIDEO SHOWS FLOOR UNDER ACCELERATION

No drifting - Few Launches - Just years of hard acceleration and the floor was weakened to this point. . . (a large bump in a construction zone hit, a loud snap was heard. A month later i find this. . .)

please share with e46 owners

Mate, Thanks so much for creating this video..It demonstrates perfectly, how crap the original BMW design is...
These are supposed to be the 'ultimate driving machine', but the floor appears to be made from cardboard with inadequate provision for the forces going through..SMG or not..

So far mine is okay...but they ALL fail eventually by the looks of it...If i'm still the proud owner when that day comes the information in this video and from fellow cutters is invaluable...

I'm going to act sooner rather than later and try to find someone who can supply and fit the brace..The floor reinforcement AND bracing seems to be the only actual solution to the problem..

It's fkn scary seeing that amount of flex.
Thanks again.
sitronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 04:05 AM   #37
s54smg2
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2005 BMW M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Jet Black/ Black

Thanks to all for the positive feedback.

I will follow up with the brace I chose to purchase today. As mentioned, I plan to lock this down properly.

I spent the day talking with product developers and have made my choice with confidence moving forward.

There is indeed a solution that does not require dropping the entire subframe for those interested, only lowering it .. and no welding either. . Ill follow up tomorrow, late for me here now.

Cheers
s54smg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 06:36 AM   #38
lambo555
Rocking a new hat

Colour Combo: Laguna Seca Blue over Black

What a video! Canít believe all that movement in the boot floor interested in how you sort this cheerís
lambo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 08:19 AM   #39
Champ19ns
Achieved official socks

Car: E46M

Great video - thanks!

You've provided more to this forum than many already
Champ19ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 03:42 PM   #40
sitronic
Wearing official robes

Car: M3 E46 Coupe & Jeep Wrangler TJ & bikes
Colour Combo: Titty Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by s54smg2 View Post
Thanks to all for the positive feedback.

I will follow up with the brace I chose to purchase today. As mentioned, I plan to lock this down properly.

I spent the day talking with product developers and have made my choice with confidence moving forward.

There is indeed a solution that does not require dropping the entire subframe for those interested, only lowering it .. and no welding either. . Ill follow up tomorrow, late for me here now.

Cheers
I'll read your follow up with interest...Do you know if your chosen option is available over here? (probably not)...

My car is at 95k but i don't think she's led a particularly hard life as there are no signs of abuse, and even most of the paint is original, rare for a 15 yr old performance car.

is yours a keeper?

I want to keep mine for the next year or two, but want it to be a really nice example so that i can enjoy it without worrying about the floor tearing itself to pieces, and also to achieve the maximum price when i move one....hopefully to a 997.2 C4S.
sitronic is online now   Reply With Quote