The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Detailing, Valeting and Car care

Old 3rd July 2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Iatm
Achieved official socks

Car: M6 Gran Coupe LCI
Default Need Beginners advise to look after newly detailed car

Hi All,

Need some advise. Have my car newly detailed and want to look after it. Even though I have some knowledge of good cleaning habits I just need some advise to confirm and on what products

1) Pre clean - Have used snowfoam in the past - any recommendations on what to use? I have the flance thing that foams it all up in a bottle which attaches to the jetwash lance.

2) Very confused with conflicting info on how to clean, 2 bucket method I have heard of, Have also heard of the 6 mitt 1 bucket method (LOL), I once read a guy used to use 6 mits and 1 bucket. used a mitt per panel and never used it again: went straight into the washing machine; seemed like a good idea!
Also what mitt!? Maybe a sponge?

3) Drying - always used a large drying towel, recently a chamios cloth but would really like to make it a blow dry type dry. I know car dryers are starting to come out so any recommendations or a particular leaf blower that will do a good job.

If it matters, I have the Gtechniq Exo treatment done on it.

Any other advise or information would be great!

Thanks
Iatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 3rd July 2018, 02:23 PM   #2
D63
On the path

Car: Milk float

Simple, you have GT products on the car use the same brand to maintain it, 3 buckets 2 mitts, 1 bucket for the wheels and tail pipes the other 2 for paint and windows, buy a set of wheel woolies for cleaning the wheels properly, sorted.
D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Iatm
Achieved official socks

Car: M6 Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by D63 View Post
Simple, you have GT products on the car use the same brand to maintain it, 3 buckets 2 mitts, 1 bucket for the wheels and tail pipes the other 2 for paint and windows, buy a set of wheel woolies for cleaning the wheels properly, sorted.

never thought of it like that but it makes sense to use their range!
So I have located the foam, shampoo etc etc

Good shout on the Wheel Woolies.
Any recommendations on Mitts?
I currently use the megs Lambswool mitt.
Iatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 03:55 PM   #4
D63
On the path

Car: Milk float

GT or carpro mitts are good, saying that most mitts are just copies of each other anyway, wash an dry in straight lines with minimal pressure to help keep the swirls at bay
D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 04:48 PM   #5
zulfario94
On the path

Car: BMW M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue with Black Nappa Leather

Could always use the sheeting method at the end of a wash to keep drying minimalistic. Failing that and you want to blow dry it, just buy a leaf blower and take your time with it.
zulfario94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 04:59 PM   #6
Dek
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2004 BMW M3 Individual Convertible,AC Cobra replica, 1990 Toyota Celica convertible, 2016 430i
Colour Combo: Mora Purple/Cream white.

Can someone tell me why a pressure washer to remove most of the dirt initially followed by a soft brush on a lance dispensing snow foam with lots of continuous running water over the body isnít a better solution than multiple buckets which is just trying to dilute the amount of grit in each bucket. Washing it away has got to be better than capturing it?
Dek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Banksie
A mere Chipper

Car: M4CP

Get some of this
https://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/citrus-power-5litre

Search YouTube to see it work, cuts through grime really well.

Then power wash. Then snow foam. Then 2 bucket method. Then power wash.

Then use this to rinse.

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/race-glaz...ashing-filter/

Stand back and watch it dry without marks!

Get a small blower to blow the excess water from door seals, mirrors and wheels.

Effectively your only touching the car with the mitt at the two bucket stage. The less you can touch the car the better, even with EXO on it, it will mark.
Banksie is offline   Reply With Quote