The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Detailing, Valeting and Car care

Old 24th May 2018, 07:12 PM   #21
Yas Man
Achieved official socks

Car: 2016 BMW M4 Comp Pack

There's pros to both - ceramic is good for people who will maintain a good wash routine, two buckets and dry properly but wont bother with clay, tar removers, prep and wax top ups.

Waxing is good for people that want to take a real vested interest in their cars and put time and effort in to maintain an outstanding finish.

Either way both start with a proper paint prep and polish - without that, they are both a waste of time and money.

I will say one thing in favour of ceramic coatings, the hydrobaric properties of ceramic coats are way higher than waxes, this means dirt has a harder time bonding to ceramic coated paint and therefore ceramic coated cars and wheels are much easier to clean. Ceramic coats are much better on wheels also as they offer a better level of protection against hot brake dust than waxes.
Yas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 24th May 2018, 09:32 PM   #22
Moonstone
Achieved official socks

Car: 2018 RS5

Ceramic coatings should last a couple of years. Not six months. Their purpose is to act as a long lasting wax with hydrophobic properties. The finish is down to the prep beforehand. My car is much easier to keep clean and has a glossier, wet-look finish that lasts rather than me having to use glazes and waxes.

Thing is results all depend on how good the detailer is.
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 01:55 PM   #23
M3Dream
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 e46 Estoril Blue Convertible
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue / Champagne Leather

My dad had a quote from a body shop where he is having a dent done on his Range Rover sport. They quoted him 300 for ceramic coating, to me this seems way to cheap. What do you reckon guys I would of thought in the region of 600 to be done properly
M3Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 07:12 PM   #24
bimbob
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3

Coz its a bodyshop, they wont spend days prepping the car for a ceramic. Take it to a reputable pro detailer if you want it done right.
bimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 07:20 AM   #25
Edrx7
On the path

Car: 18 M3 CP INDIVIDUAL

When mine gets done I’m always there to ensure the right coating gets put on as I always get the top end products applied.....
Sounds way too cheap... I would think again
Edrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote