The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 29th August 2017, 04:28 PM   #1
DonPamponi
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 SMG, moderate pimping
Colour Combo: Titan silver / half leather/alcantera. Eibacs, Miltek, angels, interior LEDs, Mtrack, mapped + phat
Question Can we meet the new emissions standards??

Question:

If I convert my '03 M3 to LPG (yeah I know, sacrilege),
Will it meet the new emissions legislation of 18momths time?

Any other ideas if u want to run a pre '06 petrol car??
DonPamponi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 29th August 2017, 04:59 PM   #2
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 Touring

No I do not believe it will.

Should only effect you if you are in an ULEZ?

It is utterly ridiculous that a petrol car older that 2006 is to be effectively banned from London and other main city areas. It has been proven that cars that fall into this category contribute to the poor air quality by a negligible amount so why are they being punished, especially given that the government were all for shonky horribly polluting diesel cars but 5 years ago.
TouringRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 06:05 AM   #3
flamez
Achieved official socks

Car: e46ftw
Colour Combo: Black

if they're gonna ban petrol cars then they should ban all diesels first, e.g. taxis, buses, coaches, vans. people driving round with no dpfs and black smoke everywhere. I don't know how they can say black cabs will be exempt.
flamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 06:35 AM   #4
bennn
Achieved official socks

Car: B7 RS4 Avant
Colour Combo: Sprint Blue / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringRob View Post
No I do not believe it will.

Should only effect you if you are in an ULEZ?

It is utterly ridiculous that a petrol car older that 2006 is to be effectively banned from London and other main city areas. It has been proven that cars that fall into this category contribute to the poor air quality by a negligible amount so why are they being punished, especially given that the government were all for shonky horribly polluting diesel cars but 5 years ago.
Its even more ridiculous when you think of how much pollution is made by making a brand new car. They should be paying us to keep our ready made ones on the road!
bennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 07:09 AM   #5
DonPamponi
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 SMG, moderate pimping
Colour Combo: Titan silver / half leather/alcantera. Eibacs, Miltek, angels, interior LEDs, Mtrack, mapped + phat

I thought you could if the conversion was of a specific type & installed by a registered company.
DonPamponi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Champ19ns
Achieved official socks

Car: GT3

The charge doesn't affect road cars I thought.
Champ19ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 09:57 AM   #7
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Nope the ULEZ which will be in force by 2020 directly affects road cars, motorbikes and some commercial vehicles.

Diesels before 2009 and petrol cars before 2006 will be subject to a daily charge of 12.50 and I suspect ultimately banned. Cars with classic tax status will be exempt.

Its not just London either - other areas/cities have announced that they will be enforcing similar measures.

I get the issue, but lets not forget that it was the government who pushed diesel cars heavily over the last 5-10 years. I seriously don't understand the pre 2006 petrol issue though especially if they have been LPG converted.
Old 30th August 2017, 10:02 AM   #8
7DT
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

So far the charge doesn't affect road cars unless you're driving in the congestion zone. however, driving through the congestion zone is normally not a great idea anyway. I think part of it is a consultation as to whether to widen it to greater london, however I don't really see that happening as it'd affect too many people.

If it's just the congestion zone then I am really not bothered, as it's easier to just take the tube into central london anyway.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/pr...-in-april-2019

is the press release
7DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 10:03 AM   #9
7DT
Achieved official socks

I know other cities in europe have implemented it, like Antwerp in Belgium. However, there I applied and got an exemption on the M3 untill 2100. I get the feeling the car will be long gone by that point (as will I)
Old 30th August 2017, 10:18 AM   #10
Champ19ns
Achieved official socks

Hold up, so cars older than 2006 are charged a daily rate only if going through the congestion charge zones from 2020?

I take it they can't widen it too much or people who can't afford newer cars would be disadvantaged
Old 30th August 2017, 10:26 AM   #11
Champ19ns
Achieved official socks

'North and South Circular roads as well as central London'

Wow, that's a whole lot of people living, commuting and working that will be affected.

This is scandalous considering these are the people who pay the majority of taxes in the "U.K.
Old 30th August 2017, 10:30 AM   #12
7DT
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ19ns View Post

Wow, that's a whole lot of people living, commuting and working that will be affected.

This is scandalous considering these are the people who pay the majority of taxes in the "U.K.
yeah, this is why I don't think that consultation will get through as it'd affect too many people adversely who can't afford newer cars...
Old 30th August 2017, 10:31 AM   #13
Champ19ns
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DT View Post
yeah, this is why I don't think that consultation will get through as it'd affect too many people adversely who can't afford newer cars...
Will most likely just affect the current congestion charge zones, at most!
Old 30th August 2017, 10:52 AM   #14
XKaLiBaR
Site Sponsor

Car: E46 M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Red/Red

Well the Boss said it in her speech after the elections. Nothing to do with government decision or choice.

