The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > F80 M3 Saloon / F82 M4 Coupe / F83 M4 Convertible

Old 15th January 2018, 10:19 AM   #1
Jags
Achieved official socks

Car: F80 M3 LCI 2 Competition Pack Individual
Colour Combo: Azurite Black/Full Black Merino Leather
Default M4 Baby Friendlieness

Hi Guys!

Before I get happy and jump the gun and change it for a zafira, i was wondering how effective our m4's out for general baby carriage. There will be a new addition for me and my wife shortly so I was wondering weather I should change for an M3/M6 GC or X5M. All are within budget but I don't really wish to change unless I have to considering my M4 is only 6 months old.

Any valuable inputs?
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 15th January 2018, 10:27 AM   #2
M4conv
Rocking a new hat

Car: F80 M3 LCI

I swapped my F83 for an F80 for the same reason.

Cut a long story short, work out really who's car your baby will be in most - my wife prefer's her own car so when she was on maternity leave the baby was mostly in her car anyway. So really it didn't matter what I had.

I ultimately changed though because the boot on the F83 wasn't big enough for the pram and we needed a bigger car for longer trips.

If I had an F82, I defo would not have changed - yes it wouldn't be as easy to live with as an F80, especially as I now do the daily nursery run, but it would be perfectly doable.

So...don't rush into anything yet I'd say. Wait until the baby is here and give it a couple of months and see where you are, you'll probably be thankful you've saved a few K and stick where you are
M4conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 10:40 AM   #3
jada07515
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver grey track toy

My mrs used the e92 m3 and currently m4 as a daily mate - no issues at all....
jada07515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Tinpot
Achieved official socks

Car: MY '18 M4 CP
Colour Combo: Tanzanite Blue / Opal white

I've had coupes for the last 20 years or so. My two children were in the back from an early age and I now have twin granddaughters (5 years old) who have been ferried around in the back of an Alpina E82 and my current F82 M4 since birth. It may be slightly easier hoisting very young children in and out of the seats but I've never really understood why some regard it as absolutely essential to have a four door for this as I've never found it difficult.
Tinpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Dwaind
On the path

Car: M4

Hi, This is the response from a grandfather.

The pram fits in the boot, just get the right one. We have a baby Jogger, not the smallest in the world, but it fits. So far as the car seat is concerned, get a rear facing one with an isofix base and extended foot that provides a third base. Then fitting the child seat is easy. When the child gets a bit bigger we fitted an isofix 1,2,3 seat again with a foot, some have belts that fit over the seat to a mount point in the boot, that won't work on this car. The Halfords one fits, but its OOS ATM, don't get hung up on make, they all have to pass the same tests.

Always remember young kids mean you take everything including the kitchen sink when you go anywhere. The spare rear seat provides additional storage.

Rgds

Andy
Dwaind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 11:02 AM   #6
MaximumBob
Achieved official socks

Car: 2017 M4 CP

My wife went back to work after we had our daughter and I stayed at home to look after the baby....and I never quite made it back to work!!
I had a 911 turbo at the time and was absolutely not giving it up so I kept it and various other 911s until my daughter hit about 11 or 12 when she flat out refused to go in the back any more.
I don't recall any problems with having a baby seat in the back of a 911 so an M4 should be a piece of cake.
Give the M4 a go, you can always change it later on.

Last edited by MaximumBob; 15th January 2018 at 11:05 AM.
MaximumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 11:07 AM   #7
Schuey
Achieved official socks

Car: 2017 BMW F82 M4 Comp Pack
Colour Combo: YMB / SS

Rattles all fixed now?
Schuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 11:11 AM   #8
OreoGuy
Rocking a new hat

Car: BMW M4 CP
Colour Combo: Satin Black/Black

5, 4 and 1 year old here. Can't fit them in the car all at the same time but besides that, its perfect

Seriously, I can't imagine you'll have any problems with one child. It takes a little more maneuvering to get them in and out, but I've become very efficient at it. Plus the extra bending and stretching is not a bad thing, keeps you supple for more enjoyable activities!
OreoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 11:58 AM   #9
cfoster
Achieved official socks

Car: M4 Convertible, ML350 amg sport, mk5 Golf Gti dsg on air ride!

