The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Insurance

Old 7th August 2018, 06:53 PM   #1
AgSurfer
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2010 e93 M3
Colour Combo: Space Grey / Black
Default Got Hit from Behind "Sorry - I was sleeping"

So making my way to work this morning and those of you familiar with East London traffic will know it was horrendous due to the A13.

Having left home at 07:30, to get in comfortably for a 08:30 meeting, I found myself on the A406 at 9ish.
It was standstill traffic, just crawling at best. The car in front of me was not moving with the flow so after allowing the standard 10-15 second courtesy I applied my horn. The car then moved on.
I figured this route was getting me nowhere fast so decided to take the next slip road and go further out to come back in.
I took the slip road and the same car decided to do the same. By this time it was behind me.
I was about 6 cars back from the roundabout at the bottom of the slip when i felt a whack from behind from the same car.

I mounted the raised area beneath the carriageway that went over the roundabout and beckoned the driver of the offending car to do the same.

After getting out and asking several times "wtf?" a large guy called Ade got out the car to apologise. I didn't care for his apology and continued in vain to ask my question of "wtf?"!!!
Seeing a phone in his hand I asked if he had hit me because he had been using his phone; this is when the corker came in:

Ade: "Can I be honest with you"
Me: "Fk yeah - and if it's got something to do with that phone you're going to see me be seriously pss'd"
Ade: "I fell asleep. I'm tired"

So after swapping insurance details and taking pictures of him and his ID I carried on my journey.

It was quite an impact and the bumper was left with indentations and is slightly off alignment where it wraps round to meet the arch but from a distance it looks fine.

I contacted Ade's insurance company who gave me a reference number and said they'd contact me once their client calls in to report the accident.
I've contacted my insurance company who straight away said it's a non-fault and gave me the following two options:

1. Use Auxillis and I won't have to pay my excess and my NCD won't be affected
2. Use my insurance company and I'll have to pay my excess and lose NCD until they are able to confirm liability/claim from Ade's insurers

To this I add a third option of dealing directly with Ade's insurer.

I'm not interested in claiming for whiplash etc... (I hate the way premiums rise every year and fuelling this by supporting these claims will never sit well with me). I just want the car repaired quickly and proficiently.

For this reason I would want it to go into a BMW dealership, or a recognised indi such as Munich Legends etc.
My concerns are around the DCT - which makes enough clonks as it is and I wouldn't be confident that some of these 'under the arches approved bodyshops' will have the relevant knowledge to diagnose an issue.

Having just purchased the car earlier this year as an AUC it still has BMW warranty and I don't want this compromised either.

Suggestions supported by experience please...
AgSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 7th August 2018, 08:00 PM   #2
stuartk
Achieved official socks

Car: F10 M5 & E89 Z4 & M2
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Blue/ Silverstone Merino Leather @ Mineral White/ Red leather

I would call sytner drive accident management.

Ots non fault they deal with everything you get like for like hire car and it's repaired at a main dealer.
stuartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 08:01 PM   #3
AgSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartk View Post
I would call sytner drive accident management.

Ots non fault they deal with everything you get like for like hire car and it's repaired at a main dealer.
This sounds just perfect.

Itíll be my first call of the morning. Thank you
Old 7th August 2018, 08:03 PM   #4
stuartk
Achieved official socks

Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Blue/ Silverstone Merino Leather @ Mineral White/ Red leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgSurfer View Post

Itíll be my first call of the morning. Thank you
My ex used them and they were brilliant they even collected his car and dropped off a lovely 430d cabriolet.

My mate used them on his e46 and he got a Porsche 911 courtesy car LMAO!
Old 7th August 2018, 08:26 PM   #5
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

Quote:

It’ll be my first call of the morning. Thank you
Accident management involved will likely inflate costs

Quote:
I'm not interested in claiming for whiplash etc... (I hate the way premiums rise every year and fuelling this by supporting these claims will never sit well with me). I just want the car repaired quickly and proficiently.
Most of those claims cost aren't the whiplash people receive it's accident management

Good on you not making a claim if not needed but they may have their money from the above maybe?

Last edited by E46CoupeM3; 7th August 2018 at 08:32 PM.
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 08:29 PM   #6
stuartk
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46CoupeM3 View Post
Accident management involved will likely inflate costs
No what it will do is ensure the following:

1. He gets a decent hire car
2. His repairs are done properly at a bmw approved dealer with warranty
3. He's dealt with like a human being which an insurance company won't

My M5 went through insurance recently and the bill was around £7k for hardly any damage. So the reality is the insurers, bodyshops etc. Are all creaming it off.

Do they save you or I money? No. Why worry about their costs? They'll be thankless. Insurance will continue to be a rip off either way.
Old 7th August 2018, 10:07 PM   #7
AgSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartk View Post
No what it will do is ensure the following:

1. He gets a decent hire car
2. His repairs are done properly at a bmw approved dealer with warranty
3. He's dealt with like a human being which an insurance company won't

My M5 went through insurance recently and the bill was around £7k for hardly any damage. So the reality is the insurers, bodyshops etc. Are all creaming it off.

Do they save you or I money? No. Why worry about their costs? They'll be thankless. Insurance will continue to be a rip off either way.
This really does seem the best way to ensure a proper repair.
Old 10th August 2018, 08:47 PM   #8
AgSurfer

It's never simple is it...

So I'm booked into Sytner Harold Wood for Wednesday where they'll have a replacement car waiting for me.
All fine - arranged through Sytner Drive Accident Management.

Got in the car today to drive home and have a message on the iDrive telling me Engine Fault and Reduced Power.
I've got the orange engine light lit permanently on the dash and an image of what looks like an engine block sliced in half.

I've not got the foggiest what it could be!!!

The car feels and sounds like it's not running on all cylinders but I don't know if this is the cause of the engine light or if this is what it does to reduce your power.

As mentioned it's an AUC so under BMW warranty, but do I now wait till Wednesday
to drop it off (and not touch it till then) or give Sytner HW a call first thing in the morning about getting it to them tomorrow?

It's really wound me up.
Old 11th August 2018, 08:25 AM   #9
stuartk
Achieved official socks

Quote:
It's never simple is it...

So I'm booked into Sytner Harold Wood for Wednesday where they'll have a replacement car waiting for me.
All fine - arranged through Sytner Drive Accident Management.

Got in the car today to drive home and have a message on the iDrive telling me Engine Fault and Reduced Power.
I've got the orange engine light lit permanently on the dash and an image of what looks like an engine block sliced in half.

I've not got the foggiest what it could be!!!

The car feels and sounds like it's not running on all cylinders but I don't know if this is the cause of the engine light or if this is what it does to reduce your power.

As mentioned it's an AUC so under BMW warranty, but do I now wait till Wednesday
to drop it off (and not touch it till then) or give Sytner HW a call first thing in the morning about getting it to them tomorrow?

It's really wound me up.
I would ring sytner drive and get then to sort it sooner.
Old 12th August 2018, 07:38 AM   #10
AgSurfer

That was great advice Stuart.

They arranged to take the car straight away and offered me a car too.
I declined the Merc they offered and said I was happy to wait for a decent BMW on Monday as a replacement.

Once the knewit was an AUC they assured me that they’d get everything fixed one way or another.

I know I’d have never felt as comfortable with all this if it was all going through an insurance body shop.