The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 9th February 2018, 11:46 PM   #1
dendeeze
A mere Chipper

Car: 2003 BMW 325Ci SMG
Colour Combo: Silver grey
Default The Alpine iXL702e46

At the end of 2017, Alpine launched the successor to the INE-W997E46, the
Alpine style iLX-702E46 not only with Apple Carplay but also with Android Auto and Waze build in and you can screen mirror your Android smartphone with the unit, so i could still use for instance Torque or other apps. Al the features that you see in this commercial also works on the Alpine iLX-702E46, steering wheel controls are going to canbus in the radio, even the mic button would work if you send speaking messages to Apple carplay and Android auto.

https://www.facebook.com/caraudiocar...3098213276440/

What are you'r thougts about it?

Last edited by dendeeze; 9th February 2018 at 11:53 PM.
dendeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10th February 2018, 12:17 AM   #2
Andy K
Wearing official robes

Car: E46 M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Imola / Black

Nice unit, bonkers money
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2018, 11:47 AM   #3
Bigfoot
Achieved official socks

Car: 2005 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver Grey / Grey

No native satnav.

Dependant on having to plug your phone in for music & data.

The W997E46 was a brilliant head unit but Alpine stopped producing after just a year.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 10th February 2018 at 11:49 AM.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2018, 09:43 PM   #4
dendeeze
A mere Chipper

deleted

Last edited by dendeeze; 10th February 2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10th February 2018, 09:59 PM   #5
ExCop530dT
Achieved official socks

Car: E39 Ex Police 530d Touring

Hi,

High quality and capable head units and those which have even better internal IC's and circuitry/PCB's and components will have higher price tags. A lot of people have become used to 'low' quality products and their price points and specifically, the cheap chinese audio head units at around £200-300.

Electronics wise, many many people have smartphones and use of them in the car is growing all the time. Around the globes developed countries, market use of smartphones is very high and electronics companies are at a sort of 'cusp' of change. The iLX-702 doesn't 'need' native GPS software on board as when an iphone or android phone is plugged in, the software on the users phone can be used. Also, other apps could be used if required. Similar for music and anything needing a data connection. All of these aspects 'could' be built into a head unit, but most likely the retail pricing would be higher as well. You'd also then get people saying I don't need a phone and data capabilities on my car's head unit etc.

Alpine sealed a 'closer' relationship with Apple some years back so it's why they have Apple Carplay as a preferred partner and solution. Other brands are also including it along with Android Auto as well. It's the way technology convergence happens.

You can still use a non Carplay/Android Auto head unit if you wished, it's just there's not an E46 'version' as such.

Lastly, Alpine's 997 E46 and the 702 were 'aimed' at those owners who want to build a high performing and high sound quality installation in their E46's. When used with similar high quality amplifiers and speakers, all mounted and installed well, the results would be nothing short of phenomenal and awesome. Owners can of course just use the speaker outputs and/or entry level amplifiers and speakers, but that's a bit like saying I want an M3 .. to do the school run and shopping run and nothing else!

Cheers, Dennis!
ExCop530dT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 02:54 PM   #6
Shas95
A mere Chipper

Car: Bmw

I’m in the middle of installing mine. I had a business CD player which got upgraded to the OEM nav by one of the previous owners who did a horrible job of wiring it all up.
Shas95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 09:51 PM   #7
dendeeze
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas95 View Post
Iím in the middle of installing mine. I had a business CD player which got upgraded to the OEM nav by one of the previous owners who did a horrible job of wiring it all up.
Cool, keep us posted
Old 14th February 2018, 10:25 AM   #8
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCop530dT View Post
Hi,

High quality and capable head units and those which have even better internal IC's and circuitry/PCB's and components will have higher price tags. A lot of people have become used to 'low' quality products and their price points and specifically, the cheap chinese audio head units at around £200-300.

Electronics wise, many many people have smartphones and use of them in the car is growing all the time. Around the globes developed countries, market use of smartphones is very high and electronics companies are at a sort of 'cusp' of change. The iLX-702 doesn't 'need' native GPS software on board as when an iphone or android phone is plugged in, the software on the users phone can be used. Also, other apps could be used if required. Similar for music and anything needing a data connection. All of these aspects 'could' be built into a head unit, but most likely the retail pricing would be higher as well. You'd also then get people saying I don't need a phone and data capabilities on my car's head unit etc.

Alpine sealed a 'closer' relationship with Apple some years back so it's why they have Apple Carplay as a preferred partner and solution. Other brands are also including it along with Android Auto as well. It's the way technology convergence happens.

You can still use a non Carplay/Android Auto head unit if you wished, it's just there's not an E46 'version' as such.

Lastly, Alpine's 997 E46 and the 702 were 'aimed' at those owners who want to build a high performing and high sound quality installation in their E46's. When used with similar high quality amplifiers and speakers, all mounted and installed well, the results would be nothing short of phenomenal and awesome. Owners can of course just use the speaker outputs and/or entry level amplifiers and speakers, but that's a bit like saying I want an M3 .. to do the school run and shopping run and nothing else!

Cheers, Dennis!
Yes but £800 for something that looks like a cheap Chinese bit of kit? If its E46 specific they should have gone to the trouble of making a proper facia with knobs/buttons like an e46. If they had spent but 2mins looking at the cheap competition they would have seen that 9/10 people choose to buy a unit that looks OEM over a unit which looks like its been wedged in the right sized hole.

I would probably pay close to what they want if it looked stock. After having classic head units like the Pioneer DEX-P9 and earlier DEH-P9650MP I've never been against spending a bit on a good head unit but for me anything bar stock looks ropey in an M3.
TouringRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 10:25 PM   #9
dendeeze
A mere Chipper

It ain't a easy choice, do i want a quality radio that does not look oem but still works time after time or a oem looking cheap radio with problems that never will be solved? I once had a Clarion VRX928RVD Car Video Player with GPS in my BMW E30, it was the best radio i ever had, and it has also no knobs and never had problems with it. So i don't see any problem to have the alpine without knobs to turn on.