My M4 was fine for our new born, the 3 of us even drove down to the south of France with him in the back he was fine! As mentioned probably easier with a four door but its not that bad to be fair...
cfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 12:23 PM   #10
familyguy
Wearing official underwear

Car: F80 M3/ i3rx

The M4 will be fine.
The boot can't be much smaller than an M3 and you can get the world and his dog in there.
Go down to Mothercare and they'll try a load of car seats and buggies in your car for you.

Had a 928 before my M3 and I even got the Mothercare lady in the back of that trying various car seats.
Most amusing until they turned into teenagers. It started to get a little snug with four up plus luggage!
familyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 12:36 PM   #11
Theone8181
Wearing official robes

Car: E92 M3

I thought the m4 boot would be the same (or wider as the base car is wider).
Theone8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 12:43 PM   #12
jimbo83

Car: 2017 F80 CP Mineral Grey
Colour Combo: Mineral grey/Sakhir Orange

Hi mate,

I recently changed from M4 to M3, I have a baby that's just turned one and it was a bit of a pain getting the car seat in and out of the back. Its doable but over time it pissed me off and to now I have the M3 it is so much easier.

The boot is plenty big enough in the m4 and there is also plenty of room its just access thats a pain (I'm a fairly big lad at 6'1 15stone ) and my mrs couldnt lift the car seat properly without bashing the car so i had to do every single in out lift lol.

I'm sure you can manage but it isn't ideal. M3 is perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
Hi Guys!

Before I get happy and jump the gun and change it for a zafira, i was wondering how effective our m4's out for general baby carriage. There will be a new addition for me and my wife shortly so I was wondering weather I should change for an M3/M6 GC or X5M. All are within budget but I don't really wish to change unless I have to considering my M4 is only 6 months old.

Any valuable inputs?
jimbo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 01:04 PM   #13
Alex0
Rocking a new hat

Colour Combo: Silverstone II / Silverstone

I went from M3 to M4 no issues at all there is plenty of space to get car seats in and out.

I would see how you get on to start with
Alex0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 01:29 PM   #14
Gez1976
Achieved official socks

Car: F82 M4 CP
Colour Combo: Individual Long Beach Blue.

9 & 14.... arms and legs everywhere. Its surprising for such a BIG CAR what little space is in the back!
Gez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 01:51 PM   #15
Jags
Achieved official socks

Car: F80 M3 LCI 2 Competition Pack Individual
Colour Combo: Azurite Black/Full Black Merino Leather

Thanks all for the valuable input. This is why I love cutters. Honest, invaluable and timely responses. I'll hold on for sure & Schuey, yes the rattles have all been fixed. Took me 3 hours this weekend but all sorted now.
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 01:53 PM   #16
MaximumBob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo83 View Post
I recently changed from M4 to M3, I have a baby that's just turned one and it was a bit of a pain getting the car seat in and out of the back. Its doable but over time it pissed me off and to now I have the M3 it is so much easier.
I'm guessing you couldn't leave the car seat permanently in the back.
MaximumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 02:09 PM   #17
fireblade1
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW M4
Colour Combo: MW/Full Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez1976 View Post
9 & 14.... arms and legs everywhere. Its surprising for such a BIG CAR what little space is in the back!
I actually think they are quite spacous in the back for a coupe... a lot more room than my old RS5

OP plenty of room in the boot and with an isofix baby seat that can stay in the back you should be fine
fireblade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 02:48 PM   #18
jada07515
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver grey track toy

We have a seat perm up front
jada07515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 04:02 PM   #19
jimbo83

Car: 2017 F80 CP Mineral Grey
Colour Combo: Mineral grey/Sakhir Orange

When they are babies they are in a rear facing seat so it would be impossible to get baby in a seat while it was strapped in. mine is forward facing now I have the recaro seat and it was still a pain as i had to climb into the back of the car with the baby and strap her in. It is doable but not ideal. if its just a weekend car then fine but as a daily it will do your head in especially when its pissing it down and your messaging for ages with a bloody car seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumBob View Post
I'm guessing you couldn't leave the car seat permanently in the back.
jimbo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 11:04 AM   #20
billyboym3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3
Colour Combo: E46 M3

Fancy one of these, kids will be 4 and 3 soon, what non bulky seats are you using, Id leave them in the car and use a daily ****ter for nursery/school run.
billyboym3 is offline   Reply With Quote