The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Member Rides

Old 21st October 2017, 10:57 AM   #261
Matthead
Achieved official socks

Car: E36 328 S54
Colour Combo: White/black

I had another day out at snetterton yesterday. The track was soaking wet as it had been raining of and on for most of the night and kept raining throughout the day. I had collected a set of Dunlop wets from Malc (cheers dude!!) and had them rimmed up so I was excited/interested to see how they would perform, I have only heard great things about full race wets.
Oh boy are they good, sooooo much grip it's unbelievable. I hate the rain, I don't like being in it when I'm being paid at work so I hate being in it on a day off, and I've never enjoyed wet track days as I don't have much confidence track driving in the wet but these tyre have changed that. A little bit too much maybe, see this vid...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz1fHi_o8iY

Whoops.

After that little moment I got into it and enjoyed the day emmensly, the car performed well all day, no mechanical problems at all, I had raised the rear suspension 5mm and have no rubbing issues so the new wheels and tyres fit good so that's a relief!
I did notice that I had several mis-shifts during the day and every now and then it was a bit reluctant to get into gear, i noticed the clutch fluid is a very dark brown colour as aposed to the brake fluid being normal in colour, these were all done at the same time so I wonder if the fluid has gone or there is a problem with the clutch slave?

Some pics of the beast in its wet shoes,

And a vid of just being out on track,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDfP2ssJvk
Matthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 21st October 2017, 12:07 PM   #262
The Simps
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 BMW M3

Nice! Its a good feeling when you get these things all dialled in isn't it?!
The Simps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 06:18 PM   #263
malc
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 bmw e46 m3

The looks of those wets on your car Matt seem that you could go off roading,
Hang on a moment you did
That's the trouble with full wets they give so must confidence, especially at the bomb hole when the N/S is fully loaded and a bit of weight transfer, the back can break away with the slightest of power.
What pressures did you run the wets at?
The car is looking fantastic, and with plenty more wet or dry track days to come the rest of the year, keep up the good work
malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 06:51 PM   #264
Pdelamare
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3, Mercedes E63 5.5, Caterham Levante, Smart Prime

Nice.

The mini ahead of you must also have been on wets?
Pdelamare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 07:01 PM   #265
Ripper46
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 track car
Colour Combo: White, with spires colours and logos

Cars looking fantastic Matt, as Malc says the wets are awesome but can still bite you if your not careful
Ripper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 05:30 AM   #266
austracer
A mere Chipper

Car: 1996 M3 3.2L Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthead View Post
i noticed the clutch fluid is a very dark brown colour as aposed to the brake fluid being normal in colour, these were all done at the same time so I wonder if the fluid has gone or there is a problem with the clutch slave?
Unlike brakes, the clutch hydraulics/cylinders move a lot. That drags more dirt past piston seals so the clutch fluid gets dirty a lot quicker.
austracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 04:20 PM   #267
Matthead
Achieved official socks

A few pics of the old girl wobbling around silverstone a few days ago

EN9I6843 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

IJ6A7874 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

IJ6A7875 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

IJ6A8214 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

IJ6A8683 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

'Yaws a bit of a disappointing day for me on the whole, the car ran great and I had no mechanical issues but I just couldn't get any confidence in the car, the handling seemed awful, I struggled to get heat into the front slicks all day and spent most of it understeering through every corner. I had been struggling to get tyre temps on a warmish day at snetterton so I may have to try soft slicks next year.
That's probably it for me this year, over winter I have some ideas floating around in my head so I'll either be selling up and buying an e46 or keeping and going with a different wide arch set up, better suspension, full geo set up, switchable traction control, retro fit an abs set up, wet map, rewire, etc. If anyone is genuinely interested in the car give me a shout, I'm open to offers.
Old 5th December 2017, 06:54 PM   #268
billyboym3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3
Colour Combo: E46 M3

Mart don’t loose the will to live, it was hard to get heat into the slicks, track temps were very low. Mine didn’t dig in either, rear was struggling.

Tug it away and it will come good in March/April
billyboym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 07:16 PM   #269
Ripper46
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 track car
Colour Combo: White, with spires colours and logos

Agree with billy , track temps were very low and you weren't on your own struggling to get heat into the slicks , I've never experienced understeer in my car before , found myself tip toeing round most corners for much of the day , if I were you , unless you really fancy a change , put the car away till winter breaks and try it again , you'll probably find it completely different, maybe your lightweight car may prefer the soft slicks , got to be worth a try after all the hard work you've put into your car buddy
Ripper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 10:41 PM   #270
malc
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 bmw e46 m3

Have to echo in what's been said ^^^^
I don't think you will find what you are looking for in a e46 compared to your own beast.
Get a set of softs on it in the spring and it will be a weapon, after all the hard work and doller which have gone into what's its become today.
malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 07:04 AM   #271
mattpinder
On the path

Car: 1998 E36 328i

As above the winter temps don't like harder tyres, do you run a fully square tyre wheel combo? If so might be worth putting the 'fronts' on the rear for a session or two to get a bit of heat into them and then swap back.

The mk60 can be wired as standalone abs, got a friend who does this to other cars as a kit incase you want details?
mattpinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 09:10 AM   #272
PolarisCSL
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 Race Car & 3.0 CSL
Colour Combo: White & Silver

As others have said it seems a shame to give up on the e36 given they are still an extremely competitive platform. The cold weather wonít have helped for sure but I think there is a lot to work on your suspension/ wheel setup. E36er on here is extremely quick in his car despite running on 225 road legal tyres. Personally I think yours either needs more work to get it to a viable ride height and roll centre on the tyres you have or to revert to proven e36 territory with smaller wheels. Basically you need to get it a lot lower so the suspension works for you and not against, and then set it up properly - no need for tc, wet maps or anything else. Sorry to sound harsh but somebody needed to say it 👍
PolarisCSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 11:15 AM   #273
billyboym3
Achieved official socks

Lets book a day at Snett end of March. Id leave car as it is, maybe get it set up at Spires, fit some soft compound slicks. Its a weapon Matt and silverstone was really cold.
Old 6th December 2017, 03:52 PM   #274
Matthead
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboym3 View Post
Mart donít loose the will to live, it was hard to get heat into the slicks, track temps were very low. Mine didnít dig in either, rear was struggling.

Tug it away and it will come good in March/April
Yup, I think you may be right Billy, I was really disappointed with the car all day, it wasn't until I spoke to Ray and he mentioned he couldn't get the slicks hot, and I seem to recall you were doing big lap stints to get the heat up? I think I need to get some softs on and try again next year
Old 6th December 2017, 03:54 PM   #275
Matthead
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper46 View Post
Agree with billy , track temps were very low and you weren't on your own struggling to get heat into the slicks , I've never experienced understeer in my car before , found myself tip toeing round most corners for much of the day , if I were you , unless you really fancy a change , put the car away till winter breaks and try it again , you'll probably find it completely different, maybe your lightweight car may prefer the soft slicks , got to be worth a try after all the hard work you've put into your car buddy
Thanks Ray, I think you and all the boys are right, it was fecking cold wasn't it? I don't think I was in the right frame of mind all day to be honest, I was suffering from man flu which didn't help. Weak excuse I know, but hey!!
You car was looking awesome as usual, would really love to get some passenger laps in it one day mate
Old 6th December 2017, 03:55 PM   #276
Matthead
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
Have to echo in what's been said ^^^^
I don't think you will find what you are looking for in a e46 compared to your own beast.
Get a set of softs on it in the spring and it will be a weapon, after all the hard work and doller which have gone into what's its become today.
Cheers Malc, you know me, I've been having a bit of a wobble with the car for a while! I'll get some softs on and see what's what
Old 6th December 2017, 03:57 PM   #277
Matthead
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpinder View Post
As above the winter temps don't like harder tyres, do you run a fully square tyre wheel combo? If so might be worth putting the 'fronts' on the rear for a session or two to get a bit of heat into them and then swap back.

The mk60 can be wired as standalone abs, got a friend who does this to other cars as a kit incase you want details?
Yup, full square set up, probably tyre rotation would hurt. Good call.
I'd be very interested to here about the mk60 retrofit, I have no abs at all, no sensors, pump, ecu etc so I'd like to hear what can be done and costs
Old 6th December 2017, 04:05 PM   #278
Matthead
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisCSL View Post
As others have said it seems a shame to give up on the e36 given they are still an extremely competitive platform. The cold weather wonít have helped for sure but I think there is a lot to work on your suspension/ wheel setup. E36er on here is extremely quick in his car despite running on 225 road legal tyres. Personally I think yours either needs more work to get it to a viable ride height and roll centre on the tyres you have or to revert to proven e36 territory with smaller wheels. Basically you need to get it a lot lower so the suspension works for you and not against, and then set it up properly - no need for tc, wet maps or anything else. Sorry to sound harsh but somebody needed to say it 👍
Not harsh at all mate, I'm always open to hear what people have to say, especially racers, you are not wrong about Owen, (e36er) he can certainly get an e36 to shift!
I think you are 100% right in your comments, I'd forgotten that I had altered the suspension to aid with wheel/tyre fitment so it's all over the place. You are correct that the suspension needs work and it need to be A LOT lower for better handling, probably needs wider bodywork to raise the wheelarch's to get it lower. A better quality suspension than my hsd's would probably help too.
My only reason for an e46 is that I'm a big guy, 6'4, large (read fat!!) frame and the e36 does seem a small fit on me, I find some of the e46's I've been in including my own old road car feel a better fit for me, I'm not sure if this is purely a mind trick, I'm not sure how much bigger a 46 cockpit is compared to a 36.
Thanks for the comments though mate, it's all good to hear!
Old 6th December 2017, 04:06 PM   #279
Matthead
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboym3 View Post
Lets book a day at Snett end of March. Id leave car as it is, maybe get it set up at Spires, fit some soft compound slicks. Its a weapon Matt and silverstone was really cold.
Always up for that Billy
I think silverstone was bad cos peppa wasn't in the house
Old 7th December 2017, 08:58 AM   #280
billyboym3
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthead View Post
Always up for that Billy
I think silverstone was bad cos peppa wasn't in the house
Deffo, I couldnít bring it as itís worth a extra 50bhp and you boys would be jealous.

Seriously Matt, your car is awesome. Get some softs fitted. Iíd love to see what itís got round snett.