The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum
 

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2018, 12:48 PM   #41
PeteD
Wearing official robes
 
PeteD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Essex
Posts: 413
Car: e92 M3, Alpine White, Black/Carbon interior, Comp Pack
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcdad43 View Post
So no one ever has the mindset that they don't need to be careful and look after the car 'cos if something goes bang due to them ragging the car from cold or the like they got a warranty?

oki doki.

This sort of thing came up on a thread about newer cars under warranty and PCPs.

I agree that you either look after a car or you don't, but to say that some don't rely on the safety net of a warranty to mitigate the risks of their lack of care is a little optimistic IMHO.

A warranty gives piece of mind if you want it or need it, all I'm saying is that in some cases it can influence behaviour.

dcdad.
Didn't say this.... but you implied all were like this. I said just because you have a warranty doesn't automatically put you in the 'don't care' bracket.
One relies on this safety net when needed, doesn't mean they go out every day with the intention of trying to use it.
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 15th February 2018, 02:52 PM   #42
makavelli
Achieved official socks
 
makavelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,129
Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Mineral White/Fox Red & 2012 Audi A8 3.0TDI White/Black
Default

No one is saying or even implying that every single car under warranty is abused and owners do not care.

It's just that I feel generally a warranty is a comfort that if something did go wrong you wouldn't have to worry about what it cost and SOME people may therefore be inclined to show less mechanical sympathy to the car.

It could also be argued that some owners choose to extend the warranty as they do track time or drive the car aggressively on the road, do some euro road trips or trips to the ring etc.

There are many factors and obviously no generalisations can be made, however I feel (and see) many people with lease cars, courtesy cars and the like drive them with less care than if it was their own or if they were to be financially responsible for any repairs required.
makavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 03:09 PM   #43
djgandy
Achieved official socks
 
djgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 912
Car: Atlantis Blue E93 M3
Default

When my old 335i had turbo issues I used to treat it in a less than ideal manner to get them to the state they were bad enough for warranty to consider them requiring replacing.

The problem with the BMW warranty is when you have problems that aren't covered by a code in a computer it can be a complete PITA to get a claim through for something that is clearly broken or on its way out, but that is a PITA for the garage to put a claim through for.

Had I not had a warranty I'd have probably driven the car in a nicer way in order to put off that pending bill, but having a warranty made me feel I was entitled to repair and that the warranty part had already started to fail and it was just a matter of time before a big failure.

That is the point of a warranty.

If a bit of functionality that you never used stopped working and you were out of warranty, would I replace or repair it? Of course not you'd live with it.
If it was under warranty you would, because you get a nice shiny new thing for free and after all that's why you pay for a warranty.
djgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 03:59 PM   #44
makavelli
Achieved official socks
 
makavelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,129
Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Mineral White/Fox Red & 2012 Audi A8 3.0TDI White/Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
When my old 335i had turbo issues I used to treat it in a less than ideal manner to get them to the state they were bad enough for warranty to consider them requiring replacing.

The problem with the BMW warranty is when you have problems that aren't covered by a code in a computer it can be a complete PITA to get a claim through for something that is clearly broken or on its way out, but that is a PITA for the garage to put a claim through for.

Had I not had a warranty I'd have probably driven the car in a nicer way in order to put off that pending bill, but having a warranty made me feel I was entitled to repair and that the warranty part had already started to fail and it was just a matter of time before a big failure.

That is the point of a warranty.

If a bit of functionality that you never used stopped working and you were out of warranty, would I replace or repair it? Of course not you'd live with it.
If it was under warranty you would, because you get a nice shiny new thing for free and after all that's why you pay for a warranty.
Nail on the head mate.
makavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 04:11 PM   #45
dbryder
Wearing official underwear
 
dbryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 204
Car: 2013 E92 M3
Colour Combo: Alpine White, Black Novillo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makavelli View Post
Nail on the head mate.
If thats true, as the new buyer of the car with the impending issue you'd prefer that to having it fixed under warranty?

/shrug
dbryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 04:17 PM   #46
makavelli
Achieved official socks
 
makavelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,129
Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Mineral White/Fox Red & 2012 Audi A8 3.0TDI White/Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbryder View Post
If thats true, as the new buyer of the car with the impending issue you'd prefer that to having it fixed under warranty?

/shrug
Of course not, where have I said anything like that?
makavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 04:22 PM   #47
djgandy
Achieved official socks
 
djgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 912
Car: Atlantis Blue E93 M3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbryder View Post
If thats true, as the new buyer of the car with the impending issue you'd prefer that to having it fixed under warranty?

/shrug
I'm not sure I make sense of what you are saying. But as the seller of said car I wanted the issue fixed because I wouldn't want to sell a car with an impending issue and see my price knocked down.
djgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 06:01 PM   #48
dbryder
Wearing official underwear
 
dbryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 204
Car: 2013 E92 M3
Colour Combo: Alpine White, Black Novillo
Default

My comment was to makavelli not you djgandy.

He bold quoted your comment and took that as an example of his argument, but I disagree with the sentiment that someone who takes out warranty would then deliberately not look after the car. The example you gave was a 335i with a known issue and you trying to accelerate the 'warranty replacement'

IME Someone without a warranty covering that issue would be just as likely to punt the car on with the issue hoping that the buyer wouldn't notice.

Anyway its all personal choice, but I was actively looking for a car with warranty and paid less for one without because i knew of the price of reinstatement.
dbryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 07:46 AM   #49
PeteD
Wearing official robes
 
PeteD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Essex
Posts: 413
Car: e92 M3, Alpine White, Black/Carbon interior, Comp Pack
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbryder View Post
My comment was to makavelli not you djgandy.

He bold quoted your comment and took that as an example of his argument, but I disagree with the sentiment that someone who takes out warranty would then deliberately not look after the car. The example you gave was a 335i with a known issue and you trying to accelerate the 'warranty replacement'

IME Someone without a warranty covering that issue would be just as likely to punt the car on with the issue hoping that the buyer wouldn't notice.

Anyway its all personal choice, but I was actively looking for a car with warranty and paid less for one without because i knew of the price of reinstatement.
I think this is often true, not just with higher performance cars where the bills can be expensive, but also with your average daily diesel. Even dealers try to get away with this stuff sometimes. The main thing is that this behavior just shows a distinct lack of morals.

I think the fact that a large amount of people look for a car with a warranty shows the concern for mechanical failures with large bills is a risk people want to put a price on rather than have the unknown.

When I come to sell mine I will be selling it with 12 months comprehensive warranty as I think it is one of the best selling points you can offer..... especially on a private sale.
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 08:40 AM   #50
boba fett
Achieved official socks
 
boba fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kent
Posts: 8,030
Car: N/A
Default

I have found over the years, people without a warranty say is a waste of money, and people with one say its a must have.

Similar to biging up the cars we own sometimes more than they deserve, because we own them.

For me, they are a 60k to 70k car, with 70k parts. I also want the best for it, if it goes wrong (they are not bulletproof like the E46) so I want a BMW warranty for it.

It has nothing to do with how I will treat the car.
boba fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 08:45 AM   #51
Scutch
Achieved official socks
 
Scutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cleator Moor, Cumbria
Posts: 4,526
Car: 2012 Japan Red E92 M3 | 2008 UR Megane R26
Colour Combo: Japan Red/Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba fett View Post
I have found over the years, people without a warranty say is a waste of money, and people with one say its a must have.

Similar to biging up the cars we own sometimes more than they deserve, because we own them.

For me, they are a 60k to 70k car, with 70k parts. I also want the best for it, if it goes wrong (they are not bulletproof like the E46) so I want a BMW warranty for it.

It has nothing to do with how I will treat the car.
That comment about the E46 must have been tongue in cheek. I'd much rather had a warranty on that than the E92
Scutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 09:00 AM   #52
PeteD
Wearing official robes
 
PeteD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Essex
Posts: 413
Car: e92 M3, Alpine White, Black/Carbon interior, Comp Pack
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba fett View Post
I have found over the years, people without a warranty say is a waste of money, and people with one say its a must have.

