The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > General and Forum stuff > General Discussion

Old 16th March 2018, 10:56 AM   #61
325i
Wearing official underwear

Car: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM3 View Post
I thought it was BMW who approached Alpine about the 4.6 but Alpine could not make enough engines, so BMW made them under licence
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
It did start with the 4.6 and it was a mutual agreement. The idea was it was to be the first X5M but as Raj stated it was fully developed and styled by Alpina but BMW didn't want any Alpina branding but as the M division had no input they never badged it as such either.
Its a common misconception that the 4.8is was an Alpina engine which it was not.

Yes, the 4.6is was an Alpina engine from the B10. But the 4.8is engine was a standard engine from BMW 550/550i.

People wrongly assume the 4.8is is Alpina because its a 4.8 like the B10 V8S which was also 4.8. But a little search reveals that they aint the same.

Alpina used a highly tuned and modified M62 and 4.8is used N62B48. Look at the tech spec, the engine size, bore, compression ration, etc are all different.
325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 16th March 2018, 12:16 PM   #62
svvg
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 SMG

I thought the N62 was commonly used in the 5 series and 7 series, so they just pinched it from that?
svvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 12:28 PM   #63
325i
Wearing official underwear

Car: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by svvg View Post
I thought the N62 was commonly used in the 5 series and 7 series, so they just pinched it from that?
Yep correct. Stick any 4.8iS VIN into a VIN decoder and it will say N62
325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 01:58 PM   #64
Raj24v
Achieved official socks

Car: .

Love my N62 4.8 Absolute peach of an Engine.
Raj24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 02:45 PM   #65
tsinc
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Purple & Carbon

Just had the alternator changed on mine as it was causing all sorts of crazy electric issues. Hopefully it was that and there's nothing else as I've already changed all of the air suspension! Could do with just driving the thing now
tsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018, 07:57 PM   #66
ac456
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon black/ cinnamon

Well my air suspension is doing my head in now. Front end is now dropping if left for a few days. Suspension inact light is on and I also have a sensor fault when I plug in into INPA.

Thinking of ditching and fitting bc coilovers. Very popular in the US and allows me to set the hight how I want it. Only thing I am worried about is devaluing the car. In my eyes it's a major plus point as the air suspension in these is notorious for being ****.

What's everyone's thoughts- would it devalue or put you off?
ac456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018, 08:06 PM   #67
svvg
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 SMG

I always fix stuff regardless of cost (but do the work myself - so at least save on the labour). I like things to work as they should... but as regards value - if it’s an E53, the value is almost out of the car, and if it rides well, then the sort of person you’re likely to sell it to probably won’t care whether it’s standard or not? It’ll be a cheap car by the time you come to sell?
svvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018, 11:11 PM   #68
0asis2007
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 M3 SMG Coupe
Colour Combo: Individual Aegean Blue/Light Silver Grey Nappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac456 View Post
Well my air suspension is doing my head in now. Front end is now dropping if left for a few days. Suspension inact light is on and I also have a sensor fault when I plug in into INPA.

Thinking of ditching and fitting bc coilovers. Very popular in the US and allows me to set the hight how I want it. Only thing I am worried about is devaluing the car. In my eyes it's a major plus point as the air suspension in these is notorious for being ****.

What's everyone's thoughts- would it devalue or put you off?
Given how notoriously troublesome (and expensive) the air suspension is on these models, I’d say it would be a positive selling point if you’d replaced the original set up with some decent aftermarket coilovers..... it would be for me, in any case!

Unless your car is a particularly low mileage, pristine example, I think these models are now of an age where most buyers would prefer the hassle-free suspension solution rather than originality
0asis2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 06:07 PM   #69
ac456
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0asis2007 View Post
Given how notoriously troublesome (and expensive) the air suspension is on these models, Iíd say it would be a positive selling point if youíd replaced the original set up with some decent aftermarket coilovers..... it would be for me, in any case!

Unless your car is a particularly low mileage, pristine example, I think these models are now of an age where most buyers would prefer the hassle-free suspension solution rather than originality
Exactly my thinking to be honest. Some low mileage examples are selling for good money. Although mine has 100k I'd like it to be one of the good ones. You actually came and saw it shortly after I bought it... dropped the e46 exhaust off to me. I'm lining you up to buy the x5 when I sell it haha.
Old 16th May 2018, 07:19 PM   #70
0asis2007
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 M3 SMG Coupe
Colour Combo: Individual Aegean Blue/Light Silver Grey Nappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac456 View Post
Exactly my thinking to be honest. Some low mileage examples are selling for good money. Although mine has 100k I'd like it to be one of the good ones. You actually came and saw it shortly after I bought it... dropped the e46 exhaust off to me. I'm lining you up to buy the x5 when I sell it haha.
Lol I remember mate, grey with black leather!
Donít tempt me, itís still one of my bucket list cars.....
0asis2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 08:19 PM   #71
ac456
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0asis2007 View Post
Lol I remember mate, grey with black leather!
Donít tempt me, itís still one of my bucket list cars.....
That's the one... slowely getting it up to standard.