I think a world without petrol and diesel cars, is a more healthy world. How we will get there, is the crime, because we could of got there along time ago

I used to live in shoreditch, 100 meters away from congestion zone. And on my window, if left open, my windowsill would go black from the car fumes after a few days.

However, I'm more worried about why our weather is so f8cked at the moment. This summer has not been fun for kids or parents, who have had to explain why they have to put a coat on, in the middle of summer, in august, and then t-shirt and shorts the next day.
XKaLiBaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 11:22 AM   #15
ShaunC
Achieved official socks

Car: 2007 BMW M3

There is going to be a motorcycle protest ride on Monday 4 September. The intention is to ride the motorcycle like a car and not filter, showing how motorcycles contribute to easing congestion.

Personally, I think it's terrible as it operates 24hrs and the poorer users will be the ones unable to go out and just buy a newer vehicle (car or bike). My bike won't be compliant but realistically if I had to commute through London, I would just go buy a newer bike. I just haven't done so due to the recent spate of bike jackings.

Its just a knee jerk reaction without much thought on cause and effect. Then again, Sadiq couldn't sort the traffic out in his own constituency - Tooting - so I have no faith on him solving for London.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...through-london
ShaunC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 11:44 AM   #16
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DT View Post
So far the charge doesn't affect road cars unless you're driving in the congestion zone. however, driving through the congestion zone is normally not a great idea anyway. I think part of it is a consultation as to whether to widen it to greater london, however I don't really see that happening as it'd affect too many people.

If it's just the congestion zone then I am really not bothered, as it's easier to just take the tube into central london anyway.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/pr...-in-april-2019

is the press release
Yes that is the initial area - I have no doubt that over time the area will expand. Other parts of the country (up North) are considering similar schemes too.

My concern is not the initial zone area - as you say driving in London is no fun anyway and there are faster methods. The bike part is a piss take. My worry is how far the zone will be aloud to expand once the quality of air has been proven to have improved which it no doubt will without all the horrid diesels barfing out particulates.
Old 30th August 2017, 11:48 AM   #17
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaLiBaR View Post
Well the Boss said it in her speech after the elections. Nothing to do with government decision or choice.

I think a world without petrol and diesel cars, is a more healthy world. How we will get there, is the crime, because we could of got there along time ago

I used to live in shoreditch, 100 meters away from congestion zone. And on my window, if left open, my windowsill would go black from the car fumes after a few days.

However, I'm more worried about why our weather is so f8cked at the moment. This summer has not been fun for kids or parents, who have had to explain why they have to put a coat on, in the middle of summer, in august, and then t-shirt and shorts the next day.
I thought this summer was pretty ace weather wise?

And if your concerned about the negligible impact that catalysed petrol vehicles have on London air quality then I suggest you sell the M3 and buy a Prius.

The issue is horribly polluting diesel cars/vans/buses and taxis. Ever cycled behind a taxi and thought "wow, this is really enjoyable".

Are you sure the black dust on your window sill in Shoreditch was from vehicles? I suspect it was actually just yuppie dream dust.
Old 30th August 2017, 11:50 AM   #18
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunC View Post
There is going to be a motorcycle protest ride on Monday 4 September. The intention is to ride the motorcycle like a car and not filter, showing how motorcycles contribute to easing congestion.

Personally, I think it's terrible as it operates 24hrs and the poorer users will be the ones unable to go out and just buy a newer vehicle (car or bike). My bike won't be compliant but realistically if I had to commute through London, I would just go buy a newer bike. I just haven't done so due to the recent spate of bike jackings.

Its just a knee jerk reaction without much thought on cause and effect. Then again, Sadiq couldn't sort the traffic out in his own constituency - Tooting - so I have no faith on him solving for London.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...through-london
I would actually join in on that if the weather isn't awful. At least someone is taking a stand - I am not saying that measures to improve air quality should not be taken however I am tired of the average motorist being persecuted. In a true democracy decisions such as this should be taken to some form of local vote, and not by some car hating Nazi like Khan.
Old 30th August 2017, 11:53 AM   #19
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ19ns View Post

I will say this again as I think its a really important point. It wasn't all that long ago that our government were encouraging said people to invest in economical diesel cars. Thats scandalous on its own - a U turn which will cost average people thousands.

I guess its just convenient that it will also mean people have to buy new cars and pay tax in many ways for them.....
Old 30th August 2017, 12:02 PM   #20
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

This is the final proposed area - the end goal (as set out in various other 'public' discussions) is to include the whole of London (the green bit) for all vehicles. This will directly affect me as my car and motorbike will not be compliant. Fine it will not happen any time soon, but I suspect if this is aloud to go on unchallenged we will see a large change to the zone area over the next 5-10years.

I cannot cycle to work, and will not take public transport. And while the prospect of buying an M2 or something daft does excite me I find it outrageous that people of London have been brainwashed to the extent that they will believe anything said to them. Is the motorist really a danger to the public? I think not, but Khan would certainly like you to think they were.

Last edited by TouringRob; 30th August 2017 at 12:05 PM.