Similar to biging up the cars we own sometimes more than they deserve, because we own them.

For me, they are a 60k to 70k car, with 70k parts. I also want the best for it, if it goes wrong (they are not bulletproof like the E46) so I want a BMW warranty for it.

It has nothing to do with how I will treat the car.
Exactly Boba.... having a warranty is just a was of putting a price on unexpected issues up front .

The E46 and E9* M's each have their own potential issues... having said that, my E46 was faultless in my ownership.
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 10:05 AM   #53
boba fett
Achieved official socks
 
boba fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kent
Posts: 8,030
Car: N/A
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scutch View Post
That comment about the E46 must have been tongue in cheek. I'd much rather had a warranty on that than the E92
Hence the Emoji !!
boba fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 12:27 PM   #54
makavelli
Achieved official socks
 
makavelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,129
Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Mineral White/Fox Red & 2012 Audi A8 3.0TDI White/Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbryder View Post
My comment was to makavelli not you djgandy.

He bold quoted your comment and took that as an example of his argument, but I disagree with the sentiment that someone who takes out warranty would then deliberately not look after the car. The example you gave was a 335i with a known issue and you trying to accelerate the 'warranty replacement'

IME Someone without a warranty covering that issue would be just as likely to punt the car on with the issue hoping that the buyer wouldn't notice.

Anyway its all personal choice, but I was actively looking for a car with warranty and paid less for one without because i knew of the price of reinstatement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
Exactly Boba.... having a warranty is just a was of putting a price on unexpected issues up front .

The E46 and E9* M's each have their own potential issues... having said that, my E46 was faultless in my ownership.
But you have ignored the fact that we are all petrol heads on here, I would like to think that every single one of us on here looks after our cars and spends more maintaining than the vast majority of the general public.

But we are a small minority on here, the majority of people with a car under warranty when they know it will always be fully covered would not show a car the mechanical sympathy we do.

Do you really think the average person with a s4, m3 or similar on a 3 year lease sits around considering their warm up procedure?
makavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 12:54 PM   #55
PeteD
Wearing official robes
 
PeteD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Essex
Posts: 413
Car: e92 M3, Alpine White, Black/Carbon interior, Comp Pack
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makavelli View Post
But you have ignored the fact that we are all petrol heads on here, I would like to think that every single one of us on here looks after our cars and spends more maintaining than the vast majority of the general public.

But we are a small minority on here, the majority of people with a car under warranty when they know it will always be fully covered would not show a car the mechanical sympathy we do.

Do you really think the average person with a s4, m3 or similar on a 3 year lease sits around considering their warm up procedure?
I can't argue with this ...... Rather be in our minority than the rest.

Given some of the 'shoddy' adverts I've seen for E9* cars lately I'm hoping this overly particular attitude will keep our well looked after cars at the top of the pile .
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 12:55 PM   #56
WinFreak
Achieved official socks
 
WinFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Holland → Surrey
Posts: 2,580
Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Colour Combo: Mineral White / Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makavelli View Post
Do you really think the average person with a s4, m3 or similar on a 3 year lease sits around considering their warm up procedure?
Nope, which is why all those bearings are fooked
WinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 02:39 PM   #57
Raif
Rocking a new hat
 
Raif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Norf London
Posts: 586
Car: E92 M3
Default

Your named component is a bargain. Mine was double that (mileage was 75k+)

It is worth it. I'm a qualified engineer but even if you take labour out of the equation I didn't fancy paying for a new crank should the worst happen. Annnnnnnnnd guess what. Spun a bearing at 81k and BMW replaced the ending with a fresh one which arrived on a crate from Germany. Ausgezeichnet.

That was my biggest fear so admittedly I cancelled the warranty after that because other likely failures (ABS pump, coil packs etc.) are all manageable in comparison
Raif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 PM.


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies this website uses, click here.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - 2014 M3cutters. All Rights Reserved.