The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > BMW Diagnostic, programming and software discussion

Old 10th April 2018, 03:05 PM   #1
M3 Carbon
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 M3 Convertible SOLD e70 X5 and Abarth 500 SOLD Golf R STOLEN Audi S3 SOLD 2018 M2 LCI KEEPER
Colour Combo: Mineral Grey
Default Apple CarPlay via ConnectedDrive Store

I'm confused.

So having collected my new M2 I went online to the ConnectedDrive store to see what other Apps and services I could add to my car. I decided to order the Apple CarPlay Preparation for 235.00.

However, when I registered and added my car to my ConnectedDrive user area by entering the chassis number it tells me Apple CarPlay is not available for my vehicle. I thought this was odd as I've seen M2's with CarPlay, also a couple of dealers I spoke with before buying the car said it can be added via the ConnectedDrive store. That made sense to me as the wording and price on the ConnectedDrive store is the same as the wording and price on the new car configurator (Apple CarPlay Preparation 235)

I called BMW Customer Services and spoke with a few people and one guy in ConnectedDrive support told me that when the car was specced by the dealer they needed to add 'Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging' as well as Apple CarPlay Preparation in order for the Apple CarPlay to work.

I'm not sure this can be right. If you spec a car on the BMW UK website configurator when you select 'Apple CarPlay preparation' in the optional equipment section it makes no mention anywhere that you need to also select the 'Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging' at an extra 395 too in order for CarPlay to work. You can even buy the car online once you have chosen your final spec and at no point does it state you need to also select 'Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging' before ordering.

This doesn't make any sense to me. BMW have been no use so far and can't answer the question.

Can anybody help who has got Apple CarPlay in their M2? Did you need to spec 'Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging' for it to work. Or has anybody added Apple CarPlay to their car through the ConnectedDrive store with already having 'Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging' after they bought the car.

Any advice or help much appreciated.

Thanks.
M3 Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10th April 2018, 05:07 PM   #2
dino
Achieved official socks

Car: 2018 M2
Colour Combo: Black/Black

It deffo wont work without enhanced Bluetooth/WiFi. I think on the configurator it adds those items when selecting Carplay.

I wouldnt worry too much mate. I wanted CarPlay too but it has really limited functionality.

Apple maps is crap
iMessage is just dictating to Siri (which you can do direct to your phone anyways)
Apple Music? Only if you Subscribe
Spotify? It's on the iDrive already.

No big loss mate trust me.
dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 01:23 PM   #3
M3 Carbon
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 M3 Convertible SOLD e70 X5 and Abarth 500 SOLD Golf R STOLEN Audi S3 SOLD 2018 M2 LCI KEEPER
Colour Combo: Mineral Grey

Dino. Thanks for the reply. I agree Apple CarPlay isn't amazing but the text message function is useful, and also I use Apple Music. Would be good to get it working. One guy told me he has an M2 with Apple CarPLay but he does not have Enhanced Bluetooth. The configurator doesn't make any mention that you need both options for it to work. How do you know if deffo won't work? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.
M3 Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote